Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 10 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 09:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Moving to Fuji

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 10, 2017 09:41 |  #1

The release of the 6DMKII was the last straw.. No 4K..No dual slot..old sensor tech.. After 10 years.. Goodbye Canon and hello Fuji !!!!!

I am looking for lens recommendations for weddings and events. Also anyone one out there shooting sports with the Xt2?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

sponsored links
PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by PineBomb.
Aug 10, 2017 09:50 |  #2

There's an active Fuji group under the Other Digital Cameras section of the forum. You'll find plenty of discussion and sample images there.

EDIT: I believe most of the contrutors there are former or concurrent Canon shooters.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 10, 2017 09:55 |  #3

PineBomb wrote in post #18423963 (external link)
There's an active Fuji group under the Other Digital Cameras section of the forum. You'll find plenty of discussion and sample images there.

EDIT: I believe most of the contrutors there are former or concurrent Canon shooters.

Thanks for the recommendation !!!!

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
Joined Apr 2014
Psych Ward, East Wing, USA
Aug 10, 2017 13:17 |  #4

scorpio_e wrote in post #18423972 (external link)
Thanks for the recommendation !!!!

Don't mention it. If you stop by and say hello, be sure to say that I sent you. It may finally put me over the top for the steak knives. ;-)a

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 10, 2017 13:24 |  #5

I did the same thing last month for the same reason.

Love my Xt-2 and the glass is incredible. For the lights look at eh 2.4Ghz Godox stuff.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,205 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Aug 10, 2017 14:36 |  #6

I wish I had the guts to jump, but every time I play with one, or a Sony, the EVF feels too weird for me, love the build quality, but, no, just too alien to use. But then I see thew pics on the Fuji threads, or the Sony threads, and......

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 10, 2017 14:37 |  #7

It IS a new learning experience for sure... but all that will work it's way through with time.

I'd say if you are making your living from your gear then making any jump to a non-familiar platform would be a really stupid idea.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 10, 2017 15:08 |  #8

I did take the XT10 out on vacation in June. Loved the RAW files..
My transition will be slow and I have been looking at a lot of youtube videos *LOL*

I am thinking about the 18 to 55.. the 50 to 140 for now.. I did hear the 35 F2 was really sharp.. WR is a nice feature:)

I am deep in the Godox system and when I heard about the Fuji compatibility..another push in the right direction.:)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 10, 2017 15:24 |  #9

Do get the 18-55mm "kit" lens, it is a real workhorse, and the IQ is up there in at least "L" zoom category.

Some of the affordable ones are worth a play too,. the 27mm f/2.8 is small and plastic, lacks the aperture ring, but it is a great little pancake for ultra portability.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can get a "mini 85L" with the 56mm f/1.2 :)

That 50-140 is super pricey and really BIG for the Fuji system, but I bet it's awesome.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Post has been edited 2 months ago by scorpio_e.
Aug 10, 2017 15:35 |  #10

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18424220 (external link)
Do get the 18-55mm "kit" lens, it is a real workhorse, and the IQ is up there in at least "L" zoom category.

Some of the affordable ones are worth a play too,. the 27mm f/2.8 is small and plastic, lacks the aperture ring, but it is a great little pancake for ultra portability.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can get a "mini 85L" with the 56mm f/1.2 :)

That 50-140 is super pricey and really BIG for the Fuji system, but I bet it's awesome.

Thanks for the input Jake !!!! Greatly appreciated:)

I have the 70 to 200 L V2 so it would be an even trade for 50-140 or close ..

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 10, 2017 16:41 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18424220 (external link)

I picked it up used from CL for $950. It's too large to take to Ireland tomorrow so I traded with a buddy for his 18-135 for the trip.

scorpio_e
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
Pa
Aug 10, 2017 17:07 as a reply to FarmerTed1971's post |  #12

WOW !!!!! that is a GREAT deal !!!!!!

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 10, 2017 17:12 |  #13

The 18-135 is not that fast... but it's really sharp and very compact. These Fuji lenses astound me.

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Aug 10, 2017 21:01 |  #14

Welcome! As mentioned the 50-140 is not cheap but as a wedding photog you will see so much use from it. Pair it with the 16-55 2.8 and you are set.:-D

Your image can chosen for the Best Of gallery only if it is in your own member gallery.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Post has been edited 2 months ago by AlanU.
Aug 11, 2017 03:03 |  #15

scorpio_e wrote in post #18423954 (external link)
The release of the 6DMKII was the last straw.. No 4K..No dual slot..old sensor tech.. After 10 years.. Goodbye Canon and hello Fuji !!!!!

I am looking for lens recommendations for weddings and events. Also anyone one out there shooting sports with the Xt2?

Not sure why you dont consider the 5d3 if your still considering Canon mirrored bodies. Or jump into a nikon d750 that isn't in the list of recalls. Is 4k absolutely mandatory??

