Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 23 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 08:19
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Crash Plan changes course - Going Enterprise only, no personal backup

ThreeHounds
Joined Mar 2014
Delray Beach, Fl USA
Aug 23, 2017 08:19 |  #1

https://fstoppers.com ...t-jumps-enterprise-193149 (external link)

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
24-105 f/4 L | 17-40 f/4 L | 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
Joined Sep 2008
Dorset - England
Post has been edited 1 month ago by NinetyEight.
Aug 23, 2017 08:36 |  #2

I got an email yesterday - There will still be 'personal' backup, all you have to do is you sign-up to the small business plan. But it will cost you more than the current home plan.
If you do migrate you won't lose any files already backed-up, and things will (allegedly) just carry on as before (but at previously mentioned extra cost!)

Kev

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
Arizona
Aug 23, 2017 15:34 |  #3

This (and many other examples) is precisely why I don't do "cloud" anything. Only trust myself for my stuff.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
13,462 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 23, 2017 18:39 |  #4

KeithS wrote in post #18435187 (external link)
This (and many other examples) is precisely why I don't do "cloud" anything. Only trust myself for my stuff.

+1 I have a brother and mother, I can setup a NAS and DNS service, and I'm good. My mom is my current cloud, using an old and inexpensive NAS going on 6+ years now.

There are big guys like amazon, but even then, they can end up monopolizing and upping rates, they have already raised rates on prime a few years back, they can do it again.

Sony A7r - A7ii - A7rii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CY 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Aug 24, 2017 00:52 |  #5

sucks, I have my own backups, but liked the idea of having things spread over professional data centers, not my own setups. I'll set up something better (and more expensive) with my own RAID of some sort and will go back to the old-fashioned external HDs stored in other locations. I might go with an other online solution again, probably BackBlaze, but nothing guarantees they'll be around tomorrow either. And uploading my TB of data will take months. I know many non pro photographers that use CrashPlan, all scrambling for solutions now. Back in the day I liked that CrashPlan offered to send me a 1TB (I think it was) drive that I could fill and send back as a seeder, days later everything was on their servers. I don't know of any other service that does that now. Cost extra, I think $100, but was worth it and worked very well.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Aug 24, 2017 10:20 |  #6

phantelope wrote in post #18435585 (external link)
sucks, I have my own backups, but liked the idea of having things spread over professional data centers, not my own setups. I'll set up something better (and more expensive) with my own RAID of some sort and will go back to the old-fashioned external HDs stored in other locations. I might go with an other online solution again, probably BackBlaze, but nothing guarantees they'll be around tomorrow either. And uploading my TB of data will take months. I know many non pro photographers that use CrashPlan, all scrambling for solutions now. Back in the day I liked that CrashPlan offered to send me a 1TB (I think it was) drive that I could fill and send back as a seeder, days later everything was on their servers. I don't know of any other service that does that now. Cost extra, I think $100, but was worth it and worked very well.

IDrive and Backblaze both offer seed drives. Backblaze is quite expensive, although if you need to restore your data they will overnight an HD with your data for free, as long as you ship the drive back within a month. IDrive allows you to use their seed service for free (once a year) and they also have a restore service where they send you a HD with your data.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

phantelope
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2008
NorCal
Aug 24, 2017 13:13 as a reply to Bcaps's post |  #7

thanks, I had not heard of IDrive, will check them out! The eternity of uploading at residential speed is what irks me the most.

40D, 5D3, a bunch of lenses and other things :cool:

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,087 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 24, 2017 14:27 |  #8

At this point I think two NAS raid devices setup at the same time and then have one at source and other at parents house and cloud sync them together is the best bet. Now to see if some of these NAS drives have versioning.

I manage 38 computers at our jobsite as one of my side responsibilities and I have wireless networks being broadcasted over a mile in some locations but they all tie back to our main trailer and we use a 4 bay Qnap w/ 4 512gb SSD drives as our data drive that we all work off of. I have it setup for RAID 5 and it's a beast that never gives up over the past 3 years on this project.

