Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 16 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 12:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Attaching a loose sheet of solar filter

Silver-Halide
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 16, 2017 12:39 |  #1

So if the clouds leave us alone I have devised my method for viewing and photographing the eclipse.

I bought a 4x4" Thousand Oaks (ISO Certified) sheet of solar film on Amzn. Though I considered taping it to my Sigma 150-600mm C and shooting my 5dIII, I decided that magnification is king and that I'd be better off using my Nikon spotting scope and digiscoping the shot with my iPhone 7, shooting in DNG via Lightroom mobile. I have some Lunt Solar Systems (also ISO certified) viewing glasses arriving in the mail today.

I've already tapped the sunshade into place so that it wont jostle/wiggle around and inadvertently bump the filter off, but how would you mehcanically inclined folks secure the filter to to the end of the scope? I'm thinking of just cutting off the corners to complete the filter into a circle and just taping it around the edges of the sunshade. Wondering if there might be a more secure way that wouldn't leave the filter covered in tape residue and cut up. Suggestions?

Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 16, 2017 12:41 |  #2

Also want to confirm that the silvery, reflective side points towards the sun, not the matte, brown side. No instructions included :rolleyes:

HOSTED PHOTO
Thanks!

HOSTED PHOTO

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 16, 2017 15:55 |  #3

First thing I see is your laying it atop some kind of rough looking material and that's bad being face down . If you scratch it or cut it then it's useless . Silvery side out always . Make sure it covers the end of your lens completely so no sunlight whatsoever seeks through . What might be better than taping it is make a card board cap cover for the lens and tape the solar filter inside silverside outward . Then place it over your lens for a snug fit . Another member has made one that I talked about in one of the other threads here . See if you can find it and see what I'm talking about .

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 16, 2017 20:07 |  #4

Thanks. Well I found this. I can see the benefit for a camera lens that has a filter holder, but not sure how it would benefit me for a spotting scope. But thanks for the warning about taping around the edges so no light gets through. I think I'll use black duct tape around the edges.

http://photography-on-the.net ...read.php?t=1465977&​page=6

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Aug 16, 2017 20:13 |  #5

Celestron wrote in post #18429493 (external link)
If you scratch it or cut it then it's useless ..

Point taken about it getting scrached, but not sure what you mean about cutting it. My point in trimming is to round it off into a circle so it can be taped all the way around the objective lens, not to cut across the diameter at all. Will it fall apart some how if I try to trim it?

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 16, 2017 21:48 as a reply to Silver-Halide's post |  #6

If you trim it make it 1/4" - 1-2" bigger to make sure you have plenty overlap . Reason I mentioned your trimming is in your image looks like you had a small section not covering the total lens .

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Aug 16, 2017 22:00 |  #7

If you damage the film such that it develops so much as a pinhole, the filter is compromised and no longer safe to use.

Keep in mind you'll want the filter OFF for totality. Fashioning a cardboard holder that can quickly be dismounted is the way to go.

I built this filter cell with Seymour film in 2012. It's sized to slip snugly over the end of the Tamron 300/2.8 60B lens hood.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Drop-Box/n-rKtGT/i-bhFTFR5/0/c4303ef9/L/i-bhFTFR5-L.jpg

And I built this one with Baader film last week. This one mounts directly on the lens in lieu of a hood. It has notches (for the hood bayonet lugs to clear) and velcro fasteners.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Drop-Box/n-rKtGT/i-pDdsPJW/0/25a85d26/L/i-pDdsPJW-L.jpg

In either case, the filter can be installed or removed in a few seconds.

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

Silver-Halide
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2015
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Silver-Halide.
Aug 16, 2017 22:17 |  #8

Here in arizona we're only supposed to get up to 70% occlusion, if that's the correct terminology. I'm guessing I'll still need the filter on ergo I wasn't planning on pulling it off (?)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Aug 16, 2017 23:04 |  #9

If you're not going to be in the path of totality, then the filter stays on, yes.

You're still better off building a cell: It's less likely you'll damage the film, which should not be stretched or stressed, and it will be easier to store the filter safely until the eclipse.

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

sponsored links

593 views & 2 likes for this thread
Attaching a loose sheet of solar filter
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.