Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 13 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 21:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Focus for the Eclipse

napolar
259 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Franklin, TN
Aug 13, 2017 21:17 |  #1

I have a 7D with a 70 - 200 F4L with a proper solar filter. I have been practicing taking pictures of the sun in preparation for the eclipse and it does not appear I am getting good focus. - Settings I am using for the full sun - ISO100, F8 with a tripod and solar filter. I have several more days and I am looking for advise. I can't wait to experience the eclipse, would love to get a few good shots of it as well.

Art
7D & 20D
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

sponsored links
S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Aug 14, 2017 00:27 |  #2

Try manual focusing using liveview. You should be able to get some good shots with that lens and those settings. I used the same lens on a 50D for the shots below:

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8209/8186933503_ae3540cb08_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dtsb​6V] (external link)7 minutes before totality (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8737/16831242928_146218d900_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rDjw​8A] (external link)Totality 2012 repro 2 (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8712/17024831976_1811b3ed8e_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rWqH​pN] (external link)Prominences and corona (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8188015368_a37ea5dbf0_o.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/dtxH​GL] (external link)Third contact diamond ring #2 (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

Hope the weather turns out well for you!

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

flickr (external link) / flickriver (external link)

Davenn
Joined Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Davenn. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 14, 2017 04:31 |  #3

S.R.M. wrote in post #18427062 (external link)
Try manual focusing using liveview. ...............

wise advice from Stephen and I agree completely
Dont even attempt to use auto-focus

BTW, Stephen I was just a little further north of you for that eclipse ... north side of Palm Cove

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 14, 2017 05:18 |  #4

Davenn wrote in post #18427138 (external link)
BTW, Stephen I was just a little further north of you for that eclipse ... north side of Palm Cove

Don't you wish that you were heading over to the US for this one Dave? I certainly do!!!
Oh well, will have to wait for 2028 I guess...

Stephen
---------------
6D; EF 16-35 f/4L IS USM; EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM; EF 35mm f/2; EF 50mm f/1.8 II; Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro; EF 70-200 f/4L USM; Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Aug 14, 2017 08:32 |  #5

S.R.M. wrote in post #18427062 (external link)
Try manual focusing using liveview. You should be able to get some good shots with that lens and those settings. I used the same lens on a 50D for the shots below:

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rWqH​pN] (external link)Prominences and corona (external link) by Stephen Mudge (external link), on Flickr

Hope the weather turns out well for you!

I LOVE this shot! Well done!!

I am not near enough for the full eclipse, I am at 88% but even this is better than I have ever been in before!

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Post has been last edited 4 months ago by Celestron. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 14, 2017 12:28 |  #6

I agree with manual focusing will probably be your best focus . However if you have the filter on and camera is on a tripod you can try using auto-focus and focus on the suns edge and see if the auto-focus points will focus and then switch back to manual focus before tripping the shutter with a remote . But for this to work you must adjust focus points to use center focus point only so you can see where the red focus point is located to move it to edge of sun . One other way is if your on location long before the eclipse starts you could try finding the moon without the filter and focus on the moon long before it gets close to the sun then switch over to manual focus and fine tune it and then don't touch it until the eclipse starts . Trial and error will be your only chance to focus if you wait until the eclipse starts and more likely you'll miss a lot of great shot chances before it's over with .

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Aug 14, 2017 14:15 |  #7

Celestron wrote in post #18427419 (external link)
I agree with manual focusing will probably be your best focus . However if you have the filter on and camera is on a tripod you can try using auto-focus and focus on the suns edge and see if the auto-focus points will focus and then switch back to manual focus before tripping the shutter with a remote . But for this to work you must adjust focus points to use center focus point only so you can see where the red focus point is located to move it to edge of sun . One other way is if your on location long before the eclipse starts you could try finding the moon without the filter and focus on the moon long before it gets close to the sun then switch over to manual focus and fine tune it and then don't touch it until the eclipse starts . Trial and error will be your only chance to focus if you wait until the eclipse starts and more likely you'll miss a lot of great shot chances before it's over with .

I am hoping to do a Time Lapse of the eclipse starting 10 to 15 minutes before the moon is near the sun (12:57PM my time). I would first have my focus on the sun (of course) and would not be able to change the focus.

I am planning on taking a shot every 10 seconds (would 15 or 20 seconds be better?). Once the moon is in view, would the moon then be out of focus?

