Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 21 Aug 2017 (Monday) 09:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Photos Feedback

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 21, 2017 14:40 |  #16

john crossley wrote in post #18433372 (external link)
If you are not happy with the quality of the photographs then tell the photographer. After all you're the one that has paid for them. And you're the one that has to look at them.

He is not who we booked. He was arranged by our photographer as he couldn't do it. He paid him etc. We did check his website and it looked ok so we went with it. The photographer we booked was a regular award winner in wedding photography.

If that is all he has from our day what's the point in telling him, there's virtually nothing he can do about it. Really I just wanted some clarification as to whether I was expecting too much. General opinion is we got what we paid for but my view is surely there is a minimum standard. My son has more understanding of exposure and composition and he is 5.

I think I'll bring up with the photographer who ultimately hired him and felt he'd do the work to a similar standard.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,976 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 21, 2017 15:02 |  #17

thc1979 wrote in post #18433385 (external link)
He is not who we booked. He was arranged by our photographer as he couldn't do it. He paid him etc. We did check his website and it looked ok so we went with it. The photographer we booked was a regular award winner in wedding photography.

If that is all he has from our day what's the point in telling him, there's virtually nothing he can do about it. Really I just wanted some clarification as to whether I was expecting too much. General opinion is we got what we paid for but my view is surely there is a minimum standard. My son has more understanding of exposure and composition and he is 5.

I think I'll bring up with the photographer who ultimately hired him and felt he'd do the work to a similar standard.

If you booked an award winning photographer then at the very least you should expect award winning photographs irrespective of whether the award winning photographer sub-contracted the work or not.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 2 months ago by thc1979.
Aug 21, 2017 15:06 |  #18

john crossley wrote in post #18433420 (external link)
If you booked an award winning photographer then at the very least you should expect award winning photographs irrespective of whether the award winning photographer sub-contracted the work or not.

I did ask if he was as good or nearly as good he assured me the guy was good. They also both wer fully aware I do photography work (not weddings!) so to send a photographer out of focus/blurred/crooked images is a bit of a joke. I'd rather have had 10 decent images and a few excuses than 135 where 90% of them are poor quality

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Aug 22, 2017 13:40 |  #19

I've not seen em yet. I'm a newbie in wedding terms, done 5 this year, 1 last, and in total it's about 13. I don't charge much as my standard isn't up with the big boys. That said, I wouldn't give an OOF shot UNLESS it would have been a killer shot in focus, and giving it an Orton soft focus filter would rescue it. I'll give my tuppenceworth when I've seen them.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 22, 2017 15:02 as a reply to Colin Glover's post |  #20

I agree with Colin. I have just started my wedding adventure and I'm VERY CAREFUL with what I present my customers. I don't charge too much as I think that I'm no way near as experienced as sino of the guys here. I would NEVER send an out of focus image. If you want to share them with me I can add my two cents.

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 22, 2017 18:14 |  #21

thc1979 wrote in post #18433228 (external link)
But would you pay someone $400 for poorly composed, out of focus images and accept that's the limit of their talents? Considering the bloke was constantly chimping the images I assumed he was checking them and they would be ok otherwise he'd have re-shot them. Some of our guests did better with their iPhones. Certainly not on par with his advertised portfolio.

I think we paid about £400 (UK), it was a mid-week wedding and he was there with us for about 3 or 4 hours. Maybe what I'm saying is that although we didn't pay top price for a top photographer I was expecting the photos to technically ok.

I'm not sure whether to ask if he's sent me the correct set of photos?!

Ok, after a quick view here are my first impressions:

- 135 photos, but a lot of them are more or less the same scenario half a second apart
- There are some photos that, as stated before, with a bit of work, they may turn into really nice ones
- Image size is all over the place, suggesting tight cropping on some of them that makes no sense (on the ring exchange photos a looser crop would work better)
- I have a pet hate, obviously crooked photos, and there are some good examples here
- As a photographer, alarm bells would've rang with the use of direct flash
- Photos outdoors are quite ok, but the composition on some is lacking
- Almost no attention to DOF
- Some photos OOF, some with motion blur. Not acceptable
- Some photos over processed. On some of them, the bride's face looks quite unnatural.
- Shoot RAW and adjust white balance accordingly.

