Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 20 Aug 2017 (Sunday) 13:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 5Diii - image quality?

Wms160985
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 20, 2017 13:54 |  #1

Hi all, I've recently picked up a Canon 5diii but I've not been blown away by the image quality straight out of the camera. I previously shot with a 550D as my first ever DSLR and expected a big jump in performance moving up to the 5diii. A prime example is the image attached to this thread, where the horizon is clearly skewed... This can obviously be fixed post production, but wouldn't expect such a big horizon curve straight from RAW... This is only one example where the 5diii hasn't quite lived up to my expectations. The camera was bought online from an Importer, and I'm slightly concerned that it's a 'grey' import, potentially re-furbed etc... I've taken about 1000 shots so far. Would be great to hear of anyone else's experiences, or thoughts on the Camera etc based on the image shown. The picture was taken with the standard EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM Lens Kit. Happy to share others straight from the camera, without any post-production. Thanks for any feedback !

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by welshwizard1971. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2017 14:13 |  #2

The sea being curved is a lens issue, nothing to do with the camera ( wide angle 24mm so slight distortion, cracking lens for the money but not great at the extremes ) , I'd say it was a trifle over exposed too, that may be a camera issue, what metering setting did you use? Chances are, the wrong one from the looks of it, so nowt wrong with the camera. For this shot all easily fixed if shot in RAW, adjust PP for the lens distortion, increase saturation and contrast, thrown in a grad filter, voila......

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 20, 2017 14:17 |  #3

At ISO 125 shooting at f/8 in bright noon sun while your subject is stationary, there is not going to be a lot of difference in image quality. In those conditions you could have taken the image with your phone camera and it would be hard to tell the difference. The pin cushioning looks about normal for the 24-105 at 24mm.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Wms160985
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 20, 2017 16:14 |  #4

Thanks for the comments guys - sounds like everything is OK in the Hardware world. Will keep an eye on future images, and compensate for conditions slightly more while taking shots, and in post-production! I'll jump back on here with any future questions - useful, and quick responses - cheers !

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 20, 2017 16:46 |  #5

Wms160985 wrote in post #18432562 (external link)
Hi all, I've recently picked up a Canon 5diii but I've not been blown away by the image quality straight out of the camera. I previously shot with a 550D as my first ever DSLR and expected a big jump in performance moving up to the 5diii. A prime example is the image attached to this thread, where the horizon is clearly skewed... This can obviously be fixed post production, but wouldn't expect such a big horizon curve straight from RAW... This is only one example where the 5diii hasn't quite lived up to my expectations. The camera was bought online from an Importer, and I'm slightly concerned that it's a 'grey' import, potentially re-furbed etc... I've taken about 1000 shots so far. Would be great to hear of anyone else's experiences, or thoughts on the Camera etc based on the image shown. The picture was taken with the standard EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM Lens Kit. Happy to share others straight from the camera, without any post-production. Thanks for any feedback !
thumbnailHosted photo: posted by Wms160985 in
./showthread.php?p=184​32562&i=i11523807
forum: Camera Vs. Camera

Crickey!!! You're not a member of the Flat Earth Society are you?

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,284 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 20, 2017 18:51 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #18432576 (external link)
At ISO 125 shooting at f/8 in bright noon sun while your subject is stationary, there is not going to be a lot of difference in image quality. In those conditions you could have taken the image with your phone camera and it would be hard to tell the difference. The pin cushioning looks about normal for the 24-105 at 24mm.

Pretty sure that is barrel distortion. Nonetheless, it is distortion. The 24-105 may or may not be a good lens, that is debatable. It is surely one of Canon's worst distortion lenses at 24mm. The shooter aggravates the distortion by not shooting level. If your lens is pointed either up or down, the shooter is adding to the distortion. I have 12mm and 15mm FE lenses. Reasonably level horizons are possible with those, if the lens is level with the horizon.

To my mind, it makes no sense to pay big $$ for a 5D3, and shoot it JPG. That is just throwing away 80% of the data your camera is capturing. Shooting raw gives you a lot more processing latitude. In some software, raw is the only way to get lens profiles to help you.

One last point. The 5D3 is geared for a more advanced shooter than is the T2i/550D. The 550D will by default produce more saturated, more contrasty, consumer type images. Canon assumes someone shooting a top-tier camera like the 5D3 will want a more 'natural' image with which to work. I think most manufacturers do this.

Tom

gjl711
53,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 20, 2017 18:57 |  #7

Whoops, yes, I always get barrel and pincushion mixed up.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Aug 20, 2017 19:00 |  #8

Um, the Earth is a sphere. The horizon is mostly perceived as flat, but it's not. A wide angle lens will make the curvature more apparent.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

gjl711
53,010 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 20, 2017 19:06 |  #9

joedlh wrote in post #18432765 (external link)
Um, the Earth is a sphere. The horizon is mostly perceived as flat, but it's not. A wide angle lens will make the curvature more apparent.

Actually, a wide angle with barrel distortion will make a perfectly straight line curved. It's an artifact of the lens, not the curvature of the earth.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Aug 20, 2017 19:12 as a reply to gjl711's post |  #10

It will also exaggerate the curve of the earth if the horizon is placed near the top of the frame, or appear to reduce it if this horizon is placed near the bottom.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

davesrose
Goldmember
2,774 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by davesrose.
Aug 20, 2017 21:12 |  #11

The 24-105mm f4 lens is supposed to have a bit more barrel distortion at 24mm then some other lenses (and would especially be highlighted in a FF framing). Welcome to the world of FF: where you might need a more expensive lens to take full advantage of the FF features.

Lens Distortion Comparison (external link)

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,005 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by Wilt. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 20, 2017 21:35 |  #12

The photozone.de testing shows just how bad the barrel distortion is, with the 24-105mm f/4 L IS lens at 24mm..."barrel distortion of 4.3% at 24mm ", which is more than most zooms at widest FL.

http://www.photozone.d​e ...-canon_24105_4_5d?start​=1 (external link)

shows how much bowing of lines that ought to be straight, in the Distortion characteristic. Zooms are generally worse than fixed FL lenses for barrel distortion at WA FL.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Wms160985
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 21, 2017 12:10 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #13

haha definitely not! Although, wouldn't that be interesting ?! ;)

Wms160985
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 21, 2017 12:12 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #14

Hi Bassat, thanks for your response. Fair comments! I only posted in .jpg to show the horizon concern I had. Definitely shoot all my images in RAW, would be foolish not to ;) cheers

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2013
Toronto, Canada
Aug 22, 2017 07:11 |  #15

Where full frames shine are high ISO performance and shallow Depth of Field for portraits.
There is not going to be an astronomical jump for image quality even in that scenarios but the difference is there.

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880
Website - http://www.shotlifestu​dio.com/ (external link)

sponsored links

1,496 views & 16 likes for this thread
Canon 5Diii - image quality?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.