Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 14 Aug 2017 (Monday) 22:38
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

The Chinese battery charger that saved our Trip to Africa!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 14, 2017 22:38 |  #1

It was almost an afterthought,. as I was packing, instead of two of the very small LP-E6 chargers I usually toss in a bag for their small size and weight, I opted to pack this latest 3rd party dual charger;

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
https://smile.amazon.c​om ...age_o06_s00?ie=UTF8​&psc=1 (external link)

I wanted the LCD read out as time with AC power was going to be scarce.
This ended up being a lifesaver for four of us on the trip.

We knew we'd be a long time between AC outlets, we knew that Botswana has it's own outlet, and packed the unique adapters, but we just did not quite understand what all that would entail.

On day one, one of our party had lost most of his LP-E6 inventory to the flight police,. he's sadly checked them, and they were removed. I had enough to share, but suddenly my math # of batteries vs. the duration we'd go without power was off.

Next, our guide who packed a Fuji kit was having trouble with the charge all of his batteries. He only had an AC powered charger. Again I was lending out batts, this time Fuji, of which I too only had 3, two 3rd party one OEM,. and these little Fuji's eat batteries like 6 times or more as fast as a Canon DSLR.

Enter my Dual charger,. with DC cord included, and charging TWO batteries simultaneously, NOT in series,. we were able to keep the fleet of LP-E6's going for Ollie, Liz and myself for the 7 days we had no AC power.

What about Fuji? Well it turns out that the pocket size charger I did toss in a bag for the Fuji kit was not the OEM, and good thing, it was a "Wasabi" branded Chinese el cheapo. And guess what, that Wasabi uses the SAME Swappable plates as the Newer dual bank charger!;

https://smile.amazon.c​om ...TF8&qid=1502764070&​sr=1-1 (external link)

So we had the option of Two LP-E6 at a time or one LP-E6 and one Fuji at the same time. Using DC power it took about 2 hours to fully charge two batteries.

*In addition, the unit comes with a USB jack. We used that to keep cell phones/kindle topped off. I also could have used it to power my "Nitecore" USB powered LP-E6 charger, ie; from one cigarette lighter outlet, 3 li-ion batteries charging at once :)

Anyway, I can safely and highly recommend this charger, it gives much more info than the OEM, a bit like an AA LaCrosse charger for your LP-E6 and once you have it, you can swap the plates for any number of batteries and use it for two different styles at once.

As or the plates, many brand names are using this same plate system. Wasabi, Neewer, DSTE, STK, Dot 01, Power2000, Premium Tech, Sun Room, LP, BM Premium, Fotga, Kastar, Fomito, etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
Joined Jul 2005
Sydney, Australia
Aug 15, 2017 05:05 |  #2

Well that worked out well. Good info on the common plate thing.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1D4, 1DS2, 7D2. Canon, Sigma lenses

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 15, 2017 07:14 |  #3

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18427934 (external link)
On day one, one of our party had lost most of his LP-E6 inventory to the flight police,. he's sadly checked them, and they were removed.

Were the batteries confiscated for some security reason or just plain stolen?

dropmyload
Joined May 2011
Nairobi, Kenya
Aug 15, 2017 08:27 |  #4

I have that Fuji charger....didnt know the plates were removable...

Canon 80D, Canon 100-400L, EF 50 II
Fuji X-T20, 18-55 2.8-4, Samyang 12/2
Vivitar 28/2.5 RE, Auto-Topcor 3.5cm/2.8, Helios 44-2, Meyer Optik Gorlitz Trioplan 100/2.8, Tele Lentar 135/2.8, Soligor 180/3.5
Yongnuo 468II, 565 EX & some 622C
My Flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 15, 2017 09:57 |  #5

John from PA wrote in post #18428141 (external link)
Were the batteries confiscated for some security reason or just plain stolen?

Confiscated, you are not allowed to check Lithium Ion batteries. They (oddly) have to be in carry on.
It's been this was for many years now in the US,. he was flying from Finland, so not sure if that was new for that part of the world. I assume it is new, as Ollie is a bit of an experienced world traveler.

Also I forgot to mention, the charger also has a USB outlet that can be used to power/charge anything that uses USB power. So we did not have to swap DC plugs to charge cell phones etc. This made the charger triple useful!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Strontium
Durr?
Joined Jun 2011
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Strontium.
Aug 15, 2017 10:00 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18428263 (external link)
Confiscated, you are not allowed to check Lithium Ion batteries. They (oddly) have to be in carry on.
It's been this was for many years now in the US,. he was flying from Finland, so not sure if that was new for that part of the world. I assume it is new, as Ollie is a bit of an experienced world traveler.

Really, it's not too odd. It's much easier to spot a fire in the cabin than in the cargo hold :)

I am I

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 15, 2017 14:55 |  #7

I was interested because there is a street market for batteries. I was approached once by a street person who had a Canon battery, for which he wanted $20. I happened to have a 60D on my shoulder but the individual was offended at my suggestion to test the battery. I laughed and moved on.

