Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support
Thread started 24 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 16:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Confused about QR plates for my new Kirk BH-1 Ball head

pressureworld
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Atlanta, GA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by pressureworld.
Aug 24, 2017 16:15 |  #1

I just bought a Feisol CT3442 and Kirk BH-1 Ball head, but I'm confused about the quick release plates for the head. I have a Hasselblad 501c, Pentax 67, and a 5D MKII.

Should I stick with known companies for QR plates? (Acratech) How about the Chinese plates from eBay?
What is everyone using?

This is my first ball head so any help would be appreciated.

Hasselblad 501, Leica M6, Pentax 67II

sponsored links
CheleA
Joined Jul 2014
Aug 24, 2017 17:37 |  #2

I have bought several knock-offs, plates and clamps, from Ebay for my Arca Swiss setup. The last one I bought was an L bracket for my 6D and it fit like a glove, I think it cost me $15 - shipping included. I used to be a CNC programmer(machinist) in a former life and was very impressed with the fit and finish. Some people have mentioned that the anodizing(black coating) is not as good as the name brands. I have not issue with scratches!

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,018 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Wilt.
Aug 24, 2017 17:57 |  #3

Generally speaking the use of a twist-knob QR clamp is more 'forgiving' of brand-to-brand variances in the actual dimensions of the QR plate which are known to exist.

If you have a lever-lock QR clamp, there can be some incompatbility of using one brand of clamp with different brands of plates, when the QR lever clamp has no adjustability in its design.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sawsedge
Joined Dec 2011
United States
Post has been edited 1 month ago by sawsedge.
Aug 24, 2017 21:22 |  #4

If you have the stock screw clamp that comes with the BH-1, then any A-S compatible plate should fit fine. My various Kirk plates have quite a bit of variation and the screw clamp held each very tightly.

- John

pressureworld
THREAD ­ STARTER
221 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Atlanta, GA
Aug 25, 2017 06:22 |  #5

I'm grateful for the advice. I bought everything then panicked a little when I realized I needed more plates. I now see so many it's almost overwhelming, and plan to pick up a few later today.

Hasselblad 501, Leica M6, Pentax 67II

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,682 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010
Wales
Aug 25, 2017 18:01 |  #6

Kiwifotos plates (E Bay) are very good and appear to be copies of Kirk plates.

I have a few and they work perfectly on a wide variety or Arca style QR clamps so long as the clamp has a screw type lock.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

409 views & 3 likes for this thread
Confused about QR plates for my new Kirk BH-1 Ball head
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.