Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands
Thread started 22 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 15:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

buying used pro gear

drjitesh
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 22, 2017 15:17 |  #1

I m a noob, but want to jump from my little SL-1 to a full frame. Is it worth saving the money and buying used equipment (cameras or lenses) through amazon, any horror stories on here?

sponsored links
Jethr0
Joined Aug 2012
ON, Canada
Aug 22, 2017 16:28 |  #2

I have had great luck buying used locally. Inspecting and testing the gear yourself is critical.

7DMKII/Sigma 10-20/Sigma 24-70 2.8/Sigma 70-200 2.8/Sigma 150-600
www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.​com/jefflowe.ca (external link)

PhotosGuy
74,717 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 22, 2017 16:50 |  #3

Pro gear is usually well used & often abused. IMO you'd be better off buying from one of the gearheads here that update every time something new comes out.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 22, 2017 16:58 |  #4

drjitesh wrote in post #18434277 (external link)
I m a noob, but want to jump from my little SL-1 to a full frame. Is it worth saving the money and buying used equipment (cameras or lenses) through amazon, any horror stories on here?

Totally worth it. I've puchased one new camera ever, the rest have all been used. If you're buying from a reputable market like here on POTN or FM, and they have any feedback worth a hoot, you will get a fully working camera for a lot less (and other gear for that matter).

I take it to the next level and I buy old 10+ year old equipment. Stuff that cannot be repaired or serviced really anymore. I've never gotten a dud. Any time anything has ever not been exactly as stated, the sellers are always good about making things right.

If you're wanting to do it on a dime, take a look at a good old 5D classic or 1Ds Mark II or 1Ds (first version), they're great old full frames that work great and will give you something to work and learn on for very little. If you want to go newer, look for a used 6D. You can find a 5D2 used, but I would get a 6D instead at the same price under virtually any circumstance.

Used lets you go very far in the gear side of photography. I don't buy hardly anything new. All my lenses except for 1 are all used too.

The key to used gear is to get it again from reputable sellers here and focus on overall shape and use. A lot of people sell their backup gear in cycles and the upgrade-heads often have to sell their stuff to upgrade every release, those are the ones to buy from as the gear is virtually new likely still. Just focus on paying attention to the age, shape, shutter count, overall wear and tear, etc, and take a look at the seller's feedback in the feedback thread and look for the seller's posts that may have been made with the equipment (pictures) as it will tell you what they were doing with it and give you insight as to whether its worth your time.

I'm currently shooting with a 1Ds Mark II that I got for $400 here on this forum (POTN). 16Mp, plenty of resolution, love the old raw files, great 1D series AF system, great build, clean files. I use a 5D classic as my 2nd camera (used to shoot two of them until I got this 1Ds II which I hunted for a while!). Love the old 1D series. They're so cheap now and still so wonderfully relevant and effective on a dime!

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 22, 2017 17:14 |  #5

Used Pro lenses? Definitely! There is no way I could have entertained owning a Canon 300 F2.8 L IS and a Canon 800 F.6 L IS new!

Don't know which FF camera you are thinking of but a heavily used Canon 1 series camera has more (Design) life left in it than a brand new lesser model.

Just food for thought.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

raptor3x
Joined Aug 2011
Rutland, VT
Aug 22, 2017 19:07 |  #6

drjitesh wrote in post #18434277 (external link)

I'd look at buying either from the F/S forum here or over on FM as well as from Amazon. You can get some great deals from the Amazon used listings, I just recently scored an Olympus SHG 150mm f/2 brand new for ~$1300 there.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii, Pen-F Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 17 1.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, µ.Z 300 4.0

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
9,756 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2012
Bowie, MD
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by EverydayGetaway. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 22, 2017 19:40 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18434344 (external link)
Pro gear is usually well used & often abused. IMO you'd be better off buying from one of the gearheads here that update every time something new comes out.

Being a "pro" camera doesn't mean it's been used by a pro though, Amazon gives a description of the items condition and in my experience, they're usually pretty accurate. As long as the item is fulfilled by Amazon there's really very little concern since the return process is so easy.

Also, to the OP; you said you're a newbie, but want to upgrade your body. Do you have a reason why you want to upgrade?

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 22, 2017 20:34 |  #8

i'd look at refurbished canon stuff as well...a lot of times with some discounts the prices are right near used...especially on some bodies

not sure what lenses you have for your SL1, but making the jump to FF camera usually is best done after having a decent set of FF compatible lenses, or at least the budget to buy some...or you could buy a super cheap FF, and cheap lenses...

you can get great advice here by sharing more information about what you're thinking of doing...sometimes FF jumps aren't the way to go...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 09:37 as a reply to EverydayGetaway's post |  #9

Thanks ! looking to upgrade since i offered to shoot a wedding and a meternity shoot for my friends (as a gift) but the focus on SL-1 is inaccurate a lot of times (i bought it refurb ??) and low light performance isnt the best. I used to have a Tamron 24 to 70 f2.8 lens and loved it (till my brother dropped it and repair was 200$ !) I lll still keep the SL-1 and the 35 mm STM prime (lightest walk around fully functional DSLR IMO, great for travel)

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 09:39 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #10

SL-1 is inaccurate a lot of times (i bought it refurb ??) and low light performance isnt the best. I used to have a Tamron 24 to 70 f2.8 lens (used 289$) and loved it (till my brother dropped it and repair was 200$ !) I lll still keep the SL-1 and the 35 mm STM prime (lightest walk around fully functional DSLR IMO, great for travel)
Thanks for the advice, I ll be posting a lot more for feedback, this is such a great place.

DreDaze
17,690 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 23, 2017 09:39 |  #11

drjitesh wrote in post #18434837 (external link)
Thanks ! looking to upgrade since i offered to shoot a wedding and a meternity shoot for my friends (as a gift) but the focus on SL-1 is inaccurate a lot of times (i bought it refurb ??) and low light performance isnt the best. I used to have a Tamron 24 to 70 f2.8 lens and loved it (till my brother dropped it and repair was 200$ !) I lll still keep the SL-1 and the 35 mm STM prime (lightest walk around fully functional DSLR IMO, great for travel)

So what other lenses do you have?

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 09:42 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #12

a 35 mm prime, 50 mm 1.8 prime, kit 17 to 55 and 55 to 250. all canon

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 09:59 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #13

thanks!

DreDaze
17,690 posts
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Aug 23, 2017 14:24 |  #14

drjitesh wrote in post #18434845 (external link)
a 35 mm prime, 50 mm 1.8 prime, kit 17 to 55 and 55 to 250. all canon

Is it the 35mm stm? If so, only one of your current lenses would work on a FF camera, the 50mm

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 14:33 as a reply to DreDaze's post |  #15

naah, both are EF-S, i broke the one which would have, FML

sponsored links

1,517 views & 18 likes for this thread
buying used pro gear
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.