Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 10 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 16:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

New York City for your critique

Mare333
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 10, 2017 16:40 |  #1

Hello everyone so I'm back. I took it upon myself to photograph famous landmarks in Greenwich Village, New York City. Greenwich Village is a special and a favorite place for me. Here is my first image - Café Wha. Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix used to perform there as well as many other famous musicians. I am really interested in your opinions and critiques for this one. The settings were as follows: Nikon D3300 in manual mode, 18-55mm lens at 18mm focal length, I was standing pretty close, f/6.3 to make sure it's not too bright, ISO 400 and NO flash. I shot in RAW but saved it as JPEG to post on here. Please let me know what you think, thanks:-)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 11, 2017 00:54 |  #2

It seemed a little flat to me. In Lightroom I boosted clarity by 30 and vibrance by 20 and I think it looked better.

-- Image Editing OK --

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Aug 12, 2017 08:26 |  #3

A human presence would have made it more interesting. Anyone not familiar with this landmark would not likely be impressed. The question in their minds would be "Why should this be interesting to me?"

This looks like a side door. Any reason you cut off the storefront? Try coming back at a different time of day when the lights are on.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 12, 2017 18:58 |  #4

Qbx wrote in post #18424641 (external link)
It seemed a little flat to me. In Lightroom I boosted clarity by 30 and vibrance by 20 and I think it looked better.

Thank you, would you mind posting the image with your edits.

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 12, 2017 19:01 |  #5

joedlh wrote in post #18425683 (external link)
A human presence would have made it more interesting. Anyone not familiar with this landmark would not likely be impressed. The question in their minds would be "Why should this be interesting to me?"

This looks like a side door. Any reason you cut off the storefront? Try coming back at a different time of day when the lights are on.

Thank you. You bring a valid point that anyone who is not familiar with this landmark wouldn't be in awe, but that's why I put a little explanation. It's a pretty known place in New York and it's not the side door it's the actual entrance to the café. Anyway thanks again for your time and your opinion.

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 12, 2017 19:30 as a reply to Qbx's post |  #6

Here it is. If you ever go there again, get a shot just as the lights come on if you can; barring that, try an HDR.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-- Image Editing OK --

Mare333
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2017
Aug 13, 2017 20:17 |  #7

Qbx wrote in post #18426200 (external link)
Here it is. If you ever go there again, get a shot just as the lights come on if you can; barring that, try an HDR.

thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Qbx in
./showthread.php?p=184​26200&i=i121971611
forum: Critique Corner

Thank you very much for posting. I can see a different mood portrayed with what you've done to the image. It's brighter and more vibrant. Thanks for bothering to fix it and then posting here :-)

Power620
197 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Aug 14, 2017 11:38 |  #8

Would like to see if processed in HDR...... :love:

Canon PowerShot A620
My Flickrexternal link

Qbx
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 14, 2017 12:37 |  #9

Power620 wrote in post #18427367 (external link)
Would like to see if processed in HDR...... :love:

OP, do you have a RAW image? If so, you can do a decent HDR.

-- Image Editing OK --

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by kf095. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 14, 2017 13:36 |  #10

It is really documenting. Next to scan.

Waiting for less flat light and taking it not from straight angle might bring some life in it.
Check Fred Herzog's documentary of Vancouver.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

591 views & 2 likes for this thread
New York City for your critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.