Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events
Thread started 21 Aug 2017 (Monday) 09:06
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Photos Feedback

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 23, 2017 07:50 as a reply to post 18434735 |  #31

Thanks, I spoke to the "award winner" and his attitude was he subcontracted it and was sorry it has happened, but take it up with Photog B. Pretty much washed his hands of it.

I have sent a rather long winded email to Photog B, I've given some harsh but fair and polite advice (some taken from those on POTN who have been kind enough to review) and given him the options of either editing the images WITH ME in my office to a mutually agreed standard or that he sends either original RAW files or uncompressed TIFF files and I edit them myself and say no more of the matter.

On the plus side I have managed to get some of the low resolution files looking ok so it CAN be done with these files, it would just be nice to have some more than a compressed JPEG to work with.

We'll see what happens, but thanks to all who have looked at the images.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

sponsored links
Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Aug 23, 2017 09:30 |  #32

As to breach of contract, did you sign anything with the award winner? If it was all verbal, then when he said he couldn't do it and he'd hired someone else and paid them, then when you said OK you were verbally agreeing to hiring the actual tog. And if by looking at his portfolio, you thought OK, he'll do, again it could be deemed that you were happy. Wedding photography goes bad for several reasons, and one is poor images, one is equipment, and yet another is the editing. I mentioned seeing worse. The one tog I was thinking of, for example, had a picture of the groom and best man in church. A huge shaft of light was streaming on the best mans face, overexposing it almst beyond recovery. His wedding images were awful. 'His' portraits however (non wedding) were amazing, and I think it's not the same photographer. As you say the images received don't match his portfolio quality. Are they his? I heard of one guy putting other togs work on his website with a disclaimer, saying images weren't his, but as he was building a portfolio, they'd get Images like these.' Needless to say, photostealers outed him. Are you sure his portfolio is his work, not his mates? Check both portfolios for proof or do a google search by image in case he ripped off other togs images. You may have a case for fraud.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 1 month ago by thc1979.
Aug 23, 2017 09:38 |  #33

Colin Glover wrote in post #18434830 (external link)
As to breach of contract, did you sign anything with the award winner? If it was all verbal, then when he said he couldn't do it and he'd hired someone else and paid them, then when you said OK you were verbally agreeing to hiring the actual tog. And if by looking at his portfolio, you thought OK, he'll do, again it could be deemed that you were happy. Wedding photography goes bad for several reasons, and one is poor images, one is equipment, and yet another is the editing. I mentioned seeing worse. The one tog I was thinking of, for example, had a picture of the groom and best man in church. A huge shaft of light was streaming on the best mans face, overexposing it almst beyond recovery. His wedding images were awful. 'His' portraits however (non wedding) were amazing, and I think it's not the same photographer. As you say the images received don't match his portfolio quality. Are they his? I heard of one guy putting other togs work on his website with a disclaimer, saying images weren't his, but as he was building a portfolio, they'd get Images like these.' Needless to say, photostealers outed him. Are you sure his portfolio is his work, not his mates? Check both portfolios for proof or do a google search by image in case he ripped off other togs images. You may have a case for fraud.

I think the images on his site are definitely his, they are a bit dull and boring but they're not blurred, out of focus, etc. The first photographer IS very good and I am sure if he had done the wedding it would have been great.

Apart from a receipt from the original photographer I have no contract. He was going to send one but never did. When he told me he couldn't do it he was originally just going to refund me, but then he called a few days later to say he had arranged and paid for someone else, who he assured me was as good as him. He didn't tell me his name or company just his first name and that the guy would contact me and all his notes from our meeting would be passed on to him. So really, he didn't ask if it was ok for him to choose someone else, but because he did it so confidently I had no reason to doubt the quality. In hindsight I would have preferred a refund and then be left to make our own mistakes! In fact the more I think about it the more I think I could have shot most of my own wedding with a little help from anyone with steady hands.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by thc1979. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 24, 2017 05:39 |  #34

UPDATE: The photographer has agreed to send me the raw NEF files next week, and since he is being amicable about it I have told him I will send him back copies of the edited photos for his records (by law they are actually his photos). I'm glad he's willing to comply, he said he just wants us to have images of our day that we are happy with. But then he also said he spent two days editing ours :-P

Also turns out our original photographer who said he was an LMPA LBIPP and LSWPP is none of them. MPA haven't heard from him since 2012/13, LBIPP have never heard of him so say if he was a member is was a LONG time ago and haven't heard from SWPP but predict something similar as he's not listed on their website.

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 24, 2017 07:03 |  #35

Case of fraud for sure if his website states that he is. I have a diploma in wedding photography from Shaw Acadamy. Online webinar course for 3 weeks, didn't learn much I didn't know, and the exam was all questions from our practice papers over the 3 weeks. 2 hrs allowed to complete. Took me 22 minutes and scored 94 or 96%. 100 questions. Gutted I missed 4. COPD accreditation, but all that means is an external company oversaw it. I don't advertise the fact I have it, but I do mention it to clients. Cost £19.00 on a Groupon deal. And I missed the fact EVERYONE can get 1 free course if you are a new member, and as I've done a course already I can't do that course in nuclear fission in Martian environmental climates. Darn it!
Are you sure they're not related, and that he didn't take a booking for his cousin or nephew lol. ;-)a
Seriously though, that's what it sounds like. If I was charging £1200.00 a gig, I wouldn't do one for less than £600.00 unless it was family or a client bring me loads of business. You were only best man at a wedding he shot, and unless the best man was his relation, I can't see him doing such a big favor. Does he have a day Job?

