Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 18 Aug 2017 (Friday) 06:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Tripod help

alright12
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 18, 2017 06:26 |  #1

When I tightened my tripod — I think I overdid it — I heard a pop and saw a crack on the adjusting panel on its head. And no matter how I tighten it, it still doesn't go all the way; however, I am able to remove the thing (I don't know what it is called) that allows you to move the mount horizontally. There seems to be a problem inside, I haven't opened the head yet. I assume that there is a problem with some of its mechanical components inside, and I'm currently on Power Motion's (http://www.powerjackmo​tion.com ...ry/metal-maching-service/ (external link)) metal machining category looking for that specific material.

Do you have any idea what it is? And if you do have, can you also please provide more references/resources where I can learn more about the material, such as the one I gave above?

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,448 posts
Joined Dec 2002
Southeastern WI, USA
Aug 18, 2017 07:53 |  #2

You didn't even tell us the make and model of your tripod.

Photos would help as well.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 18, 2017 08:22 |  #3

In defense of the OP, this is the first post.

Most decent tripods have replaceable parts and the ones that don't are often inexpensive throwaways. But as noted we need to know exactly what you have.

alright12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Post has been edited 1 month ago by alright12.
Aug 18, 2017 16:37 |  #4

SkipD wrote in post #18430773 (external link)
You didn't even tell us the make and model of your tripod.

Photos would help as well.

Sorry, man. I bought it from a thrift shop and rather old, it has no name on its make, and the model name has faded — I should have invested in something better.

John from PA wrote in post #18430796 (external link)
In defense of the OP, this is the first post.

Most decent tripods have replaceable parts and the ones that don't are often inexpensive throwaways. But as noted we need to know exactly what you have.

Thank you! I don't think my tripod is that expensive regardless of it being bought from a thrift shop. Anyway, I have decided to go to the local shop, and if they can't have it repaired, I'll go buy a new one — a decent one.

My apologies. The next time I'll post, I'll try to make it clear to you, guys, as much. Thanks again!

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Aug 18, 2017 16:59 |  #5

alright12 wrote in post #18431195 (external link)
Sorry, man. I bought it from a thrift shop...

I can identify with that! I walked into a Goodwill yesterday and they had a Canon Elph 300HS marked "no battery, no charger, no manual and may not work" for $5. Knowing the wife had an Elph 100 I bought it and it works fine. So now I have a "pocket" cam. Not great but from pixel peeping it is better than my phone.

alright12
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 18, 2017 21:29 |  #6

John from PA wrote in post #18431210 (external link)
I can identify with that! I walked into a Goodwill yesterday and they had a Canon Elph 300HS marked "no battery, no charger, no manual and may not work" for $5. Knowing the wife had an Elph 100 I bought it and it works fine. So now I have a "pocket" cam. Not great but from pixel peeping it is better than my phone.

Glad it worked just fine for you. Yeah, that's the benefit of having a pocket cam, they always come in handy!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,596 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 18, 2017 23:26 |  #7

Show us a photo, maybe we can come up with a solution, or at least advise as to if it's worth pursuing :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

562 views & 1 like for this thread
Tripod help
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.