If your truly going for fuji I'd highly suggest you only consider the new f/2 generation primes for most events shooting due to AF speed. The 16mm and 56mm are acceptable in capturing spontaneous pivotal moments (father wiping tears, mother/father son/daughter etc). the 55-200, 18-55, and other older original generation Fuji lenses are sluggish. I'd rather use a 35mm f/2 over the 35 f/1.4 due to better AF speed in the F/2 version. however it's nice to have f/1.4 when you have the luxury of time.

16-55 and 50-140mm is absolutely imperative to cover your ground. The 10-24mm f/4 is probably too slow for aperture but AF is acceptable.

Godox is the newest offerings for dedicated fuji stuff. Even with my brief research there seems to be a gradual movement for this newer "fuji" designated flash setup.

If your jumping in I'd say it's absolutely necessary to buy a battery booster for an x-t2 for wedding work. If your tiny primary battery dies as you've become overwhelmed your in serious trouble. If I was jumping in Fuji for wedding work I would buy two X-t2 both with battery boosters. I would only use OEM batteries too just for piece of mind. Sounds like Watson is a decent 3rd party battery. I've been using a battery called UPSTART and it seems to be ok and almost similar to OEM fuji batteries. I only buy 3rd party because fuji is my secondary system for pleasure only.

For my fun events work (unpaid) I've used my X-T10 and the AF speed did not keep up with my standards. I missed alot of shots both with my 16mm and 10-24mm lens. The X-t2 was a pleasant improvement in AF but I still feel Fuji must work harder in putting a faster processor in the Camera bodies. I still feel the AF lag for quick paced stuff but for most general use I find the Fuji AF to be adequate.

I just took this photo today. Simple photo to take for any semi modern camera to track. AF-C with an X-t10 IMO would be somewhat painful to obtain this photo.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
Photo from AlanU's gallery.

If I took this photo with an old 6d I might have been able to do it "ok". The new 6dmk2 would have been able to do faster movement shots will very little effort. The 6d2 really has the lack of dual memory slots to kill the deal for me for professional use if i was buying into a system. I can handle the 1/4000 max shutter speed. But the Canon and Nikon world still have all kinds of choices for reliable advanced remote flash systems with HSS/ETTL.

Fuji is without a doubt catching up. I would say majority of fuji wedding photogs do not use much remote flash during events compared to your more common Nikon/Canon wedding shooter. Possibly my observations is probably due to less Fuji wedding photogs vs Nikon/canon and even sony.

There are strong loyal shooters from Canon/Nikon/Sony and fuji. I have a very strong bond with Canon when it comes to remote flash work and events photography. When it comes to Fuji i absolutely love shooting with the system if I had to do posed shots like headshots/posed studio family sessions/product shots etc. For my casual photography and when I have a luxury of time the Fuji really works well.

Only high stress fast paced events photography I do not have confidence in the Fuji at the moment. I'm still doing research on godox flash system but that is only one of the reasons for using Canon over Fuji. I use remote flash for receptions for more dynamic lighting. If your a bounced flash kinda guy the fuji will probably work for you. However I mention this often that the Red focus assist grid from a Canon/Nikon speedlight on the dance floor will assure you virtually perfect autofocus on the reception dance floor. So far my experience with Fuji with speedlight in low light has not been very confident as the mirrorless cannot take advantage of that technology. In fact I have experienced more color shift in warmer white balance using remote flash with Fuji compared to my Canon gear.

I'm genuinely working hard to make push fuji into my primary system. High iso is good but you will have an easier time recovering an 6dmk2 file even with the older sensor tech regarding dynamic range. Low light AF the Canon will land the shots in low light as well as virtually perfectly acquiring AF using red focus assist grid with speedlight during reception work. Zero manual manual focus required in landing a shot as your AF will not fail you in Canon or Nikon during a dark low lit environment. So far with my X-t2 and current lenses I own I still get the indication that I cannot land the focus in low light....arghhhhhhhhh My 5d3 does not really struggle in this regard in AF.

Before you go gang busters in buying gear. I suggest renting or borrowing fuji gear for your next wedding. You'd be lying if you feel you will not wet your pants when you AF fails you in low light even with a fuji dedicated speedlight. It certainly was a rude awakening when I attempted to shoot a casual event with an Xt10 and Xe2 with new firmware. I now know and met a good handful of wedding photogs owning fuji as a secondary and they still cannot use fuji as a primary.

Am I a Fuji Hater??? absolutely not!!!! The Fuji system is incredible in producing amazing files. Tools are tools and I select hardware / gear for specific reasons. A 5dmk4 is heavier but has better AF speed and accuracy, excellent battery life, destroys my xt2 in high iso, amazing dynamic range, excellent native flash speedlights, 4k, more lens selection etc. The 5dmk4 will be easier in post processing to deal with errors you've made in exposure.

I cannot see myself selling off my fuji gear. I've created some incredible images from that camera system. Only when fuji can even become on par with a 5dmk3/5dmk4 in AF, especially in reliable low light AF......I can use Fuj as a primary system. In the meantime I'll be adding more fuji lenses eventually to my gearlist for my pleasure use with complete happiness.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links

3,509 views & 70 likes for this thread
Moving to Fuji
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.