Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 16 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 12:02
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Quick Release Plate safety stop questions Kirk PZ-148

stanwelks
155 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Aug 16, 2017 12:02 |  #1

I just bought a used Kirk PZ-148 Quick Release plate for my 5DM3
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...a_Type_Compact_Quic​k.html (external link)

I want to be able to attach the camera easily to a tripod and when not on the tripod I plan to attach a BlackRapid strap to the plate. The only instructions with it show that it can be used without safety stops, with one safety stop or with two.

1. What are the safety stops for?
2. It comes with tiny screws that go into the plate, though I'm just not sure what the purpose of them are, they are not long enough to go into the camera.
3. Is there a downside to putting both screws into the plate?

Thanks for any info.

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Post has been edited 3 months ago by docholliday_sc001.
Aug 16, 2017 21:49 |  #2

It all depends on what clamp you are using on the tripod. Some quick release (not screw) clamps, like the RRS and ArcaSwiss have two positions, half-open and fully open.

The full open position allows the plate to be lowered into the clamp from the top. At half open, you can't lift the plate out, but can slide it in. If you use one screw, you can slide it in from the non-stopped side and the bracket will only go as far as the stop screw. If you use both, you can only attach the camera at full open, but laterally slide a bit until one of the stop screws is hit by the clamp.

If you have a QR clamp, there should be two indentations ("pockets") at the end of the plate that allow the screw heads to slide into, usually very shallow millings into the clamp. Some of the knock-off and cheap clamps don't have these indentations, though.

If you have a screw clamp, you usually unscrew far enough out to drop the plate in. But, if you don't, you can slide.

Putting both screws in also has the safety of not letting it slide out of the clamp should you forget to tighten it all the way.

kaitlyn2004
Goldmember
1,562 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Aug 17, 2017 20:30 as a reply to docholliday_sc001's post |  #3

I love the idea of the safety stops, plus they can be removed... I personally don't understand why not every single plate has them? Interestingly, I have the Kirk L-bracket and neither orientation has the safety stops. When I emailed them about it I got a bit of a confusing email back

Kaitlyn, we used to offer these on an l-bracket but had too many customer complaints so have done away with them on all L-brackets.

They are (almost always?) removeable... so I can't think of the downside of having them

New Zealand Travel Photography (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

docholliday_sc001
My hypocrisy goes only so far.
219 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 17, 2017 21:45 |  #4

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18430449 (external link)
I love the idea of the safety stops, plus they can be removed... I personally don't understand why not every single plate has them? Interestingly, I have the Kirk L-bracket and neither orientation has the safety stops. When I emailed them about it I got a bit of a confusing email back

They are (almost always?) removeable... so I can't think of the downside of having them

Most of the nicer ("brand name") plates have them. All of my RRS and Arca ones do. The cheaper, knockoff plates usually don't include them as standard. I think a lot of people bought the nicer plates since they didn't cost much more. They then skimped on the clamp side and the cheap clamps didn't have the notches for the stops.

I put one of my L-plate cameras on a friend's knock off clamp once - and realized that my stop screws kept the plate from dropping all the way down into the clamp. If I hadn't been paying attention (remember "Quick releases can be very quick"), the camera would've just fell out of the clamp because it didn't grip anything but the lip of the plate. That's probably the complaint that Kirk was getting from their users.

I've never seen a plate where the stops couldn't be quickly unscrewed.

572 views & 3 likes for this thread
Quick Release Plate safety stop questions Kirk PZ-148
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.