Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 16 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 08:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Seeking advice on an upcoming photoshoot

shaunmcfd
Joined Nov 2012
Aug 16, 2017 08:53 |  #1

Our local TV station does this thing called Hometown Hero. It is where someone is nominated for their services to the community. This year is an 87 year old man who has volunteered for years. Long story short, I was running a contest at the same time for people to nominate a couple who had been married longer than 60 years to be entered to win a free photoshoot for their anniversary. I read about this couple and after doing some research was able to get in contact with them and will be doing their photos this Sunday in celebration of their 68th anniversary. I am looking for ideas on posing. I have shot lots of singles and families but this will be the oldest couple yet. For any of you that have shot this age group, did you find some poses easier than others for them? I have looked online and gotten ideas but wanted to hear it from some of you guys also.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 16, 2017 09:07 |  #2

At this age, the best shots I have seen are just the two of them sitting together. The beauty of that age is their wisdom and love for one another through all the years and trials (hopefully they are that way :) some couples aren't). That would be the look I would go for personally. You might want to take shots of each of them individually too, because those shots can be used for genealogy and other family uses. They will most likely have a few favorite places they like to sit, like a swing, etc. and those shots are nice too.

One other minor idea, something I have not done, but as I reach an age where I could lose my father, a few shots of each of them doing what they like to do or are known to do, so a few cooking shots, or knitting/crocheting, or wood working, etc. It is nice to have them doing something they love to do, and for the family to remember them in that way in the future. These serve as great memorial shots.

I wish I had more pictures of my father at this point, so I am approaching your request more as a family member wanting memorial style shots of my family than as a photographer trying to create a photo gallery result. Others may have a different slant.

This is an opportunity too to see if the family as a whole would like to contract you to do a family session later. If you do very well with the couple, this could easily turn into a paid session later. :D

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Aug 16, 2017 09:35 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #3

Exactly what I needed. When I talked to the gentleman I asked him if they had a favorite place they, as a couple, liked more than another. He told me they loved to walk around downtown together. We set this shoot up in my downtown area that is still home to many turn of the century buildings so hopefully we can recreate some of the old days for them. Once we get started and a little more comfortable I will find out if they would like more "life" shots. This shoot is of no charge but sometimes it's not all about the money. He was sooo happy that I reached out to offer the shoot and said his wife was over the moon about it. I want to somehow turn this into a small documentary about them and try to capture a glimpse into what it means to be married 68 years, something it seems we don't see much of anymore. Thanks for the tips.

6D | 24-105 f4L | Sigma 50 2.8 Macro | 17-40 f4L| 135 f2L | 70-200 f2.8L ii | Sigma 35 1.4 Art | Tamron 24-70

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,226 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 16, 2017 09:40 |  #4

That is a very nice project and great for you offering up your time and equipment to do this. It is rare to see this as much these days. Post some samples after you are done!

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Aug 16, 2017 09:53 as a reply to TeamSpeed's post |  #5

Will do.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Colin Glover.
Aug 23, 2017 07:00 |  #6

If they have their wedding album why not scan a few from it and as well as yours in a DVD slideshow with others to show them growing old together through the years?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

shaunmcfd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2012
Post has been edited 2 months ago by shaunmcfd.
Aug 23, 2017 08:17 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #7

That may be an option. Unfortunately, the wife became very sick the day before the shoot so things have been put on hold.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Aug 23, 2017 10:52 |  #8

That's a shame.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

sponsored links

1,119 views & 2 likes for this thread
Seeking advice on an upcoming photoshoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.