Actually lithium ion batteries are allowed in checked baggage, but not as a "spare". In other words they have to be installed in the device for which they are intended.

A current summary of the "regs" is at https://www.faa.gov ...sengers_and_batteri​es.pdf (external link).

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Aug 15, 2017 18:24 |  #8

Also I forgot to mention, the charger also has a USB outlet that can be used to power/charge anything that uses USB power. So we did not have to swap DC plugs to charge cell phones etc. This made the charger triple useful!

Not a new rule at all. This has been a standard requirement in Europe for a few years now. I guess he just forgot or got confused in the stress of packing. (I'm a very frequent traveller but I still detest the whole packing business.)

Your post was a very helpful steer towards this model of charger (which seems to sell under a variety of brand names) ... a really versatile and flexible piece of kit. I'll certainly be acquiring one and a few sets of plates. It's refreshing, incidentally, to see that the suppliers don't try to sell the alternative plates at a rip-off price (not in the UK, at least).

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Post has been edited 2 months ago by KeithS.
Aug 15, 2017 18:25 |  #9

CDS.....There are several reviewers on Amazon who claim that this charger will not fully charge a non OEM Canon battery. Have you noticed this issue?

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by DaviSto. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 15, 2017 18:46 |  #10

KeithS wrote in post #18428683 (external link)
CDS.....There are several reviewers on Amazon who claim that this charger will not fully charge a non OEM Canon battery. Have you noticed this issue? Also, there seem to be several of this model on Amazon with different brand names.

Are you sure that you are referencing reviews of this exact model? I have come across this criticism for a slightly different (less advanced) dual battery charger that is in most respects very similar to this model.

There is also an admitted issue for some batteries that have not been "fully decoded" (i.e. the manufacturer has not yet successfully reverse engineered the coding on the battery chip). This does not seem to include any of the most common/popular battery types.

You can only rely so much on Amazon reviews ... no matter they average the 4.5s. As long as the reviews are reasonably free of "this fried my kit" complaints, I generally just 'go with the flow' and accept the small risk that what I have bought -- usually very cheaply -- will turn out to be a dud.

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Aug 15, 2017 18:57 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #11

Yes, at the above provided link.

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 15, 2017 22:52 |  #12

DaviSto wrote in post #18428682 (external link)
... It's refreshing, incidentally, to see that the suppliers don't try to sell the alternative plates at a rip-off price (not in the UK, at least).

Did you find the plates sold alone? I have not :oops:
I was just lucky enough to have a fuji charger that came with my 3rd party batts using the same plates.
Let us know. :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
47,598 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 15, 2017 22:57 |  #13

CDS.....There are several reviewers on Amazon who claim that this charger will not fully charge a non OEM Canon battery. Have you noticed this issue?

Before I left for Africa, I wanted to know which of my LP-E6 were old and tired, both 3rd party and OEM. I did not want to be using old batts that would only take a 64% charge (yes I have one like that)

I charged every single one of my LP-E6 batteries, and then after charging, inserted them in my EOS body (5D4 or 7D2) and read the bodies battery info in the menu.

I then wrote on the battery in gold marker what the charge result was.

I used this charger.

Obviously the charger said 100%, and for the vast majority of the batteries I charged, both Canon and 3rd party (Wasabi and STK) the EOS body confirmed 100%. One was 98%

So no, I personally have not seen this issue.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

DaviSto
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Post has been edited 2 months ago by DaviSto.
Aug 16, 2017 03:15 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18428924 (external link)
Did you find the plates sold alone? I have not :oops:
I was just lucky enough to have a fuji charger that came with my 3rd party batts using the same plates.
Let us know. :)

In the UK, ExpressPro sell their own Ex-Pro branded version through Amazon. There seems to be a good range of plates available for sale either with a base unit or separately. ExpressPro seem to be one of the best of the Chinese goods resellers. They appear to be pretty careful about what they choose to put their name on and offer a good service.

https://www.amazon.co.​uk ...smid=A15TW43BF9Y9WW​&psc=1 (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,356 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2017 07:39 |  #15

If I counted correctly there are two reviews out of 41 that mentioned this. I'm more inclined that they used the charger on the default "L" or slow setting and just didn't allow sufficient time for the charge cycle to complete. I've decided to purchase one primarily for the feature to allow use in a car. The ability to do two batteries is also desirable.

Some searching by the way indicates this is also bundled with two LP-E6 equivalents for $51. See https://www.amazon.com ...&keywords=90088852+​neewer (external link). Actually only one is shown in stock so you can get the bundle from Neewer direct at http://www.neewer.com/​90088852.html (external link).

sponsored links

4,305 views & 6 likes for this thread
The Chinese battery charger that saved our Trip to Africa!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.