Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk
Thread started 18 Aug 2017 (Friday) 09:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Forum hosted images: artifacts in Chrome

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 19, 2017 05:14 |  #16

waterrockets wrote in post #18430897 (external link)
You're seeing it in Chrome on Windows, and it looks fine?

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing. The left is Chrome, and there's a vertical line in the hand (and many other artifacts):

QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com ...b70bc/O/post.jpg&lb​=1&s=A] (external link) on Smugmug

I can see that your demo has the artifact in the left side image. I do not see it in my PC (GTX 1060), because it is not there in the original file.

Possible explanations:

- Chrome may reduce image compression to save cache space, especially with thumbnails that are not resized from original size for the thumb display size. Perhaps Chrome has simply cached the image wrong (recompressed badly). Have you updated Chrome? Have you cleared the cache?

- you use some proxy server (or VPN service) which has cached that image wrong. For example, I have seen broken content/pages with F-secure Freedome and the only way to fix it was to disable Freedome, load the page, and enable Freedome again.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

sponsored links
waterrockets
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Aug 21, 2017 15:56 |  #17

Pekka wrote in post #18431600 (external link)
I can see that your demo has the artifact in the left side image. I do not see it in my PC (GTX 1060), because it is not there in the original file.

Possible explanations:

- Chrome may reduce image compression to save cache space, especially with thumbnails that are not resized from original size for the thumb display size. Perhaps Chrome has simply cached the image wrong (recompressed badly). Have you updated Chrome? Have you cleared the cache?

- you use some proxy server (or VPN service) which has cached that image wrong. For example, I have seen broken content/pages with F-secure Freedome and the only way to fix it was to disable Freedome, load the page, and enable Freedome again.

I'm happy you're at least seeing it in the demo image. Thanks.

I am on latest Chrome (60), and have cleared the cache, including between testing different networks.

I see the same problem through my raw Google Fiber home connection, my corporate network, and on my T-mobile hotspot through my Google Pixel phone. I also see this on every computer I use (two desktops and two laptops, some Win10, some Win7).

I do not see this on Chrome on my Pixel phone, and I don't see it on IE/Edge.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,145 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 21, 2017 19:14 |  #18

OK, back at home on my 2560x1440 monitor on Win7 64-bit, I do see a bit of a line on the left side demo image of post 3, but nothing seen on the linked image of post 1.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 23, 2017 14:30 |  #19

waterrockets wrote in post #18433462 (external link)
I'm happy you're at least seeing it in the demo image. Thanks.

I am on latest Chrome (60), and have cleared the cache, including between testing different networks.

I see the same problem through my raw Google Fiber home connection, my corporate network, and on my T-mobile hotspot through my Google Pixel phone. I also see this on every computer I use (two desktops and two laptops, some Win10, some Win7).

I do not see this on Chrome on my Pixel phone, and I don't see it on IE/Edge.

Open http://photography-on-the.net ...hp?p=17626161&i=i74​358129 and click the glasses icon on the right. Full size image opens, right click the image and "save as.." (change extension to .jpg). Does the image look ok when viewed on non-browser app (Photoshop, Image viewer...)?

All I know is that image that in server is without those artifacts. I suppose your last resort would be to call CTU and ask for Chloe O'Brian (external link) :)

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Ascenta.
Aug 23, 2017 14:40 |  #20

The original looks fine to me, but I do see it in your side-by-side. The line in the hand, left eye is blurry, less detail, overall a jpeg compression look to it. I would suggest that maybe you accidentally zoomed out in Chrome (by hitting CRTL and -) without realizing it. At 95% your screen may look normal, but it messes up images. But you said multiple computers, so that's out.

waterrockets
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Aug 24, 2017 14:50 |  #21

Ascenta wrote in post #18435155 (external link)
The original looks fine to me, but I do see it in your side-by-side. The line in the hand, left eye is blurry, less detail, overall a jpeg compression look to it. I would suggest that maybe you accidentally zoomed out in Chrome (by hitting CRTL and -) without realizing it. At 95% your screen may look normal, but it messes up images. But you said multiple computers, so that's out.

Nope, this is all images from certain hosts, for the last couple of years on multiple machines, only from Chrome. Just finally getting annoyed enough to try to chase it down. People post an otherwise great photo, and I'm thinking "well, great, but what's up with the missed focus and horrible IQ?" only to realize that it looks fine in IE.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

waterrockets
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Aug 24, 2017 14:53 |  #22

Ok, hold up. It looks fine now, well the same JPG artifacts are visible in Chrome and IE, and not anywhere near the extent of my example above.

Anyone know if the site was updated for such a reason?

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 25, 2017 04:20 |  #23

waterrockets wrote in post #18436036 (external link)
Ok, hold up. It looks fine now, well the same JPG artifacts are visible in Chrome and IE, and not anywhere near the extent of my example above.

Anyone know if the site was updated for such a reason?

Absolutely zero changes done here.

waterrockets
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,834 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Austin (near TX)
Aug 25, 2017 08:44 |  #24

Interesting. that photo now looks awesome, but I went hunting around and had no trouble seeing something horrible. This one looks like an oil painting that's melting in Chrome for me, but not Edge.

http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​430181

Oh well.

Chet
For $20, I'll be your friend.
41,614 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 25, 2017 09:00 |  #25

waterrockets wrote in post #18436583 (external link)
Interesting. that photo now looks awesome, but I went hunting around and had no trouble seeing something horrible. This one looks like an oil painting that's melting in Chrome for me, but not Edge.

Oh well.

She has a very yellow/green tint in Edge.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Aug 25, 2017 13:21 |  #26

waterrockets wrote in post #18436583 (external link)

Oh well.

Report it to Chrome dev, better take a lot of screenshots. I would be interested to know why it happens just to you.

https://support.google​.com/chrome/answer/953​15?hl=en (external link)

sponsored links

1,127 views & 3 likes for this thread
Forum hosted images: artifacts in Chrome
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.