Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 10 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 12:27
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Consumer Reports pulls support for Surface laptops

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Aug 23, 2017 12:59 as a reply to post 18430989 |  #16

http://www.pcworld.com ...cost-of-sleek-design.html (external link)

filmuser
Joined Jul 2016
Aug 23, 2017 13:16 as a reply to post 18434879 |  #17

https://www.pcper.com ...p-Gets-Zero-Repairability (external link)

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been edited 3 months ago by drmaxx.
Aug 23, 2017 13:40 |  #18

Tony-S wrote in post #18424060 (external link)
Apparently, a 25% failure rate in the first two years is the principal reason.

From the article:

It estimates Microsoft’s laptops and tablets will experience breakage rates of 25% within two years of ownership, loosely defined as any issue that comes up that prevents the computer from working as the owner expects.

Seriously? This is not a very informative way to estimate breakage rates. With this definition 100% of all marriages will be counted as broken :p.

I do have a surface book and I can understand where the 25% is coming from - but to define that as breakage rate is a kind of steep.

Donate if you love POTN

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,827 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 23, 2017 14:52 |  #19

As someone that strongly emphasizes the importance of customer service and reliability of the products I spend hard earned money for, I have no idea where you are coming from.

Virtually everything I own has been trouble free by that definition. (unless it was purchased as a "project" )

When it doesn't, someone gets to spend a lot of time talking to me until it meets my expectations.

I have power tools and camera gear that has gone 10-30 years trouble free.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by EverydayGetaway. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 24, 2017 02:53 |  #20

Ok, apparently I wasn't clear the last time, or you missed it... so let me quote myself...

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18430828 (external link)
That's the price you pay for any small and efficient device. I don't know of any tablet computers that can really be taken apart (or are supposed to be).

Still true.

Also, again, still doable as evidenced above... not really any different from any other tablet computer.

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18435161 (external link)
As someone that strongly emphasizes the importance of customer service and reliability of the products I spend hard earned money for, I have no idea where you are coming from.

Virtually everything I own has been trouble free by that definition. (unless it was purchased as a "project" )

When it doesn't, someone gets to spend a lot of time talking to me until it meets my expectations.

I have power tools and camera gear that has gone 10-30 years trouble free.

I buy things along a similar guideline and have also spent much time on the phone with CS to sort out faulty products. No problems so far with my Surface Pro, but I've basically just bought it (about a month ago).

Like any other product, you have to decide what will work best for what you're needs are. I needed the best screen I could get for the money in a small portable device with a keyboard and pen option and I wanted a full system OS for complete apps like LR, PS, the Nik suite and game emulators. Point me to another device that fits that bill for $600 (what I paid for my i5 Surface Pro 4) and I'll eat my shorts ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

1,769 views & 3 likes for this thread
Consumer Reports pulls support for Surface laptops
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.