Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers
Thread started 23 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 05:01
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Monitor and calibrator upgrading

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,670 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Nov 03, 2017 00:34 |  #16

Also, i want to get a new calibration device, i do have Spyder3St and Spyder4El, they are old generations now, what would be a better upgrade, X-Rite or another Datacolor Spyder? and if i will go with X-Rite then which one?

I will try to sell both of my Spyder calibration so i can have good money to buy another one, wish if i can sell them both for nearly $200, but i can't build a big hope, just i have to wait and see once i offer them for sale, and look for replacement.

I do see many calibrations coming with bonus stuff, are they really necessary? i need used that printer profiler or calibration, and i also bought Passport color checker, so some X-Rite calibration adding those for little more cost, i also have many color checkers and gray cards, should i just buy a monitor calibration alone without extras if i have them or won't use them more often?

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/external link
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 03, 2017 18:45 |  #17

Tareq wrote in post #18487430 (external link)
My TV has VGA port, does this support 4K or even that ACD native resolution of 2560x1600 if i bought a right cable?

No, VGA is an anolog video technology that at best is 1920x1080 (DVI is digital, and often times is considered to have sharper text). As for what resolution you can output to from your computer: that can be limited to what your computer supports. I suspected your older Mac wouldn't be able to fully output UHD resolutions (it's just too new of a standard). As for your other post about calibrators...what's limiting about the Spider 4? I have a X-rite Color Monki that works well, but would only consider upgrading if I found it wasn't working.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,670 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Nov 03, 2017 19:13 |  #18

davesrose wrote in post #18487952 (external link)
No, VGA is an anolog video technology that at best is 1920x1080 (DVI is digital, and often times is considered to have sharper text). As for what resolution you can output to from your computer: that can be limited to what your computer supports. I suspected your older Mac wouldn't be able to fully output UHD resolutions (it's just too new of a standard). As for your other post about calibrators...what's limiting about the Spider 4? I have a X-rite Color Monki that works well, but would only consider upgrading if I found it wasn't working.

Fair enough, i shouldn't think more about it, but as i said, the important point is that i should look for monitor that is large enough for me regardless what resolution it is, for long time i used to that ACD so i think i can get used to something better with new monitor as long it has good gamut and color quality.

I have to test my Spyder 4 again, my Spyder 3 stopped working once i updated my computers, and i didn't calibrate my Mac since long time with Spyder 4, so maybe it is still working, or maybe new OS is no longer compatible with Spyder 4, that is why they have newer version then, but i feel that X-Rite is better than Spyder versions somehow, from different reviews i see the edge going to X-Rite, but they choose i1 Display over Color Munki, and that what i was planning to get.

Until now i didn't decide on which monitor of that larger size than 30", i can't just look at their specifications and choose one, in some point i want NEC but it is very pricey, then Dell is most rated, and then BenQ as another good option for monitor, ASUS and Samsung have mixed reviews or feeling, good i tested my Mac Mini on my TV and found out that settings need to be changed, just color quality wasn't right on TV, monitor should be, but i don't know if i can calibrate my TV with calibration device too, when i use PC windows it is just right and i don't need to change things, while when i connect to Mac it is different, i only want new monitor for Mac not Windows desktop.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

davesrose
Goldmember
2,869 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nov 03, 2017 20:06 as a reply to Tareq's post |  #19

As previously discussed, the cheapest 30" displays are probably inferior to your ACD. Apart from Dell, the BenQ SW2700PT 27" is something to consider: it has a lot of features geared for photo editing. For something cheaper, the Asus PB328Q 32" seems to offer good display specs.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Tareq
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,670 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Ajman - UAE
Nov 03, 2017 22:46 |  #20

davesrose wrote in post #18487999 (external link)
As previously discussed, the cheapest 30" displays are probably inferior to your ACD. Apart from Dell, the BenQ SW2700PT 27" is something to consider: it has a lot of features geared for photo editing. For something cheaper, the Asus PB328Q 32" seems to offer good display specs.

Ok, thank you very much!

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebookexternal link

1,267 views & 1 like for this thread
Monitor and calibrator upgrading
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.