I have everyone mapped to it and everyone is required to use it instead of their own computers for all of their file creation and such. So I can do this easily. Yup Just checked they do:

https://www.qnap.com ...ta-with-backup-versioning (external link)

So at this point I'll probably lean away from backblaze and manage this myself.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Bcaps
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Aug 24, 2017 14:55 as a reply to Talley's post |  #9

It looks like for versioning on the QNAP (I have a couple myself) it uses RTRR and not rsync. My understanding is that with rsync you have block level backup vs. file level backup with RTRR. So, if in a large file (say a 4GB TIFF) you make an adjustment, with rsync only the changed blocks will be copied over but with RTRR the whole file will be copied.

Nikon D810

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 24, 2017 14:55 |  #10

I have an article on backups (external link), along with a small review of online backup providers (external link) and a few other things.

Many people are saying "use BackBlaze". It's a great service, but version history is only 30 days. That's enough if you lose a drive or get hit by a virus, but it's not enough if you want to protect against data loss. There are probably dozens of online backup providers - my father in law uses Norton Online Backup, which does versions, but is rather expensive for large amounts of data.

Most people probably need backup software on their PC that does incremental backups. That gives you a full version history of your files and long term protection against things like "oh I accidentally needed a file I needed 6 months ago". You can store the repository this software creates on BackBlaze to effectively give you full version history.

My Recommendation
Instead of using BackBlaze or similar you can use Arq Backup (external link) or Cloudberry Backup (external link) (my choice) as a single backup product. It can backup your files to anywhere you like, including:

• Internal disks
  • External disks (for offsite backup)
  • Various cloud providers - Amazon S3, Backblaze B2, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc

The products have different advantages and disadvantages. Read my reviews above to find out what they are, so I don't have to retype them.

I use CloudBerry to backup to an internal disk, to two external disks, to AWS S3, and to BackBlaze B2. Some of my backups are incremental, encrypted, some are plain backups. For example my backups to S3 are just a sync, but I rely on S3 to keep a version history and do encryption, which on my external disks I use CloudBerry versions and encryption - that reduces my risk of vendor lock in.

I also have medium resolution jpeg files and all my documents stored on Amazon Glacier (external link) - a difficult to use but super super reliable and low priced archiving solution. I use S3 Explorer (external link) for Glacier.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Post has been edited 1 month ago by drmaxx.
Aug 24, 2017 15:37 |  #11

phantelope wrote in post #18435585 (external link)
I know many non pro photographers that use CrashPlan, all scrambling for solutions now.

I was one of the lucky ones that were hit just 2 days after signing up for an annual plan! After the first frustration and the refusal of crashplan to cancel my plan and refund my fee - I am looking again at the options. There is no reason to scramble! You can switch over to the small business plan right now (migration is indeed easy) and they give you two additional months and an additional year for 30 US$. Not a bad deal (= 41 US$ per year for 1.2 TB of data - by far the cheapest option right now) that gives you plenty of time to figure out a new plan and in two years the world looks completely different.

Donate if you love POTN

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,087 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 24, 2017 16:21 |  #12

Well backblaze doesn't do versioning but I only pay $50/yr and I have over 4TB of data backed up.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Aug 24, 2017 16:42 |  #13

Talley wrote in post #18436122 (external link)
Well backblaze doesn't do versioning but I only pay $50/yr and I have over 4TB of data backed up.

Use Windows 10 file history (external link), and back up the location is stores things to BB. That way BB gives you full version history.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Aug 24, 2017 16:44 |  #14

Bcaps wrote in post #18435828 (external link)
IDrive and Backblaze both offer seed drives. Backblaze is quite expensive, although if you need to restore your data they will overnight an HD with your data for free, as long as you ship the drive back within a month. IDrive allows you to use their seed service for free (once a year) and they also have a restore service where they send you a HD with your data.

Backblaze doesn't do a seed drive for their consumer products that i've been able to identify, unfortunately.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

Bcaps
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Aug 24, 2017 17:07 |  #15

Colorblinded wrote in post #18436128 (external link)
Backblaze doesn't do a seed drive for their consumer products that i've been able to identify, unfortunately.

I believe it is only for their B2 plans.

Nikon D810

sponsored links

1,153 views & 5 likes for this thread
Crash Plan changes course - Going Enterprise only, no personal backup
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.