Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 12 Aug 2017 (Saturday) 22:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Shooting Baily’s beads

thoff
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 12, 2017 22:09 |  #1

Just a curiosity question for those that have shot a eclipse.
When shooting Baily’s beads do you shoot with the filter on or off for this short time?
I have read both and just curious if anyone has shot this part of the eclipse.
Thank you,
Tom

1D Mark II Tamron 28-75 F2.8

sponsored links
DavidWatts
614 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Chicago Area
Aug 13, 2017 00:47 |  #2

+1. Would love to know the answer too. I'm going to be shooting* a 12-stop range of brackets (7) during that time just before, during and after totality. Hopefully that will get everything going on.

* If there is a clear sky. ;-)a

My Smugmug siteexternal link

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Davenn.
Aug 13, 2017 02:48 |  #3

thoff wrote in post #18426290 (external link)
Just a curiosity question for those that have shot a eclipse.
When shooting Baily’s beads do you shoot with the filter on or off for this short time?
I have read both and just curious if anyone has shot this part of the eclipse.
Thank you,
Tom

Hi Tom

filter OFF for all totality images, it gets VERY dark .... just be ready to get the filter back on quickly as totality ends

Have fun ... I was planning to get to the USA for the eclipse, but lack of time and money ended the plan

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Aug 13, 2017 02:52 |  #4

you can see the beading in that second image ... tho a tad of motion blur when shutter was operated. A big lens on an undersized tripod :oops::rolleyes:

also, don't forget the diamond ring effect immediately prior to the beads

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

thoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 13, 2017 15:37 as a reply to Davenn's post |  #5

Love those pictures!
So take the filter off right before totality to get the star burst of Baily’s beads and then slap the filter back when totality is over.
Thank you,
Tom

S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aug 13, 2017 17:28 as a reply to thoff's post |  #6

Yes, take the filter off about 1 minute before totality. And shoot in raw, because you have to guess a bit with the exposure. These two images are the same raw file processed two different ways. Both were shot using my 70-200mm telephoto.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8213234728_0bf032214f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dvLY​xj] (external link)Third contact (repro) (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8484/8186933935_089769bc2f_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dtsb​en] (external link)Third contact diamond ring #1 (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

And here's a little animation :-)

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8070/8200261405_ee4b2db65d_o.gif
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/duCu​2k] (external link)C3 animation_VIEW ORIGINAL SIZE! (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

flickr (external link) / flickriver (external link)

thoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 13, 2017 19:20 as a reply to S.R.M.'s post |  #7

Love these pictures and that is what I am trying for.
So about one minute before totality take the filter off and take as many test shots as possible to get ready for the star affect and totality.
Thank you,
Tom

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Davenn.
Aug 14, 2017 04:21 |  #8

thoff wrote in post #18426879 (external link)
Love these pictures and that is what I am trying for.
So about one minute before totality take the filter off and take as many test shots as possible to get ready for the star affect and totality.
Thank you,
Tom

and one more thing neither Stephen nor I mentioned earlier
vary the exposure time during totality ... slightly longer exposures will bring out the corona

I don't really have anything worthy of showing that I have done on a digital camera
Maybe Stephen managed some ?

Grrr I don't know how to tag him using the @ doesn't work on this forum

S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 14, 2017 05:12 as a reply to Davenn's post |  #9

Yes, good point Dave... Here's an couple of longer exposures showing the corona :-)

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8737/16831242928_eb2030b44a_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rDjw​8A] (external link)Totality 2012 repro 2 (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7619/16831482750_4c192720b3_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rDkK​qs] (external link)Totality 2012 repro 1 (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

thoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Post has been edited 2 months ago by thoff.
Aug 14, 2017 10:04 |  #10

Wow Stephen, love those shots and from what I can see on your pics you went from 1/1000 shutter speed on the first set to 1/25 on the second set. That is a big difference and would not have that it would be that much.
I am going to be bracket shooting trying to get as much as I can and shooting in raw. I am hoping to get one good pic out of all of this.
Thank you for the information and if you can thin of anything else please let us know!
Tom

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 14, 2017 12:34 |  #11

With all the eclipse shots you have taken who all has seen any stars ?? I've read where some say they could see stars and some photographs show stars in their image but don't know if I believe that to be a true image .

S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 14, 2017 16:36 |  #12

Celestron wrote in post #18427426 (external link)
With all the eclipse shots you have taken who all has seen any stars ?? I've read where some say they could see stars and some photographs show stars in their image but don't know if I believe that to be a true image .

Hi Ron,

Yes, the brighter stars and planets were clearly visible during totality in 2012. If I remember correctly we could see Spica, Saturn and of course Venus above the eclipse. I don't think I spent much time looking for fainter stars though, because all the attention was focused on the "hole on the sky"! Keep in mind that every eclipse is different with respect to how dark the sky gets. You may see more or less stars next week.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen
---------------

napolar
259 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Franklin, TN
Aug 15, 2017 20:12 |  #13

I have purchased "Solar Eclipse Timer" for my iPhone ($1.99). This app will determine your location and tell you when to remove you glasses and when to put them back on (using that for my filter as well), it will also tell you what to expect both on the ground and in the sky. I ran through a demo run yesterday and I really like it. I think they have an Android version as well.

Art
7D & 20D
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

thoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
136 posts
Joined Apr 2006
MO
Aug 16, 2017 07:45 |  #14

napolar wrote in post #18428802 (external link)
I have purchased "Solar Eclipse Timer" for my iPhone ($1.99). This app will determine your location and tell you when to remove you glasses and when to put them back on (using that for my filter as well), it will also tell you what to expect both on the ground and in the sky. I ran through a demo run yesterday and I really like it. I think they have an Android version as well.

That is something I will look into. Never thought about something like this.
Thank you,
Tom

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Celestron.
Aug 16, 2017 10:01 |  #15

Check out this short video of a Totality Eclipse . Gives a good idea what to expect right at totality and afterwards . Looks like your Diamond ring effect is best at a few seconds before total totality .

https://www.space.com ...nt-of-totality-video.html (external link)

sponsored links

1,136 views & 12 likes for this thread
Shooting Baily’s beads
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.