Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 09 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 17:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Looking for Tripod for my setup

CDN_Merlin
183 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Aug 09, 2017 17:27 |  #1

I have a Canon T2i and a Sigma 150-600 Sport and I'm currently looking at:

MANFROTTO MT055XPRO3 ALUMINUM 3 SECTION TRIPOD
JOBU JUNIOR 3 KIT

Would this be enough?

I don't want to break the bank as this setup is pretty expensive as it is but would like opinions for comparison.

Thanks.

Canon 7D MK II, Canon 18-55 IS USM, Sigma 150-600mm Sports, Battery Grip,

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 2 months ago by MalVeauX.
Aug 09, 2017 17:58 |  #2

It would be over-kill, but it's basically a life-time purchase that will be overkill for most things you throw at it. Though personally I would not look at that tripod, I'd look at a bigger base one. At this price point, you might as well spend $1k and get an end-game forever setup.

That said, I for one like to keep it within reason. I've used bigger stuff and found it was great, but maybe over-priced for what it was doing with my light weight kit (1D series, 600mm like yours, etc).

Here's what I did for the budget, but really good, approach:

Benro A2970F Tripod.

It was $150 when I got it. Really sturdy. Takes the weight. Tall enough for me and my uses. Allows me to do a big heavy load. Allows me to do delicate setups at close range for water landscapes, macro, etc. Discontinued now. But there are lots of equivalents in this range, like what you already posted. It handled my short lenses, all weights, for long exposure while in moving water, and I was able to get several minutes of vibration free exposures. Really sturdy and durable tripod for the cost. I wanted a versatile tripod for landscape in the water, weird positions, macro, etc, and also to be able to handle a long lens with a gimbal. I don't want several sets of legs. So I wanted it to be enough beef to take all that, but still as light as I could go without hurting that versatility and without breaking the bank on lighter materials and bigger names.

Here's an alternative beast that I would consider if you want a big platformer: Induro GIT204 (external link). Overkill for the light weight 150-600, but if you ever get something heavier in the future, it will do it with room to spare.

Opteka GH1 Gimbal. (external link)

$99 these days new. Several rebrands exist under other names, so shop around, save a buck. Before springing on a $400+ gimbal, I figured I'd test the waters on the Chinese copies. So after a lot of research I went and got the Gh1 on Amazon. I figured, if nothing else, it's not expensive and I can always return it. I picked it up. First thing I did was greased it by taking all the nuts/bolts/etc out, to get some proper lubrication in there (you never know how long things sit and in what conditions). Tightened it all up. Put it on the tripod. Mounted my heaviest setup with longest focal length (600mm) and went to panning birds in the wind. It handled really well! Smooth was butter. Was such a good experience for the cost, that I kept it. I still use it. I didn't bother spending on the $400+ one. This did the job. Maybe I would think differently, if I had a heavier lens. But for my 150-600 and 1D, it handles it no problem. I think if I had a 500 F4 or heavier (F2.8 supers), then maybe I would have felt the need for a beefier gimbal. But for the light weight 150-600's, the GH1 did it with flying colors.

Alternative, look at Manfroto's 393 (external link) at $180. It's great.

+++++++++++++++

Here's my cheap Benro & Opteka ($250 total for this setup):

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7326/16178465258_0301ee4d6a_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qDCS​5b] (external link)IMG_1936 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1450/23922779760_30d57e8d74_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/CrYu​Y1] (external link)225H8010 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

CDN_Merlin
THREAD ­ STARTER
183 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
Aug 10, 2017 10:05 |  #3

Thanks for this info. I'll be doing more research now.

Canon 7D MK II, Canon 18-55 IS USM, Sigma 150-600mm Sports, Battery Grip,

478 views & 1 like for this thread
Looking for Tripod for my setup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.