Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 18 Aug 2017 (Friday) 15:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Taking Pictures of the Eclipse.

Douglas ­ Conway
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 18, 2017 15:16 |  #1

I have a 10 stop ND filter, is that enough to shot the eclipse?
Can I damage the sensor?

Ybnormel

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 18, 2017 15:18 |  #2

Douglas Conway wrote in post #18431133 (external link)

No.

It's not enough.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com ...282@N06/with/382034​70844/ (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Denver
Aug 18, 2017 17:27 |  #3

I just saw a guy talking about photographing the eclipse, basically he said if you can see light through your filter you can damage your sensor.

Flickrexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,496 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 18, 2017 18:13 |  #4

I think it depends on how you are taking the picture. Shooting the sun direct without any filter will not cause damage if you keep it pointed at the sun for a very short time. Same with the eye. Looking at the eclipse will not cause eye damage, staring at it for a long time will. I've seen some sites toss out staring at the sun for about 100 seconds will cause damage.

So, setting your camera pointed directly at the sun for long periods can cause damage. Looking through the camera with a long lens and pointing it at the sun will cause eye damage even faster. Setting up everything, popping up the camera and taking a picture won't do much.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Post has been edited 5 months ago by Mike Deep.
Aug 18, 2017 19:25 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #18431256 (external link)
I think it depends on how you are taking the picture. Shooting the sun direct without any filter will not cause damage if you keep it pointed at the sun for a very short time. Same with the eye. Looking at the eclipse will not cause eye damage, staring at it for a long time will. I've seen some sites toss out staring at the sun for about 100 seconds will cause damage.

So, setting your camera pointed directly at the sun for long periods can cause damage. Looking through the camera with a long lens and pointing it at the sun will cause eye damage even faster. Setting up everything, popping up the camera and taking a picture won't do much.

There is no acceptably safe exposure duration when shooting the sun with an unfiltered long lens, telephoto lens or telescope. Use a solar filter.

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

gjl711
53,496 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 18, 2017 21:02 |  #6

Mike Deep wrote in post #18431302 (external link)
There is no acceptably safe exposure duration when shooting the sun with an unfiltered long lens, telephoto lens or telescope. Use a solar filter.

That's not really true. Shooting the sun using LV or tethered especially if the total exposure time is a second or two will cause no harm to the camera. Shooting with a 10 stop ND with LV or tethered, you could probably leave the camera pointed at the sun for quite some time before things heat up. UV might hurt your eye but it does nothing to the camera. The IR is a bigger problem I would think. I do agree that a solar filter is clearly better but in a pinch, you can shoot without as long as your careful with very little risk.

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
Tampa, FL
Aug 18, 2017 21:12 |  #7

Sorry, I meant eye exposure. I'm taking a hard stance and recommending solar filters exclusively as it appears a lot of folks are going to try improvising and will injure themselves.

www.mikedeep.comexternal link | SportsShooterexternal link

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 18, 2017 21:16 |  #8

Douglas Conway wrote in post #18431133 (external link)
Can I damage the sensor?

You can potentially get some damage due to IR heating things up.

UV is fine, your sensor can take UV all day. Your eyes cannot.

IR is also fine for sensors, but, the heat is not, and IR and heat go together.

Solar filters block UV & IR and are strong ND filters. ND filters typically lack UV & IR. There are some that block IR, and they are fine for camera sensors (but not fine for eyes).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gjl711
53,496 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 18, 2017 21:24 |  #9

Mike Deep wrote in post #18431375 (external link)
Sorry, I meant eye exposure. I'm taking a hard stance and recommending solar filters exclusively as it appears a lot of folks are going to try improvising and will injure themselves.

Oh, absolutely, the sun and your nekid eye are not a good combo. My comment about looking at the sun was, if you happen to glance up and look at the sun for a few seconds, your not going blind. Staring at it for longer, and you might. Clearly, if you point a 600mm lens at the sun unfiltered and look through the VF, damage is going to happen very quickly indeed. DON'T LOOK A THE SUN without protection!!! Eclipse or not.

Shaun ­ Liddy
Joined Feb 2016
Aug 19, 2017 11:28 |  #10

Curious.. If eye damage is the bigger concern, why not use a live view instead of view finder? One is no longer subject to the UV when it's through the display.

So why not:
Set up on a tripod
Have a drape over the camera that is big enough for your head too
Set mirror lock up
Put the camera in lives view
Shoot away

gjl711
53,496 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 19, 2017 11:38 |  #11

Shaun Liddy wrote in post #18431747 (external link)
Curious.. If eye damage is the bigger concern, why not use a live view instead of view finder? One is no longer subject to the UV when it's through the display.

So why not:
Set up on a tripod
Have a drape over the camera that is big enough for your head too
Set mirror lock up
Put the camera in lives view
Shoot away

That's pretty much how I assume everyone is shooting. Either LV or tethered. I prefer tethered but that's just me. Still, you do not want to point the camera at the sun for a long time when unfiltered. UV will not damage a camera but given enough IR, it can.

Shaun ­ Liddy
Joined Feb 2016
Aug 19, 2017 12:48 |  #12

You can keep it pointed at the sun, just toss a lens cap on it :mrgreen:

ThomasDidymus
Joined Sep 2015
Saint Augustine
Aug 19, 2017 14:38 |  #13

Anyone going to get some drone pictures??? I am going to try, if the weather here stays nice.

Eyes like a shutter, mind like a lens..

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,114 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Post has been edited 5 months ago by CameraMan.
Aug 19, 2017 15:03 |  #14

ThomasDidymus wrote in post #18431858 (external link)
Anyone going to get some drone pictures??? I am going to try, if the weather here stays nice.

The sun is going to be pretty high at the time of the Eclipse. However, I want to try and get some shots of the horizons during the Eclipse. I figure we have about 90 seconds to get a nice 360 degree pan of the horizon. I'm hearing the horizon is really going to look neat with the sun peering over the moon. Could be quite spectacular.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,114 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2010
In The Sticks
Aug 20, 2017 07:40 |  #15

Another note... I'm reading on the NASA website where Shade 12-14 welding glass is fine for regular viewing... These have zero IR and UV protection. So is a camera sensor that much more delicate than the human eye?

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sponsored links

1,533 views & 1 like for this thread
Taking Pictures of the Eclipse.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.