Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial
Thread started 17 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 22:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

80D for Astro?

ericz34
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 17, 2017 22:19 |  #1

So this question comes up because I'm not sure where to go with getting a new camera. I really want to get more into Astrophotography, but I mainly do landscapes AND would like to venture into video. I currently have a t6i, I know the 6D is great at everything i need except video and the 80D is more of a general purpose camera geared more for video. I'm not sure the 80D would be much better at high ISO than my t6i. Would it be smarter to keep the t6i, and buy a 6D with a rokinon 14 f2.8 and use my t6i for video? Or sell the t6i for an 80D with the rokinon 16 f2... and Have the jack of all trades master of none?..

sponsored links
djr01974
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2014
Yorba Linda
Aug 17, 2017 22:33 |  #2

I own an 80d and it's very capable of high ISO shots

ericz34
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 17, 2017 22:41 as a reply to djr01974's post |  #3

Thank you! I really wanted a FF camera but at this point I don't think I can justify it

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by sandwedge.
Aug 18, 2017 05:06 |  #4

Not sure how deep you're wanting to get into astro, but I've been happy with my 80d for Milky Way shots...

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Yellowstone-2016/i-Mp5MLkw/0/ff72b6b0/XL/ys%209-013-XL.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...s%209-013-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 18, 2017 05:16 |  #5

ericz34 wrote in post #18430525 (external link)
So this question comes up because I'm not sure where to go with getting a new camera. I really want to get more into Astrophotography, but I mainly do landscapes AND would like to venture into video. I currently have a t6i, I know the 6D is great at everything i need except video and the 80D is more of a general purpose camera geared more for video. I'm not sure the 80D would be much better at high ISO than my t6i. Would it be smarter to keep the t6i, and buy a 6D with a rokinon 14 f2.8 and use my t6i for video? Or sell the t6i for an 80D with the rokinon 16 f2... and Have the jack of all trades master of none?..

Heya,

Really depends on how dedicated you want to be to any one thing.

Your T6i is already good for everything you want to do. You will not see some magical improvement really moving to the 6D nor the 80D. You will see them doing better, slightly, in some regards, but overall it's not a major change. You would be far, far, better served by changing how you're approaching astro, landscape, and video, rather than just thinking the camera is the fulcrum of these things. You have a capable sensor already. So the 6D will have a cleaner ISO 12,800 with long exposure than all of these, by a little bit. The 80D will be slightly better at top ISO than the T6i, but again, only by a little bit. Not even a full stop. So really if you're interested in astro, I would argue that spending $800+ on a camera just to gain less than 1 stop of ISO performance is not worth it at all, and instead, if you want to get into astro you should explore an inexpensive $350 tracker that allows you to expose for longer periods of time (2~4 minutes!) with any lens you wish (you are not bound to having to have really fast focal-ratios, so also saves you money there too). So then there's the idea of landscape, well, again, your sensor is already doing quite well. You might gain maybe close to 1 stop (probably less than 1 stop though) of DR and shadow recovery with a newer sensor, but that's not going to make a big difference; technique and processing will do more for your landscape than a slightly newer sensor. So then there's video, now that is hard set and requires the body. So there you have to consider, what is important about video for you? The T6i does basic video, so if you're just dabbling with video it's fine. But if you're looking for something with video that does AF then you'll want something with DPAF, but if you're not having to have active AF (which is not even that fast honestly) then you may not need that. Depends how deep into video you're looking to go.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 18, 2017 05:55 |  #6

sandwedge wrote in post #18430685 (external link)
Not sure how deep you're wanting to get into astro, but I've been happy with my 80d for Milky Way shots...

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...s%209-013-XL.jpg&lb=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

Nice photo. I'm happy to see someone else using the Tokina 11-20 2.8. It doesn't get much love.

Tom

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,396 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Texas USA
Aug 18, 2017 08:55 |  #7

ericz34 wrote in post #18430525 (external link)

All good info already given . Just to add some info . Most any camera that has bulb settings can be used as an astro camera but if you get to the point of wanting to modify a camera buy an older one and do so cause once done it can't be reversed .

