Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 12 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 21:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Critique #3

icor1031
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 3 months ago by icor1031.
Aug 12, 2017 21:54 |  #1

RFC! (Request for Comments)

This is the best studio shoot I've ever had (More to come from this shoot.)
Now, obliterate me! I must improve. Tell me everything I did wrong so I can fix it! :)

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/5dCF8WQ.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/fQ44R2o.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/nJQX9kA.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/4VANMRc.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/fQAYqMW.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/iGJ8SSR.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/JbYIjpI.jpg

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/oFJYrTq.jpg

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

sponsored links
OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 12, 2017 23:34 |  #2

icor1031 wrote in post #18426283 (external link)
RFC! (Request for Comments)

This is the best studio shoot I've ever had (More to come from this shoot.)
Now, obliterate me! I must improve. Tell me everything I did wrong so I can fix it! :)

I don't think you did much wrong at all. These are nice. Disclaimer: I don't do this kind of photography; experts will be along soon.

As for the obliteration you requested: Your main light still seems a bit too strong or too close. Some highlights on nose, cheekbones, shoulders, and so forth are almost white. This light emphasizes the skin texture on the model's forehead, which is probably bumpier than she'd like. In #s 3 and 4, upper chest is too light for balance with other skin tones.

In #2, the ends of hair sticking out in front of the dress are awkward.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 12, 2017 23:39 |  #3

OhLook wrote in post #18426317 (external link)
I don't think you did much wrong at all. These are nice. Disclaimer: I don't do this kind of photography; experts will be along soon.

As for the obliteration you requested: Your main light still seems a bit too strong or too close. Some highlights on nose, cheekbones, shoulders, and so forth are almost white. This light emphasizes the skin texture on the model's forehead, which is probably bumpier than she'd like. In #s 3 and 4, upper chest is too light for balance with other skin tones.

In #2, the ends of hair sticking out in front of the dress are awkward.

Thanks!

As for #2 - that's the reason I didn't put my mark on it. But I posted it anyway to see if others would complain. :)

(2) Canon 6D || Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2 || Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 || Sigma 85mm f/1.4 || Helios 44-2 58mm f/2 || Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art || Canon 24mm f/2.8 || Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 || (2) Eg-S Focusing Screen
T3i || Elan 7n || Cotton Carrier || Streaklight 360 || i1display Pro || Colormunki Photo

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Post has been edited 3 months ago by saea501.
Aug 13, 2017 07:12 |  #4

Don't push yourself so hard....you are improving. It will come. Heck, I've been shooting for almost 50 years........I'm still waiting for it to come.  :p

Picture 1 I might have pushed her hair back a bit from her right eye and the hair shadows on her chest are a little odd. Easily removed. OhLook already mentioned the hair tassel on her breast in picture 2. I might have had her look at the camera in that one as well. Picture 3 she looks a little bored and 4 she looks kind of mad. Picture 5 and 8 are the hair over her eye thing again.

These seem considerably better than your other efforts. She's a cute girl. You should shoot more of her.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
Joined Apr 2012
Latvia and Lithuania
Aug 13, 2017 11:27 |  #5

Lighting wise - all is good, mate.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

paintedlotus
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Aug 14, 2017 15:31 |  #6

These look pretty good, I like the color palette and tone. Overall the highlights are a bit too hot and shadows are a bit too deep, but they're decent. Here are my thoughts:

1 - Hair in her face blocking her eye and casting a shadow on her cheek; said hair is causing a weird shadow pattern on her chest
2 - Would have been fantastic had she been looking at the camera
3 - She looks a bit bored and the lack of right arm is a bit weird
4 - Not great. She looks pissed, like someone just catcalled her or something and she's just about to say "SERIOUSLY???"
5 - Better, but the hair over the one half of her face looks like a mistake instead of a deliberate choice
6 - Decent profile portrait, not spectacular but certainly not bad.
7 - Great smiling portrait, but the light would be more flattering if it was less off to the side - it's emphasizing the bags under her eyes. The light off to the right side is casting a hard highlight on her left cheek that looks odd
8 - Best of the bunch, too bad about that hair still covering almost half of her face. It's a standard "smiling" portrait which may be boring to some people, but the connection with the camera is good and the posing is decent, so that makes it a win.

Are you post processing these at all?

Hope this helps! :)

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), 100mm macro, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, slightly melted Einstein, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 3 months ago by icor1031.
Aug 14, 2017 16:17 |  #7

paintedlotus wrote in post #18427562 (external link)
Are you post processing these at all?

Hope this helps! :)

I removed a few blemishes, set consistent white balance and added my watermark.
I've found that studio shoots usually come out worse with LR adjustment; depends on the picture, of course: but this seems to apply in general.

Yes, thank you!

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 14, 2017 22:31 |  #8

Two questions:

Is there software that can easily reduce the highlights without also make my model look like porcelain?

How could she have changed her makeup to prevent the highlights? What did she do to cause that?

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 15, 2017 08:27 |  #9

icor1031 wrote in post #18427925 (external link)
Two questions:

Is there software that can easily reduce the highlights without also make my model look like porcelain?

How could she have changed her makeup to prevent the highlights? What did she do to cause that?