All in all, I would've thought that this photos were taken by somebody with almost no experience in wedding photography. This would've been ok if you were informed of it and accepted it as a fact. By all means these are not photographs taken by an award winning photographer (unless the awards are not for photography). I would definitely speak with the originally hired photographer about what your expectations were. I would show him the photos too.

2 months after my wedding, I was told that the photographs had been lost during the wedding day. The photographer never told me, and on top of that, was trying to get photos from my guests and make the pass as her own. This is why I am super careful now any time I photograph a wedding. I know that ****ups happen. But this is not an excuse to mislead the client. Maybe ask the photographer if anything happened

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Colin Glover. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 22, 2017 19:08 |  #22

First off, congratulations, you're lovely family. I Saw them on my phone, so may have appeared sharper than they are. First off some observations. 1. Nowhere near 135 images. Lot of dupes there. 2. Lot of OOF shots. Lot of shots looked in focus, but not seen on pc. 3. What the heck! on a lot of shots, especially the reception. Why would anyone want photos of queuing for buffet, or helping themselves? And table photos are unflattering. No one to focus eyes on. I get them to smile at camera or get a couple to pose or put my 55-200 on and
from a distance away zoom in on a person or couple. 4. He did get emotion in the intimate shots, but some of those weren't flattering. Why get bride sniffing a blue flower when a rose should have been used? 5. WB off in ceremony shots. Was he using a flash for the service? Shadows on some that were unflattering. 6. Not getting bride to look up at camera when walking. I tell bride to look up at camera. 7. Not cropping.Too many half bodies in shot. And things in the detail shots, e.g. Bottom of a pint glass. Any decent tog crops them out as they just look odd. 8. Can he use straighten tool in LR. Looks like he lost a lot of images. For a 4 hr wedding I'd take over 1K shots and give about 400. For a 2 hr gig it's 6-800 and 200 delivered. Must have had card or camera failure. Were there times in ceremony when he wasn't shooting?
So, what do you do? Well, you got less than what you paid for. What camera did he use? Was it pro grade or rebel? As suggested, tell whoever you booked. Reach a compromise. As consolation, I have seen worse, I can point you to someone on the net who charges £1500 and is only equal if not worse.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 22, 2017 19:16 |  #23

Cuba, we are saying the same thing.:-) I hadn't seen image sizes all over the place as on my phone. Demand the raws and edit yourself.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 2 months ago by thc1979.
Aug 22, 2017 23:44 |  #24

Thanks Colin & Cuba

I agree there does appear to have been some kind of card or equipment failure, or perhaps he had a stroke that morning and hadn't realised. Perhaps he's just plain lazy. The original photographer returned my call last night and I asked if he had seen the photos (the same ones I've sent to those on here - all of them) and initially he said they looked great. This wasn't what I was expecting and clearly he either hadn't looked at the properly or perhaps not at all. I've left it with him to have another look and hopefully he will call back.

We chose the original photographer because he did a wedding that I was best man at a few years ago. I saw how he worked on the day and his final images were great, even the ones that hadn't had any major editing was great. His use of lighting was flawless, I mean flawless. When I went to see him before Christmas to book I explained we were having a mid week wedding, pretty standard registry office, quick visit to the river bank and then down the pub for a BBQ. It was going to be around 4 hours work "on site" plus his time editing. I didn't ask for prints or an album as I have all the equipment to print what we need. He quoted me £250, when I questioned this he explained that it was a small job and was happy with that price. To put this into context my friends wedding he did he charged £1200 for but this was a FULL day 0800-2300 with an assistant/second shooter plus it included albums and prints. Now he is/was an LBIPP and LMPA and his results matched those qualifications. I've honestly never seen an image from him I didn't like.

When he called several months ago to say he couldn't do our wedding due to family commitments he was originally going to just refund us, but he called a few days later to say he had arranged it with another photographer and paid him. I almost jokingly asked at the time if this guy was as good or nearly as good and he said he was. Now when you have someone capable of an LMPA and having recently been a regional winner in The English Wedding Awards 2016 saying he has confidence in someone I have no hesitation in believing that. As it turns out this was not quite right and he may well be sh**ting himself now.

