Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 21 Aug 2017 (Monday) 09:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

copyright / rights for client?

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Sep 2007
london UK
Aug 21, 2017 09:05 |  #1

i usually do parties and events for private individuals and i always keep the copyright and give unlimited printed rights for personal use to my clients

i have a job for a business client to photogprah an event for them , where they will want to use the images for their marketing/ website etc

is it the same, do i hold the copyright but give them permission to use the images for any marketing purposes ( but they are not allowed to selll the images)

or do i just give them all rights/?

thanks in advance

this is in the UK btw

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

sponsored links
thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 21, 2017 09:20 |  #2

If it was me I'd go with any marketing or business use except sale of images. Unlikely they would want to sell them but they should be allowed to do as they want with them in connection with their business.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Aug 21, 2017 10:03 |  #3

dynamitetony wrote in post #18433125 (external link)
i usually do parties and events for private individuals and i always keep the copyright and give unlimited printed rights for personal use to my clients

i have a job for a business client to photogprah an event for them , where they will want to use the images for their marketing/ website etc

is it the same, do i hold the copyright but give them permission to use the images for any marketing purposes ( but they are not allowed to selll the images)

or do i just give them all rights/?

thanks in advance

this is in the UK btw

You have two choices.

1) You can let the client use the images under license, which means that you retain the copyright and the client has limited usage of the images dependent on the the terms of the contract.

2) You can sell the copyright of the images to the client, thereafter the client can do whatever they like with them.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

Scott ­ Spellman
Joined Oct 2015
Royal Oak MI
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Scott Spellman. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 21, 2017 12:04 |  #4

First- get a real IP lawyer and use a written contract in all situations where you are grating photo rights to another business.
Second- you can easily keep copyright and grant limited rights to your client. The rights granted could be unlimited or restricted as specified.
Third- do not try to make your own contract without a lawyer because it will likely not provide you or your client the rights you may think it does.
Fourth- some countries have privacy laws that require a written consent agreement called a model release for all recognizable people shown in advertising. Since you could be sued, you should investigate this issue with the lawyer.

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 3 months ago by Dan Marchant.
Aug 22, 2017 10:31 |  #5

In commercial photography the value of an image depends on how much revenue it will generate which in turn depends on how many potential customers see it. An image used in a UK only marketing campaign will generate less revenue than one used in a Europe wide campaign.

So when costing a job you charge a shooting fee, additional costs (travel, rental, crew hire etc) and a licensing fee. The latter varies depending on the planned usage. There is no reason why a client should pay you for world-wide right if they only intend to use the image in the UK. Likewise there is no reason why you should give away world-wide rights (or all rights) if they are only paying you for UK. Otherwise clients would all come to you claiming that images will just be used in one small local paper, pay accordingly and then use them throughout the UK/EU at no extra cost.

As Scott says you should get an IP lawyer to draft your contract so that it grants the rights needed but doesn't give away ones that aren't.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 22, 2017 13:02 as a reply to Dan Marchant's post |  #6

Just curious: how does the Internet fit into regional rights? Considering that a webpage, unlike some youtube videos, is not restricted to regions and can be accessed from anywhere in the world, do clients need to purchase worldwide usage rights if they are gonna use the images on their web sites?

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Aug 22, 2017 13:52 |  #7

Seeing as the OP is in Blighty this should do.

http://www.londonfreel​ance.org/forms/cccform​.pdf (external link)

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

dynamitetony
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Sep 2007
london UK
Sep 04, 2017 15:03 |  #8

ok , so i have got a trial with the company for one event

now i have to work out a small contract of terms, tbh, i cant afford an IP lawer at this stage

i just have to think about what to offer them , something along rights to use in their marketing, but are not allowed to sell any of the images

only thing im not sure, is they are an international company and should i keep rights to UK only or worldwide

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Sep 04, 2017 22:24 |  #9

dynamitetony wrote in post #18444442 (external link)
only thing im not sure, is they are an international company and should i keep rights to UK only or worldwide

Ask your client what they want, then charge accordingly.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

dynamitetony
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Joined Sep 2007
london UK
Sep 05, 2017 03:19 |  #10

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18444734 (external link)
Ask your client what they want, then charge accordingly.

Sometimes cant see the wood for the trees.... great idea.

me stressing about what to put in my T&Cs , when i should just ask them .. :)

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Sep 05, 2017 15:12 |  #11

another idea is to check out the terms for GettyImages, ShutterStock and etc.. they have different price structures depending upon use (since this is a custom job, don't use their price structure) and this may help to decide what all to include as rights for the client. Many times they are only viable for a year, and the client then renews those rights on a yearly basis, until they want to do a marketing refresh.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

sponsored links

1,044 views & 2 likes for this thread
copyright / rights for client?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.