Now on the other hand with lens Rokinos' have got great reviews if your out to spend more money but if you have the upper class Canon lens many can be used without problems but the lower economy type usually produce Chromatic Aberration in bright objects in images . Also coma problems are to be dealt with .

About the only thing video can be used for fairly well is on planets by taking a short video then stacking single frames to make one image and that works well if all frames are good . Good luck and clear skies !

ericz34
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 18, 2017 09:29 |  #8

sandwedge wrote in post #18430685 (external link)

QUOTED IMAGE

MalVeauX wrote in post #18430687 (external link)
Heya,

Really depends on how dedicated you want to be to any one thing.

Your T6i is already good for everything you want to do. You will not see some magical improvement really moving to the 6D nor the 80D. You will see them doing better, slightly, in some regards, but overall it's not a major change. You would be far, far, better served by changing how you're approaching astro, landscape, and video, rather than just thinking the camera is the fulcrum of these things. You have a capable sensor already. So the 6D will have a cleaner ISO 12,800 with long exposure than all of these, by a little bit. The 80D will be slightly better at top ISO than the T6i, but again, only by a little bit. Not even a full stop. So really if you're interested in astro, I would argue that spending $800+ on a camera just to gain less than 1 stop of ISO performance is not worth it at all, and instead, if you want to get into astro you should explore an inexpensive $350 tracker that allows you to expose for longer periods of time (2~4 minutes!) with any lens you wish (you are not bound to having to have really fast focal-ratios, so also saves you money there too). So then there's the idea of landscape, well, again, your sensor is already doing quite well. You might gain maybe close to 1 stop (probably less than 1 stop though) of DR and shadow recovery with a newer sensor, but that's not going to make a big difference; technique and processing will do more for your landscape than a slightly newer sensor. So then there's video, now that is hard set and requires the body. So there you have to consider, what is important about video for you? The T6i does basic video, so if you're just dabbling with video it's fine. But if you're looking for something with video that does AF then you'll want something with DPAF, but if you're not having to have active AF (which is not even that fast honestly) then you may not need that. Depends how deep into video you're looking to go.

Very best,

Thanks for the great info! I guess I fall into the full frame hype, but I know technique, and your gear will typically be more helpful than the camera alone. I didn't even think of a tracker! Any decent recommendations? I don't plan on doing any deep space Astro, at least for now I'm only interested in some milkyway shots.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 18, 2017 12:03 |  #9

ericz34 wrote in post #18430853 (external link)
Thanks for the great info! I guess I fall into the full frame hype, but I know technique, and your gear will typically be more helpful than the camera alone. I didn't even think of a tracker! Any decent recommendations? I don't plan on doing any deep space Astro, at least for now I'm only interested in some milkyway shots.

For a begining tracker, look to the SkyWatcher Star-Adventurer package, and/or the iOptron Skytracker Pro series. They're around $300ish with some accessories for a bit more that may be worth while to you. These unlock astro doors much more than a new camera body or lens. With these, you can shoot at F4+ and 2~4 minutes at ISO1600 and get better results than a 30 second ISO 12,800 will produce, far better, far cleaner. Astro is all about getting the best data and then processing it. Longer exposure is better than higher ISO. These sensors have ideal ranges for their read/write noises and where dynamic range really starts to fall off and you'll find around ISO 1600 is a pretty common check point on these cameras if you want the best data to work with (but requires longer exposure times which won't work without a tracker).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sandwedge
Joined Aug 2011
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by sandwedge.
Aug 18, 2017 15:02 |  #10

I bought the iOptron Sky Guider Pro, which is the latest version, I believe. It comes with counterweights (which cost $70 for the sky tracker, I think), so the difference in price isn't that much.

I can't comment much on how it works, except it is currently outside taking practice shots for the eclipse. Seems to be doing well. I'm looking forward to shooting some night shots with it.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/63710159@N07/ (external link)
http://www.DougMoon.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
80D, 7D, 5D, t2i, sx50, Sigma 150-600C, 100-400L, 70-200L II, 100mm Macro, Sigma 17-70, Sigma 50 1.4, Tamron 28-75, Tokina 11-20, Bower 8mm

sponsored links

472 views & 3 likes for this thread
80D for Astro?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.