Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People
Thread started 23 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 09:52
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Critique requested

drjitesh
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 09:52 |  #1

Total noob.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Aug 23, 2017 10:13 |  #2

drjitesh wrote in post #18434861 (external link)
is it time to upgrade gear?

Why do you ask? Is your current camera not capable?

Other than the fact that one of the above pictures was taken with a telephone.......but you have an upgrade from that. ;-)a

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,042 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by Wilt. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 23, 2017 10:25 |  #3

saea501 wrote in post #18434881 (external link)
Why do you ask? Is your current camera not capable?

Other than the fact that one of the above pictures was taken with a telephone.......but you have an upgrade from that. ;-)a

He needs an upgrade from his iPhone5 to an iPhone8 (or to iPhone7, if he wants to save a few bucks)...but I don't know if iPhone has a leveling display.
...or a new model camera with the Level display in the viewfinder,
to fix that crooked horizon seen in 3 of 4 posted images!

:p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 10:30 |  #4

:eek::eek::eek:
that was the test shot from iphone, i did upgrade the phone lol!

i am debating upgrading my SL-1 due to poor low loght performance. but wondering if shold go ahead with it.

Wilt
39,042 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 23, 2017 10:47 |  #5

Well, your SL1 is 4 year old technology, and the T7i is newer but DPReview.com did not give it a glowing report (...not bad, just not glowing!) https://www.dpreview.c​om ...anon-eos-rebel-t7i-800d/3 (external link)
and the SL2 is not yet tested, yet they write more favorably about the 77D "Canon EOS 77D puts up performance in our test scene that is all but identical to the higher-priced EOS 80D"

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 11:33 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #6

how about a FF, i am toying with the idea, since SL-1 still has a good market value, i could afford a used 6d

Wilt
39,042 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 23, 2017 11:52 |  #7

Nothing wrong with a 6D...lotsa folks seem to look down on the 6DII simply because it is not 'higher pixel count with even lower noise than 6D', while overlooking the fact that 6DII does have a number of 'improvements' in features and capabilities over the 6D.

But WHY are you so 'driven' to FF? Can you articulate any ways in which APS-C format fails to accomplish what you want?

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 23, 2017 11:57 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #8

to be honest, i havent used any other APSC except SL-1, and the autofocus and low light performance isnt the best. )though for travel, its the smallest SLR combo with the pancake lens, which i love) add to that the wider range of lenses and the fact i could afford a FF now, i thought that may be better. I have toyed with SL-1 enough to understand the controls well. thoughts?

Wilt
39,042 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Wilt.
Aug 23, 2017 12:11 |  #9

drjitesh wrote in post #18434976 (external link)
to be honest, i havent used any other APSC except SL-1, and the autofocus and low light performance isnt the best. )though for travel, its the smallest SLR combo with the pancake lens, which i love) add to that the wider range of lenses and the fact i could afford a FF now, i thought that may be better. I have toyed with SL-1 enough to understand the controls well. thoughts?

So you simply want 'better AF' and 'better low light' performance.
The SL1 AF will function down to 0.5EV light levels (center); some current bodies now AF down to -3EV. The SL2 is NO BETTER than the SL1 with regard to sensitivity.
Upgrading from the SLn would seem to be an improvement in low light performance in the newer bodies (5DIV, 80D, 77D)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,068 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 23, 2017 16:56 |  #10

Forget the body upgrade. Forget the presets you were also asking about. Learn, practice, and get good with your gear. You're still at snapshot level. Keep shooting. Look at and study others work, even try to replicate it. Spend a few bucks on a speedlight or 2, some modifiers, and triggers and learn how to shoot under different conditions. Learn how to systematically use your equipment to pull off your concepts. At this point you will have a much better idea of what you want/need instead of just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Aug 23, 2017 17:27 |  #11

texkam wrote in post #18435253 (external link)
Forget the body upgrade. Forget the presets you were also asking about. Learn, practice, and get good with your gear. You're still at snapshot level. Keep shooting. Look at and study others work, even try to replicate it. Spend a few bucks on a speedlight or 2, some modifiers, and triggers and learn how to shoot under different conditions. Learn how to systematically use your equipment to pull off your concepts. At this point you will have a much better idea of what you want/need instead of just throwing stuff against the wall to see what sticks.

Agreed. It's not the camera that's taking the photographs.

If you dig around a little, you will find photographers who are making astonishing images with just the SL1.

The camera isn't holding you back.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 23, 2017 18:32 |  #12

I own an SL1 and 6D.

The 6D noise is dramatically less than the SL1, probably 3 stops difference. That said, unless one is doing massive enlargements or very heavy crops, the SL1 is very capable. If you are shooting over 1600 often, and/or pulling shadows up, a move to 6D would provide some benefits.

IMO, a big reason to make the move to FF is to make use of fast lenses to get shallower DOF.

I would not consider any of the T series cameras worth an upgrade. The very latest sensor in the 80D might be worth sticking with a crop camera.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
Joined Nov 2016
Abuja Nigeria
Aug 23, 2017 19:34 as a reply to Left Handed Brisket's post |  #13

Shot in low light with the SL1. I don't think it coped too badly. Up to ISO 3200, I think any noise will be well controlled and easily manageable.

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from DaviSto's gallery.

drjitesh
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 25, 2017 09:58 as a reply to DaviSto's post |  #14

i ll play the devils advocate though, dont Y'all think if someone with a certain skill level (and with a working knowledge of how the camera works/ physics of light) uses a FF over an entry level SLR< picture quality will be better with the FF (considering same lens, flash and other conditions) and ofcourse, money not playing a role. By no way in mean i am good at it, but if i have to practice, then wouldnt it be better with a better camera? ?:evil:

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,068 posts
Joined Mar 2012
By The Lake in Big D
Aug 25, 2017 10:38 |  #15

Yes.

But to the degree that it will change things that much for the money spent, no. Sounds like you want a FF. Get a FF. It will improve your level of potential as it relates to picture taking. Just don't expect it to make a vast difference in your level of picture making.

sponsored links

1,090 views & 7 likes for this thread
Critique requested
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.