Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 07 Aug 2017 (Monday) 17:46
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Thoughts? Little girls

mamaof2
Goldmember
Joined May 2014
Aug 07, 2017 17:46 |  #1

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4381/36245968352_d4532a09d4_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XdW4​AQ] (external link)Untitled (external link) by Jessi (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4344/36245955362_f52037bebd_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/XdVZ​JS] (external link)Untitled (external link) by Jessi (external link), on Flickr

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 07, 2017 19:16 |  #2

I'd suggest a re-shoot. She looks angry in #1. She needs light in her eyes in #2 (fill flash).
But, if you had to work on these, crop out the blown area at the top of #1 and clone out the black dead weed behind her.
In #2 I'd try lightening shadows in her eyes and I'd crop for a vertical to eliminate most of the right oof flowers.

-- Image Editing OK --

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 09, 2017 00:56 |  #3

#1 is exposed too high. She looks angry, as Qbx said. (Tensed lips, eyebrows drawn down and together(?), nostril flared.)
#2 is showing the overcast day; shoot at a better time.

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || TT560

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 09, 2017 01:35 |  #4

What's wrong with a stern expression? It's a valid portrait. Why should we only have portraits of people smiling?

#1 is OK.

In #2 the flower is competing and getting in the way.

Lighting is OK.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

mamaof2
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2014
Aug 09, 2017 06:02 |  #5

Thanks for the feedback

Jessi
T4i/Nifty fifty/ 18-55/ DCR 250 macro attachment/ 55-250 stm/ Few old film lenses
flickrexternal link

paintedlotus
334 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Aug 09, 2017 17:23 |  #6

for what it's worth, the most distracting thing to me is the extreme magenta cast to the girl's face (and a bit on her arm) in #1. It makes her look like she's holding her breath.

6D, Gripped 5Dc, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 lying around somewhere with a dead bug inside it, Einstein & CC & stuff, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white), PCB beauty dish (old style), Elinchrom beauty dish, Rice Bowl 90cm, a few umbrellas and 4-foot Octo, Canon 430EX II, Travel Angel tripod & Manfrotto ball head, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 09, 2017 22:25 |  #7

Alveric wrote in post #18422878 (external link)
What's wrong with a stern expression? It's a valid portrait. Why should we only have portraits of people smiling?

#1 is OK.

In #2 the flower is competing and getting in the way.

Lighting is OK.

Indeed a stern people portrait is valid. I've done some myself. But a little girl in a field of flowers somehow doesn't comport with anger or sternness to me. An old geezer sitting in a bar holding an empty glass -- yeah! Another thing about this one is that lens flare on her left arm.

-- Image Editing OK --

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 12, 2017 11:13 |  #8

icor1031 wrote in post #18422838 (external link)
#1 is exposed too high. She looks angry, as Qbx said. (Tensed lips, eyebrows drawn down and together(?), nostril flared.)
#2 is showing the overcast day; shoot at a better time.

Wouldn't it be always better overcast vs bright sunny day?

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
uk
Sep 02, 2017 08:07 |  #9

Go black and white and blow the highlights. I've just coverted them and, to me, they look quite good.

sponsored links

648 views & 1 like for this thread
Thoughts? Little girls
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.