Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 15 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 13:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Just tried the OM E-Mk1 Mark II

TheLaird
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
Inverness, Highlands of Scotland
Aug 15, 2017 13:49 |  #1

I have had many Canon DSLR and still have 1D3, 5D3 and 7D2, plus various L lenses (plus others)
IQ is what I rate my stuff on. (Except for sports shooting)

I had Fuji XE-1 and now XT-20 with the lovely 18-55 kit lens (best kit lens I have ever used). I love the cleanness of the Fuji images.

Well I had the chance to try out the below over the weekend.
Olympus OM E-M1 Mark II
Olympus 12-100mm FF 4.0 M.Zuiko Pro
Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 M.Zuiko Pro
Olympus 300mm F4.0 M.Zuiko Pro

Bloody hell. I was astounded. Is it the in-camera stabilisation or the lenses? I do not know.
Shooting indoors at ISO 6400 was a dream.
Shooting outside with the 40-150 @ F2.8 it was sharp. F4.0 was amazing.

I really am seriously considering ditching all my Canon and Fuji gear for this (or some of it as it is rather expensive). I did not get a chance to shoot any sport so will keep 7D2 and 70-220 F2.8 IS MK2 plus Sigma 15-600.

What will I miss by leaving the full frame sensor world? I only print up to A3.

Comments appreciated.

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

sponsored links
Strick
Joined Aug 2007
Katy, TX
Aug 15, 2017 16:33 |  #2

TheLaird wrote in post #18428478 (external link)
I
I really am seriously considering ditching all my Canon and Fuji gear for this (or some of it as it is rather expensive). I did not get a chance to shoot any sport so will keep 7D2 and 70-220 F2.8 IS MK2 plus Sigma 15-600.

What will I miss by leaving the full frame sensor world? I only print up to A3.

Comments appreciated.

I have only played a little with FF but I will tell you that everytime I use my Oly gear I love it more. I also have a good deal of Canon kit but I rarely use it since getting into m4/3. I use it for portraits, landscape, food, just about everything without hesitation. I have used the e-m1 1 a bunch for bicycle racing and it does a pretty good job, I want to give the e-m1-2 a go at that.

You will loose a little shallow DOF control and it is a touch noisier at high ISO's but usable.

flickr (external link)
www.strickphotography.​com (external link)
www.zoominphoto.com (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 17, 2017 09:21 |  #3

DOF. Olympus sensor is so tiny comparing to FF, it mostly makes sense for BIF and solar eclipse, the rest will looks like my 20$ Canon P&S and iPhone. While FF portrait at f8 will still looks more airy, dimensional and natural than f0.95 on tiny sensor.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Aug 17, 2017 12:38 |  #4

A Facebook friend of mine uses the OM-D and posts regularly on my photo sharing page. Her images blow everything out ot the water, packed with detail. Worth getting. Not sure about using it for weddings though. I heard battery life is not that good.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Aug 19, 2017 14:12 |  #5

I just moved from Canon to an Olympus E-M1 and I'm absolutely in love with it. Size alone was enough for me to switch, but the whole camera is just phenomenal. The AF is far more accurate on my Olympus as compared to my 7D, and much faster in S-AF. I haven't tried out the C-AF very much, but from the little use I've had with it, it's great. And the AF system in the Olympus E-M1 II is supposedly much better than the original, so I can't imagine how great it is. The only thing I miss is the slightly shallower depth of field I had. I'm getting a speed booster for my Nikon lenses, so soon I'll have the (equivalent) of a 70mm f2 which is going to be awesome.

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

LoneRider
Joined Dec 2010
Marysville, WA.
Post has been edited 3 months ago by LoneRider.
Sep 11, 2017 00:59 |  #6

I had Olympus M43 gear for a couple of years, it can take great pics and has some neat features. Just can’t get decent shallow DOF even with 2.8 lenses due to the smaller sensor. 2.8 gives an apparent 5.6, 4 gives an apparent 8. If you shoot everything stopped down or want to handle DOF via post it may not be an issue for you.

Also had issues with BIF and aircraft due to focus speed (or lack thereof).

Pitched my OMD EM-1 and “Pro” lenses and went back to DSLR with a 6D followed by 7D II and haven’t looked back.

Still wanted a small lightweight kit, now have the EOS M5 for that role and it does just as well or better to me.

~I don't suffer from gear ADD, I embrace and enjoy it...~
GEAR LIST

damianmkv
Joined Feb 2017
Surrey, England
Sep 20, 2017 06:12 |  #7

i've just tried the mk2 and its a good step up from the mk1 - its familiar to hold, with considerably better C-AF and high ISO and lots of other tech that most of us won't use. I already have the 12-40 and 40-150 pro lenses but didn't see any noticeable IQ difference

I'm umming and erring about changing my system to a d500 which i also tried 2 weeks ago and it was OK. More keepers than the mk2 but not by much and the Olympus had a better battery life. The Nikon is considerably bigger and didn't feel as balanced in my hands..

D500 / 16-80 / 35 f1.8 / E-M1 / P12-32 / RX100

sponsored links

1,089 views & 4 likes for this thread
Just tried the OM E-Mk1 Mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.