Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 17 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 14:13
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

5d mark ii or eos 6d?

James ­ Crockett
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Aug 17, 2017 14:13 |  #1

Which would you rather have? Thanks.

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Aug 17, 2017 14:30 |  #2

Oooo, hard call, 6D, higher IQ and better low light performance, AF not much in it....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 17, 2017 15:13 |  #3

Personally, I was disappointed by MII acting AF, more plastic build and nothing special rendering after letting old 5Dc go. Some time it would just refuse to focus and google search returned it as known MKII issue. I never had this serios problem with 5Dc or any other Canon (D)SLR.
In 2016 I get rid off MKII and 50L (another disappointment by Canon Canada Service), updated my trusty 500D with quick to focus and punchy colors 24 pancake and was lucky to get Leica M-E for very sharp images under good light.

If I have to switch back to FF DSLR is will be 6D. Weather sealed, less bulky and significantly better high ISO performance. While MKII was not significantly better on high ISO comparing to 5DC for me.
Man, I never seen ISO1600 as clean and organic as from 5DC....

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 17, 2017 15:46 |  #4

I do not own a 6D but just yesterday I took my kids out to Cates Park in North Vancouver, British Columbia with my 5dmk2 and 85Lmk2.

Even using the lowest ISO settings I was well over 1/4000 shutter speed shooting wideopen in open shade. I choose to shoot f/1.2 for a specific effect I wanted. Stopping down or slapping on ND filters is not an option I want to take.

If I was using a 6D indoors or where 1/4000 isn't an issues the 6D is simply a better performer in low light.

"If" I'm outdoors and owned a 6D I'd rather be shooting with my Fuji X-t2 with 56mm f/1.2 for an almost similar effect I get with my 5dmk2/3 with 85L for portraits outdoors. I just cannot tolerate 1/4000 cripped shutter speeds. My preference is a 1/8000 headroom camera body. It all depends on your needs/wants.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Post has been edited 3 months ago by gjl711.
Aug 17, 2017 15:49 |  #5

As a 5DII owner, if I lost it and had to replace, choosing between the 5DII and 6D it would be the 6D without question. That said, as a 5DII owner given the option to upgrade, I passed as the two cameras are so close. The 6D is better in nearly all areas but not enough to make me upgrade.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,797 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 17, 2017 15:51 |  #6

6D is a better camera in most measurable regards.

That said, when I wanted an FF IR camera I got a used 5D2 for less $, and it's controls felt more familiar to me.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Aug 17, 2017 16:28 |  #7

Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm currently using the 5d mark ii and I see really nice photos with the 6d. Looking at the two on dxomark they are very similar. If I'm using my camera for portrait photography and considered upgrading what do you recommend? Hope all is well.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,747 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 17, 2017 16:36 |  #8

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18430152 (external link)
Oooo, hard call, 6D, higher IQ and better low light performance, AF not much in it....

I may be hyper-sensitive about the AF on my 6D, but this sounds like the 5D2 can keep up with the 6D wrt AF. It most certainly cannot.

Center point: 5D2 to 0EV, 6D to -3EV. Huge advantage to the 6D.
AI-SERVO (both suck, really, compared to better AF): 5D2 no adjustments, 6D tracking sensitivity, accel/decel tracking, 1st & 2nd image priority. Huge advantage to the 6D.

When I owned a 6D and 7D at the same time. I compared AF performance in AI-Servo between the two. Since the 6D is limited to center point, I used the 7D in center point. The 6D tracks noticeably better than the 7D, and switches targets faster than the 7D.

Comparatively (1DIV, 80D) the 6D is a pig in AI-Servo. But don't insult it by equating it with a 5D2.

Someone mentioned the 1/4000 limitation of the 6D. I've had mine almost 5 years and I have never run into that limitation... with the 6D. I just picked up an Elan 7NE (again), and was out last week with my 85 1.8. Damn if that thing isn't limited to 1/4000, too! My first reaction was to (try to) lower the ISO! :-P:oops::cry: I was using ASA 200 film.

Tom

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 17, 2017 16:44 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18430278 (external link)
I may be hyper-sensitive about the AF on my 6D, but this sounds like the 5D2 can keep up with the 6D wrt AF. It most certainly cannot.

