Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 20 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 09:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Google shows how easy it is for software to remove watermarks from photos

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Aug 20, 2017 09:10 |  #1

https://www.theverge.c​om ...-removal-photo-protection (external link)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 20, 2017 09:42 |  #2

Removing the watermark is a separate issue to © violations & you don't need to have registered the image: From Carolyn E Wright's blog: (external link) Section 1202 of the U.S. Copyright Act makes it illegal for someone to remove the watermark from your photo so that it can disguise the infringement when used. The fines start at $2500 and go to $25,000 in addition to attorneys' fees and any damages for the infringement.
The pertinent part of the statute is included the link.

I wonder how that will affect google.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2017 11:15 |  #3

The real difficulty, unfortunately, is that although there may be some 'protections' in the law, if a professional photographer provides watermarked previews to an UNAWARE client who removes the watermark and sends the image out for printing (or they print it themselves) it still deprives the photographer of any income to be derived, the law is broken but no action is taken against the unaware client (because the photographer himself is unware of the violation by the client!)
The linked illustration of the ease of watermark removal shows how easily what I describe here can occur. The 'protection' is nothing more than 'compensation' when the deed is discovered and proven, as it does nothing to DETER the unknowing. The photographer would need to deliver a notice of the consequence of removing watermarks from previews and printing any of the altered previews, for there to be any possible deterence.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Aug 20, 2017 11:48 |  #4

Wilt wrote in post #18432424 (external link)
The real difficulty, unfortunately, is that although there may be some 'protections' in the law, if a professional photographer provides watermarked previews to an UNAWARE client who removes the watermark and sends the image out for printing (or they print it themselves) it still deprives the photographer of any income to be derived, the law is broken but no action is taken against the unaware client (because the photographer himself is unware of the violation by the client!)
The linked illustration of the ease of watermark removal shows how easily what I describe here can occur. The 'protection' is nothing more than 'compensation' when the deed is discovered and proven, as it does nothing to DETER the unknowing. The photographer would need to deliver a notice of the consequence of removing watermarks from previews and printing any of the altered previews, for there to be any possible deterence.

I think the best way to protect your image is to give a "proof" image that is extremely low resolution.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,038 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 20, 2017 13:50 |  #5

Pigpen101 wrote in post #18432467 (external link)
I think the best way to protect your image is to give a "proof" image that is extremely low resolution.

Photographers have been known to provide very low resolution previews and STILL the client prints images for themselves which they find to be satisfactory for their uses!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Aug 20, 2017 13:54 |  #6

Wilt wrote in post #18432555 (external link)
Photographers have been known to provide very low resolution previews and STILL the client prints images for themselves which they find to be satisfactory for their uses!

Especially at that price.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Aug 20, 2017 14:35 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #18432555 (external link)

I provided a friend with a bunch of thumbnails of a shoot I did for him as a favor. He never did pick up the photos. Later I was surprised he just used the thumbnails on his website. They were a bit small, but more or less did the trick. Some folks don't need much IQ.

There was no money involved, so it was no problem - it just surprised me that such low res pics were usable.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

PhotosGuy
74,727 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 20, 2017 15:05 |  #8

I had a guy take a 800px wide medium res web image & make what he said was "a great looking 8X10" print". I asked him to tell anyone who asked that I didn't print it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,046 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 20, 2017 15:18 |  #9

Watermarks are like your house front door lock. It's there to keep honest people honest. For those interested in thievery, a watermark will not stop anyone just as your front door lock won't stop someone from wanting to get in.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links

614 views & 1 like for this thread
Google shows how easy it is for software to remove watermarks from photos
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.