My test shots I did last week were ISO 100, 1/350 at f/5.6

This is cropped and re-sized only

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Charles
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II *** iOptron 3302W Star Tracker

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,409 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 14, 2017 14:22 as a reply to Inspeqtor's post |  #8

If you focus on the sun before hand then keep that focus , don't change but put it in manual focus mode or when you start to expose the lens will try to refocus .

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Nogo.
Aug 14, 2017 15:42 |  #9

With just a camera lens would the sun and the moon need a different focus? I would have thought they both would be at infinity.

Other than that, does the solar filter effect the focus enough that you would need to readjust when you take it off? I want to do like you say, focus the lens long before shooting, put it in manual focus and forget about it, if I can?

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

S.R.M.
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 14, 2017 16:45 |  #10

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18427241 (external link)
I LOVE this shot! Well done!!

I am not near enough for the full eclipse, I am at 88% but even this is better than I have ever been in before!

Thanks Charles!

An 88% partial will be nice, but honestly, if it is at all possible get in your car and drive to the path of totality!!! Totality is a completely different experience to even a 99% partial eclipse, and you should do whatever you can to experience it!

Stephen
---------------

Capn ­ Jack
Joined Mar 2010
NE USA
Post has been edited 4 months ago by Capn Jack.
Aug 14, 2017 17:05 |  #11

Nogo wrote in post #18427574 (external link)
With just a camera lens would the sun and the moon need a different focus? I would have thought they both would be at infinity.

Other than that, does the solar filter effect the focus enough that you would need to readjust when you take it off? I want to do like you say, focus the lens long before shooting, put it in manual focus and forget about it, if I can?

Keep in mind the focus may shift as the lens warms up just sitting in the sun, and it may cool down during totality and start to re-warm. There is a possibility of expansion and contraction as parts warm and cool causing focus shift. Consider taping your zoom ring too, I think the lens will point mainly vertical and the zoom ring may slip.

USA members- don't let the airlines buy the air traffic control system: http://www.atcnotforsa​le.com/ (external link)

napolar
THREAD ­ STARTER
259 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Franklin, TN
Aug 14, 2017 17:08 |  #12

Thanks all, everyone is always so helpful on this site! As soon as the sun comes back out, it has been pouring here all day, I will do the live view setup. Will post my results. SRM - I am hoping to be able to get something similar to your results, those shots are amazing! Inspeqtor, that is what I am shooting to get this week! Really nice capture as well.

Art
7D & 20D
Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Canon 70 - 200 F4 L
P.O.T.N Op-Tech Strap

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,409 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 14, 2017 18:00 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #13

When you focus on the suns edge there will not be a need to refocus cause the moon will be so dark that the moon will not come into fine focus , it will be a soft focused moon . But dont worry , if the sun edges are sharp that's all you need to worry about . If you take off the filter to capture corona a good chance the su will slightly defocus but a quick glimpse in the viewer and a fine touch on the focus ring will put you in good shape . Two minutes will go fast , just practice at manual focus and you'll be good to go . If you get overexcited you'll miss part of it . Be calm and have a good time and don't miss looking with your eyes during totality too !!

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Aug 15, 2017 01:47 |  #14

Celestron wrote in post #18427504 (external link)
If you focus on the sun before hand then keep that focus , don't change but put it in manual focus mode or when you start to expose the lens will try to refocus .

Yes, I am fully aware of keeping it in manual focus. Sorry I did not make that clear.

Charles

Inspeqtor
I never knew that!
Joined Mar 2008
Elkhart, Indiana
Aug 15, 2017 02:07 |  #15

S.R.M. wrote in post #18427622 (external link)
Thanks Charles!

An 88% partial will be nice, but honestly, if it is at all possible get in your car and drive to the path of totality!!! Totality is a completely different experience to even a 99% partial eclipse, and you should do whatever you can to experience it!

I appreciate your concern. I truly do wish I could do that, I would LOVE to see and be in a total eclipse but my body does not like long car rides anymore. If I am in a car for an hour my bottom is killing me. To get to the total eclipse would be a 6 hour drive, one way then when it is all done I gotta turn around and get back home. I would be in agony, really.

Charles

sponsored links

2,993 views & 11 likes for this thread
Focus for the Eclipse
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.