AI-SERVO (both suck, really, compared to better AF): 5D2 no adjustments, 6D tracking sensitivity, accel/decel tracking, 1st & 2nd image priority. Huge advantage to the 6D.

When I owned a 6D and 7D at the same time. I compared AF performance in AI-Servo between the two. Since the 6D is limited to center point, I used the 7D in center point. The 6D tracks noticeably better than the 7D, and switches targets faster than the 7D.

Those advantages do nothing for portrait photography as well as the 6D's high ISO performance improvement. I'm in a similar boat as the OP. AF improvement, don't need them as I manually focus 90% of the time and very rarely shoot over ISO1600 with most in the 100~400 range. Hence, the 6D and 5DII perform identically for me.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,747 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 17, 2017 17:40 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #18430283 (external link)
Those advantages do nothing for portrait photography as well as the 6D's high ISO performance improvement. I'm in a similar boat as the OP. AF improvement, don't need them as I manually focus 90% of the time and very rarely shoot over ISO1600 with most in the 100~400 range. Hence, the 6D and 5DII perform identically for me.

Understandable. Each shooter has specific needs and tolerances. I bought the 6D as an upgrade to my 5Dc. For what it is, I am completely happy with it. But..., it is still a pig when it comes to AI-Servo. I've been spoiled by the 1D3/4 and 80D.

Given the choice of 5D2 or 6D, I'd get another 6D. Given the choices that currently exist, I'd likely go with a 1DX, but that is me.

Tom

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 17, 2017 20:59 |  #11

OP,

In 2017 I'd probably say buy a 6D or higher model if your budget allows.

As I mentioned earlier I was doing Personal family portraits and decided to lug my 5dmk2 with 85Lmk2. No way would I could shoot wideopen without ND filters with a Canon 6d with an 85L f/1.2 wideopen.

If you really think about it the 5dmk2 or 6D was never intended for tracking using AF-C. Both camera's using center focus point both can capture spontaneous "moments" during events. Otherwise the 5dmk2 era a person would probably be using a 1dmk4 for faster tracking and good IQ from an APS-H sensor.

There is no real definition of what type of light environment is present when doing portraits. So naturally if your shooting low light portraits which isn't a typical common situation for your average portrait session the 6D would definitely have an advantage.

If your shooting with studio lights or good available light environments both 6d and 5dmk2 would work. I will say for some situations it's nice to have accurate outer focus points from a 5dmk3,4 or 1D series for posed photo sessions.

I will say I'd take my 5dmk2 for portraits before grabbing my Canon 80D. If I had to choose crop sensor formats I'd grab my Fuji X-T2 with 56 f/1.2 over my 80D with 85Lmk2!!!! Heck the Fuji would even automatically go into electronic E shutter if I go over my mechanical 1/8000 max shutter speed.

As you can see we all have preferences and shoot in different scenarios.

If I compare my 5dmk3 and 5dmk2 for outdoor portrait sessions I cannot tell the difference at all. However both have a 1/8000 max shutter speed headroom so fast glass is seldom an issue. Just yesterday if I was shooting with a 6d I would have hit 1/4000 easily.

The 6D low light performance with decent dynamic range is a very nice feature. Don't hesitate either body for your portrait sessions.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Aug 17, 2017 21:15 |  #12

AlanU wrote in post #18430473 (external link)
OP,

In 2017 I'd probably say buy a 6D or higher model if your budget allows.

As I mentioned earlier I was doing Personal family portraits and decided to lug my 5dmk2 with 85Lmk2. No way would I could shoot wideopen without ND filters with a Canon 6d with an 85L f/1.2 wideopen.

If you really think about it the 5dmk2 or 6D was never intended for tracking using AF-C. Both camera's using center focus point both can capture spontaneous "moments" during events. Otherwise the 5dmk2 era a person would probably be using a 1dmk4 for faster tracking and good IQ from an APS-H sensor.

There is no real definition of what type of light environment is present when doing portraits. So naturally if your shooting low light portraits which isn't a typical common situation for your average portrait session the 6D would definitely have an advantage.