The first thing my Dad said on the day of our wedding was "who's the bloke with the Nikon"! And when he was pointing the flash directly at things yes alarm bells were ringing but at that time I had to trust what he was doing. He was chimping on his camera at a lot of images, checking the histogram - as it turns out he may have just been checking the time. He had two Nikons with him at all times, not sure what they were or what lenses he had as I'm not into Nikon. If the size of his files are anything to go by (3596x2400 = 8.6MP) then perhaps they're not very good Nikons but I think it more likely he's resized them for reasons only known to him. The biggest alarm bells rang when he delivered the USB stick on Friday saying there were two sets, one at 72dpi and one at 300dpi. What affect dpi has on a JPEG is completely unknown to me. 300dpi is certainly not what I would class as full resolution.

Cuba's summary is pretty spot on with what I thought plus a few things I hadn't even noticed. We will have to see what the original photog says, but the biggest joke of all and the reason I had very little sleep was I got the following email from him last night. To say I am angry is an understatement:

"Hi Tom and Jo

I forgot to mention when I saw you the other evening if it would be Ok with you if I used some of your photos for my Twitter/Facebook/websi​te? Would that be Ok?"

What do you say to that - if you find any worth posting let me know which ones they are!

I think possibly the only resolution I am going to accept is that he hands over all of his raw files in return for me never telling anyone who took our wedding photos. There are some salvageable ones but with JPEGs of less than 100% quality they are unworkable. I know some people are precious about their raw files but I think I would be justified to have them in this case, if he took them in RAW at all that is.

One of the biggest reasons I am kicking myself about all this is because it was due to rain on our wedding day, all day. We weren't sure how he was going to handle that as it can be tricky, so as a precaution I took my 5D4, 24-70 and 70-200 in my car and then if we had better weather later in the day we could re-shoot. I could easily have setup the camera and given it to someone and gotten reasonable/acceptable results. What happened was that after the ceremony, at the river bank and at the pub for the garden photos the sun came out. I thought he must have nailed it, my gear stayed in the car.

Now if we had invited "uncle jack" and he had sent me those 135 photos I would thank him and be grateful a few were printable, but anyone calling themselves a professional photographer, wedding or otherwise, shouldn't be sending out that quality of work.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 23, 2017 05:05 |  #25

Hi res to me is megapixel size. Full size Jpegs on my 70D are between 10 - 15 Mb whilst Raws top out at 25-30 Mb. Dpi is for printing and Sharing. My shots are set to LR defaults and print nicely. My low res for FB are usually 1080 x 720 1Mp as FB downsizes to just under 1mp so no point going higher. No difference viewing either on FB.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 23, 2017 05:15 |  #26

Colin Glover wrote in post #18434686 (external link)
Hi res to me is megapixel size. Full size Jpegs on my 70D are between 10 - 15 Mb whilst Raws top out at 25-30 Mb. Dpi is for printing and Sharing. My shots are set to LR defaults and print nicely. My low res for FB are usually 1080 x 720 1Mp as FB downsizes to just under 1mp so no point going higher. No difference viewing either on FB.

I think the DPI/PPI thing is a constant source of threads and confusion in many forums.

AshikChauhan
Joined Apr 2017
Leicester
Aug 23, 2017 06:08 |  #27

Hello, I wouldn't mind taking a look & providing some feedback. Feel free to PM message me the link!

UK Based Portrait & Travel Photographer | Ashik Chauhan Photography
www.ashikphotography.c​o.uk (external link) | www.ashikchauhan.co.uk (external link) | Google+ (external link) |Instagram (external link).

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 23, 2017 06:12 |  #28

Just to update, the photographer has now confirmed the images I have are the correct set -?

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 23, 2017 06:42 |  #29

That's not good. Will he give you the raws? Have you asked? And have you asked him if the price you paid was the price he received? I.E.did the award winner take a cut?

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,976 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 23, 2017 07:13 |  #30

You entered into a contract with the “Award Winning Photographer” therefore it is not unreasonable to expect that your wedding photographs are of the same quality and standard as the photographs displayed on his website/facebook page, irrespective of how much he actually charged you, or whether or not he sub-contracted the wedding to another photographer. The onus is now on the “Award Winning Photographer” to resolve the issues. If you are not happy with the photographs, and they do not meet with your own expectations of what you believed you were going to receive, then he, the “Award Winning Photographer” has three options:
1) Give you a full refund.
2) Re-shoot the wedding at his own expense.
3) Give you a partial refund if you decide to keep some of the photographs.

You might also want to read the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

http://www.legislation​.gov.uk ...dfs/ukpga_20150015_​en.pdf (external link)

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

sponsored links

3,377 views & 11 likes for this thread
Wedding Photos Feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.