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 1 month ago by thc1979.
Aug 24, 2017 07:07 |  #36

Colin Glover wrote in post #18435706 (external link)
Case of fraud for sure if his website states that he is. I have a diploma in wedding photography from Shaw Acadamy. Online webinar course for 3 weeks, didn't learn much I didn't know, and the exam was all questions from our practice papers over the 3 weeks. 2 hrs allowed to complete. Took me 22 minutes and scored 94 or 96%. 100 questions. Gutted I missed 4. COPD accreditation, but all that means is an external company oversaw it. I don't advertise the fact I have it, but I do mention it to clients. Cost £19.00 on a Groupon deal. And I missed the fact EVERYONE can get 1 free course if you are a new member, and as I've done a course already I can't do that course in nuclear fission in Martian environmental climates. Darn it!
Are you sure they're not related, and that he didn't take a booking for his cousin or nephew lol. ;-)a
Seriously though, that's what it sounds like. If I was charging £1200.00 a gig, I wouldn't do one for less than £600.00 unless it was family or a client bring me loads of business. You were only best man at a wedding he shot, and unless the best man was his relation, I can't see him doing such a big favor. Does he have a day Job?

To be fair his £1200 was for two people ALL DAY. Ours was literally 3 hours and just one

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 24, 2017 08:18 |  #37

That's true. But the award winner is being fraudulent if he keeps displaying the logos if he's no longer a member. I won a photography contest five years ago. That makes me an award winner. As it was for Photography For Beginners magazine (and my prize was substituted for a book on photographing motherhood), and I don't use it to get business.

I don't like fraudulent claims to get business. Heck, I used to be a DJ and the backstabbing that goes on to get business is unbelievable.

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 24, 2017 09:31 |  #38

Colin Glover wrote in post #18435748 (external link)
I won a photography contest five years ago. That makes me an award winner.

That reminds me I won a photographic competition in 1991 (village fete!), so I too am an award winning photographer!! :-P:-P

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 24, 2017 09:59 |  #39

Colin Glover wrote in post #18435706 (external link)

Online wedding diploma?

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Colin Glover.
Aug 24, 2017 11:35 as a reply to cubatahavana's post |  #40

Absolutely. The missus was going on about learning photography properly and she saw it on Groupon. Really enjoyed it, tutor was a lovely Irishwoman, as they're Dublin based. Easy to follow, live PowerPoint style webinars, and the chance to win €1000.00 every session you attend (never thought I'd ever need to use the Euro key lol). You'd like it. Search Shaw Acadamy free course, unless you've already joined.
Two days editing photos is a joke. I take 3-4 weeks of evenings for 3-500 images as I have a day job. That's a joke.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
1,966 posts
Joined Nov 2009
It's Grim Up North
Aug 24, 2017 15:17 |  #41

thc1979 wrote in post #18433228 (external link)
I think we paid about £400 (UK), it was a mid-week wedding and he was there with us for about 3 or 4 hours.

thc1979 wrote in post #18434614 (external link)
He quoted me £250, when I questioned this he explained that it was a small job and was happy with that price.

thc1979 wrote in post #18435660 (external link)
UPDATE: The photographer has agreed to send me the raw NEF files next week, and since he is being amicable about it I have told him I will send him back copies of the edited photos for his records (by law they are actually his photos). I'm glad he's willing to comply, he said he just wants us to have images of our day that we are happy with. But then he also said he spent two days editing ours :-P

So you have paid this so called award winning photographer an extortionate amount of money for the privilege of editing your own wedding photographs. Priceless.

I'll remember that the next time I take my car in for a service. I'll give the local Audi dealer £500 and then service the car myself. That'll teach them.

Some days I'm the dog, other days I'm the lamppost

deronsizemore
Joined Dec 2010
Post has been edited 1 month ago by deronsizemore.
Aug 24, 2017 15:28 |  #42

thc1979 wrote in post #18435660 (external link)
But then he also said he spent two days editing ours.

To me, that shows even moreso that he was inexperienced. No way he worked on these in post for two days and got this result unless he just had no idea what he was doing. I know everyone's post processing preferences are different (and that's okay), but c'mon...

http://www.famsnap.com (external link)
5DMII | Canon 40 f/2.8 STM | Canon 84mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
500px (external link) | Flickr (external link)

cubatahavana
I still don't see it
Joined Jan 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Aug 24, 2017 17:10 |  #43

Colin Glover wrote in post #18435888 (external link)
Absolutely. The missus was going on about learning photography properly and she saw it on Groupon. Really enjoyed it, tutor was a lovely Irishwoman, as they're Dublin based. Easy to follow, live PowerPoint style webinars, and the chance to win €1000.00 every session you attend (never thought I'd ever need to use the Euro key lol). You'd like it. Search Shaw Acadamy free course, unless you've already joined.
Two days editing photos is a joke. I take 3-4 weeks of evenings for 3-500 images as I have a day job. That's a joke.

I'm in Dublin myself. I'll check it out!

My Flickr (external link)
My website (external link)
My instagram (external link)

George ­ Zip
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2015
Aug 26, 2017 10:04 |  #44

I'm late to this party. But I would like to have a look as well. I'm intrigued

thc1979
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 27, 2017 12:26 as a reply to George Zip's post |  #45

Online : https://www.dropbox.co​m ...FR9zfFSZuuD2yOLCoV-a?dl=0 (external link)

Download: https://www.dropbox.co​m ...FR9zfFSZuuD2yOLCoV-a?dl=1 (external link)

sponsored links

3,250 views & 11 likes for this thread
Wedding Photos Feedback
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.