If your shooting with studio lights or good available light environments both 6d and 5dmk2 would work. I will say for some situations it's nice to have accurate outer focus points from a 5dmk3,4 or 1D series for posed photo sessions.

I will say I'd take my 5dmk2 for portraits before grabbing my Canon 80D. If I had to choose crop sensor formats I'd grab my Fuji X-T2 with 56 f/1.2 over my 80D with 85Lmk2!!!! Heck the Fuji would even automatically go into electronic E shutter if I go over my mechanical 1/8000 max shutter speed.

As you can see we all have preferences and shoot in different scenarios.

If I compare my 5dmk3 and 5dmk2 for outdoor portrait sessions I cannot tell the difference at all. However both have a 1/8000 max shutter speed headroom so fast glass is seldom an issue. Just yesterday if I was shooting with a 6d I would have hit 1/4000 easily.

The 6D low light performance with decent dynamic range is a very nice feature. Don't hesitate either body for your portrait sessions.

Thank you! I really appreciate your input.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 17, 2017 21:43 |  #13

James Crockett wrote in post #18430477 (external link)
Thank you! I really appreciate your input.

If you can get a fantastic price on a 5dmk2 I'd say go for it.

I will say if you do alot of indoor prime lens photography (paid/family documentation) you will appreciate the 6D for it's much better low light high iso performance.

So if you do not shoot with fast glass often 1/4000 will not be an issue. In some situations you may find even f/2.8 aperture may hit the 1/4000 max shutter speed limitation so you will need to stop down or use ND filters. I'm just assuming you'd be using the lowest Iso setting in bright light situations.

If you can manage the budget for a 5dmk3 it will give you wonderful AF capabilities as well as very good high iso performance. As you know new tech from the 5dmk4 is ridiculously awesome but $$$$.

James ­ Crockett
THREAD ­ STARTER
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Aug 17, 2017 22:00 |  #14

AlanU wrote in post #18430497 (external link)
If you can get a fantastic price on a 5dmk2 I'd say go for it.

I will say if you do alot of indoor prime lens photography (paid/family documentation) you will appreciate the 6D for it's much better low light high iso performance.

So if you do not shoot with fast glass often 1/4000 will not be an issue. In some situations you may find even f/2.8 aperture may hit the 1/4000 max shutter speed limitation so you will need to stop down or use ND filters. I'm just assuming you'd be using the lowest Iso setting in bright light situations.

If you can manage the budget for a 5dmk3 it will give you wonderful AF capabilities as well as very good high iso performance. As you know new tech from the 5dmk4 is ridiculously awesome but $$$$.

I'm currently using a 5dmkii. It had roughly around 4k shutter count I believe when I bought it off ebay. It's in nice shape. I'm new to this forum and learn with this stuff everyday. I see these awesome pictures and was curious if I needed to upgrade since this camera was released in 08' I think it was. I don't do any studio work or use any special lighting outside. Thanks Alan!

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,253 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been edited 3 months ago by welshwizard1971.
Aug 18, 2017 04:48 |  #15

Bassat wrote in post #18430278 (external link)

Comparatively (1DIV, 80D) the 6D is a pig in AI-Servo. But don't insult it by equating it with a 5D2.

Someone mentioned the 1/4000 limitation of the 6D. I've had mine almost 5 years and I have never run into that limitation... with the 6D. I just picked up an Elan 7NE (again), and was out last week with my 85 1.8. Damn if that thing isn't limited to 1/4000, too! My first reaction was to (try to) lower the ISO! :-P:oops::cry: I was using ASA 200 film.

And when you're not using the center point?? For example, birds in flight, the 5D mkII locked on quicker than the 6D, in fact my 6D was next to useless for this unless I could get the center point on the bird immediately, very hard to do! Hence my comment, not a lot in it, AF wise pro's and con's to both, depends on the circumstances etc. Another way of looking at this is now I own a5D mkIII which of those two cameras do I miss not owning anymore, easy, the 6D, I quite often wish I had some of it's features on my current camera, notably low light performance and physically being lighter, I don't miss anything about the 5D mk II.

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

sponsored links

1,970 views & 4 likes for this thread
5d mark ii or eos 6d?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.