Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries
Thread started 13 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 12:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Watermarking Images

AshikChauhan
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Aug 13, 2017 12:45 |  #1

Hi, for everyone, for those who watermark their photos, do you use Lightroom to watermark the photo or do you have your own design made & do you use Photoshop to add it to an image?

I currently use Lightroom but I am looking to have a custom design for future use.

UK Based Portrait & Travel Photographer | Ashik Chauhan Photography
www.ashikphotography.c​o.uk (external link) | www.ashikchauhan.co.uk (external link) | Google+ (external link) |Instagram (external link).

sponsored links
MagicAlex
Joined Feb 2013
Aug 13, 2017 13:08 |  #2

I made a PNG file with my watermark. I drag it from the folder on photoshop, resize it and it's done. I wonder if there's a way to batch watermark images with my own logo.

Canon 1100D + EF-S 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS + EF 50mm f/1.8 II + EF 50-200mm f/3.5-4.5 + 2 Studio strobes + 2 Yongnuo 460 + Yongnuo RF603 triggers
http://magic-alex-photo.deviantart.com/
https://www.facebook.c​om/AlexCabreraPhotogra​phy.MagicAlexPhoto
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/98606847@N08/

AshikChauhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Aug 13, 2017 15:15 as a reply to MagicAlex's post |  #3

Hey, thanks for getting back to me. Was it easy to make the watermark? I am not very good with Photoshop!

www.ashikphotography.c​o.uk (external link) | www.ashikchauhan.co.uk (external link) | Google+ (external link) |Instagram (external link).

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Aug 13, 2017 18:00 |  #4

You just make whatever design you want. Only thing is it needs to be on a transparent background so you are not limited to a square design. That is why most people use a .png.

Make the design larger than you plan to use and resize it with the watermark function of Lightroom.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Nogo.
Aug 13, 2017 18:05 |  #5

MagicAlex wrote in post #18426660 (external link)
I made a PNG file with my watermark. I drag it from the folder on photoshop, resize it and it's done. I wonder if there's a way to batch watermark images with my own logo.

If you only use Photoshop make the watermark a stamp. Then all you need to do is stamp it on each image. In Lightroom you watermark the image when you export to Facebook, Flickr, or to your hard drive. On export it watermarks every image that gets exported by the function you choose to export with. Every image is watermarked (or not) in the way that you have set up for that function.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

AceCo55
260 posts
Joined Mar 2014
South Australia
Post has been edited 3 months ago by AceCo55.
Aug 21, 2017 03:55 |  #6

I add a watermark in batch processes by using an action I recorded in Photoshop.

First step was to create the watermark file as others have said, it is a png file)
I gave the white text a bevel effect so that the watermark is visible on both light and dark backgrounds)
Unlike most people, I put my watermarks dead centre in the image (I shoot local sports so they are of interest only to a limited number of people)

I then resized the watermark to various sizes to suit the common pixel sizes for the images that I watermark.
(one for 1200px images, another for 960px images - Facebook and another for 800px images)

Then I created the action suited to each of these image sizes
I used the Photoshop "place" command as it then uses the watermark file specified for that action
(so if I want to change the watermark all I have to do is rename the new watermark file to the one in the action)
Part of the action also reduces the opacity (I think around 80-85%)
IMHO the watermark can be seen without being too much of a distraction

I absolutely know my watermark images will be screenshot from my website but every one will have my watermark which advertises where the image came from. Could the watermark be removed - probably but virtually no-one who takes my images have any idea how to do it nor have the software to do it.

From the "Land Down Under" ... South Australia

AshikChauhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Aug 21, 2017 04:15 as a reply to AceCo55's post |  #7

Hi All,

Thank you all for your response!

This was an image from a recent trip to Myanmar, the watermark was done in Lightroom, what do you all think?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Naturalist
Adrift on a lonely vast sea
Joined May 2007
Tallgrass prairies of northwest Minnesota
Aug 21, 2017 05:36 |  #8

Good job Ashik. The watermark is there and not too intrusive. Nice.

Doug
My Gear List
http://www.douglasbrow​nsr.com (external link)
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/128037573@N07/ (external link)
Entered: 2-16-84 Passed: 5-22-84 Raised: 6-19-84

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Aug 21, 2017 05:43 |  #9

AshikChauhan wrote in post #18433021 (external link)
Hi All,

Thank you all for your response!

This was an image from a recent trip to Myanmar, the watermark was done in Lightroom, what do you all think?
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by AshikChauhan in
./showthread.php?p=184​33021&i=i113076729
forum: Presentation & Building Galleries

Now all you have to do is add some random elements to it to stop those nice people at Google removing it.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

PhotosGuy
74,824 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 3 months ago by PhotosGuy.
Aug 21, 2017 08:04 |  #10

AshikChauhan wrote in post #18433021 (external link)

I suggest that, before your name, you hold down the ALT key & type 0169 on the number keypad. This will give you ©. Then add the year.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

AshikChauhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Aug 21, 2017 08:08 as a reply to PhotosGuy's post |  #11

Sweet, thanks for the tip. I didn't know that keyboard shortcut! :-)

AshikChauhan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Aug 21, 2017 08:13 as a reply to Naturalist's post |  #12

Thank you very much! It is just short & simple!

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 21, 2017 19:27 |  #13

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18433092 (external link)
I suggest that, before your name, you hold down the ALT key & type 0169 on the number keypad. This will give you ©. Then add the year.

Note that is doesn't work on Mac OSX unfortunately, it's good on Windows, and I'm not sure about the various Linux distros. As well as Alt+0169 for © there is Alt+0215 for × symbol which I use a lot when posting online on the forum, and the one I really wish I could keep in my head, ALT+0178 the ² Square symbol. There are quite a lot of useful symbols in the extended ASCII set, fractions etc, about the only one that I would like that isn't there is the square root symbol. If you open the Windows Character map and select any of the symbols in the 8 bit extended ASCII map you will see the Alt+ code in the bottom right corner. If you don't see an Alt+ code then you are looking at a straight ASCII character or that is outside of the extended ASCII set, and is Unicode only.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Post has been edited 3 months ago by ThreeHounds.
Aug 21, 2017 19:29 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #14

Mac is ctrl + g

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Aug 22, 2017 12:42 as a reply to ThreeHounds's post |  #15

Correction... Mac is Option +g.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

758 views & 1 like for this thread
Watermarking Images
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.