Not software per se, but you can remove those shiny spots while editing in frequency separation.

With regard to question 2, a MUA I'm sure can answer this, or maybe one of the ladies here can help with this. I always thought powder would reduce the shines.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,173 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Aug 15, 2017 10:29 |  #10

saea501 wrote in post #18428198 (external link)
Not software per se, but you can remove those shiny spots while editing in frequency separation.

I use very basic programs that came with the Mac. No PP expert here, for sure! One of them, Preview, now includes two controls called Highlights and Shadows that weren't in the version of Preview in the older Mac that I recently replaced. Each of these has a slider. You move the slider in Highlights to darken all the lightest areas of the image (if they have data at all) to the degree that you want. In Shadows, you move it to lighten all the darkest areas. You can't select parts of an image to lighten or darken, but often this simple manipulation helps.

For commercial photography, I believe it's necessary to use more-sophisticated software than that.

With regard to question 2, a MUA I'm sure can answer this, or maybe one of the ladies here can help with this. I always thought powder would reduce the shines.

Oily skin is shiny; dry skin is dull. The areas with the most oil glands are forehead, nose, and chin. Oil secretion varies from one person to another. It's greatest in adolescence; it diminishes gradually in adulthood as the hormones change. Powder does reduce the shines. "Going to powder my nose" is an old-fashioned euphemism to excuse oneself for a visit to the restroom, from the days when face powder was more popular because shiny noses were shameful and so was talk about what restrooms are for.

A model with oily skin can wash her face with soap without moisturizers or a specialized facial cleanser (be careful, the latter may be harsh enough to cause redness, test it beforehand) shortly before the shoot. Then apply makeup if she's going to. But lighting has a large effect.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

paintedlotus
342 posts
Joined May 2008
Seattle, WA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by paintedlotus.
Aug 15, 2017 17:08 as a reply to icor1031's post |  #11

Yes. Photoshop and Lightroom. Not sure where you got the idea that you can't use LR for portraits - you definitely can. I start all my photos in LR and then export to PS (although I'm transitioning to Capture One from LR). There also may be other programs that have good shadow/highlight tools, but I don't know what they are - someone else will surely jump in with suggestions. Also, I would really, seriously avoid frequency separation unless you are profoundly good at it with tons of experience - it's just too easy to take it too far and get plastic doll skin results. Better to carefully clone/heal on an empty layer, and then use dodging & burning (I like the method with 2 curves layers but there are many that will work) to get everything evened out and retain the skin texture.

As far as what SHE can do, the answer is try to make the skin less shiny (add powder, etc.). I would recommend that when you are prepping your clients for the shoot and telling them things like "don't wear foundation with sunscreen in it" and "avoid body glitter" [Both of those - UGH!], try to also ask them to avoid tanning in any form - bottle or bed, for at least a week prior to the shoot. That can make their skin look wonky (orange and oversaturated and blotchy). I've had a lot of problems with it.

Also, and some people may argue with this, but in my relatively extensive experience with shooting digital, it's a bit easier to recover shadows than highlights with digital camera technology (you must be shooting RAW to get the full benefit of this). With film, it was overall much easier to recover highlights but digital seems to be the opposite generally speaking.

So, if the lighting issue is because of the size of the modifier / distance to the subject / dynamic range of the camera and those things cannot be changed, you can often get better results if you slightly underexpose the photo and bring up shadows a bit in post. That said, you don't want to get too much of an HDR look, so YMMV!

5D Mk IV, 6D, Gripped 5Dc, 24-70 f/2.8L ii, 135L, 17-40L, Magic Drainpipe (80-200 f/2.8L), 100mm macro, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, slightly melted Einstein, a few Elinchrom strobes, Mola Setti (white) with grid, PCB beauty dish (old style) with grid, Elinchrom beauty dish (tiny) with grid, Photek Softlighter ii 60", Rice Bowl 90cm, Rice Bowl OMG HUGE, soft silver PLM, a few umbrellas, 4-foot Octobank, Canon 430EX II, a couple ancient speedlights, bad attitude, etc
Website (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 16, 2017 12:43 |  #12

One somewhere in the middle (sorry, can't count, you better number them) with black eye and bruise like shadow under another one.
The rest is fine, just with too much shadow on the right eyes at some of them.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 26, 2017 18:58 |  #13

You gotta have the subject's face to towards the main otherwise they are broadly lit which isn't ideal

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

icor1031
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by icor1031. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 26, 2017 19:01 |  #14

DThriller wrote in post #18437805 (external link)
You gotta have the subject's face to towards the main otherwise they are broadly lit which isn't ideal

Directly? Then I'd have no depth, if I understand you right. If so, that's not my style - but thanks. :)

DThriller
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Rhode Island
Aug 26, 2017 19:34 |  #15

No not saying exclusively directly

Examples:

#1 and #3 her face is pointed at the main more of less directly and thats fine

#7 her face is turned towards the main but not directly pointed at it. This is short lighting and it slims the face. That is good lighting and facehead placement.

#4 and #5 her face is turned away from the main which makes it hit the broad side of the face which makes it appear larger. Her hair obstructs it which causes other problems I won't get into that.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,254 views & 2 likes for this thread
Critique #3
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.