Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 25 Aug 2017 (Friday) 11:53
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Light meter apps for iPhone?

kat.hayes
122 posts
Joined Mar 2012
Aug 25, 2017 11:53 |  #1

Does anyone have any idea how accurate light meter apps for iPhones are? Anyone have any recommendations for a good one?

Thanks.

sponsored links
Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 25 days ago by Angmo.
Aug 25, 2017 12:28 |  #2

kat.hayes wrote in post #18436670 (external link)
Does anyone have any idea how accurate light meter apps for iPhones are? Anyone have any recommendations for a good one?

Thanks.

I've got one, and a few Sekonic meters. Will test this weekend and report.

Usual. Shade, full sun, indoors.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms

F2Bthere
674 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Aug 26, 2017 00:41 |  #3

A few points to consider:

They will only measure continuous light, not flash.

Unless you buy a dome device, they are measuring reflected, not incident light.

The meter in any modern camera can measure reflected light already, so a meter in your phone won't benefit you much, unless you are doing something like using an old film camera.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Post has been edited 24 days ago by Angmo.
Aug 26, 2017 00:50 |  #4

F2Bthere wrote in post #18437187 (external link)
A few points to consider:

They will only measure continuous light, not flash.

Unless you buy a dome device, they are measuring reflected, not incident light.

The meter in any modern camera can measure reflected light already, so a meter in your phone won't benefit you much, unless you are doing something like using an old film camera.

Well, the question was accuracy comparisons. Ambient Light is the test.

F2Bthere
674 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Aug 26, 2017 14:13 |  #5

kat.hayes wrote in post #18436670 (external link)

The first question was accuracy. The second question was about a "good one." :)

Often, when we are looking into gear, we lack a context for how it is used or useful. We often think a piece of gear will solve a problem for us. Sometimes we are right. Sometimes not. It often helps to know more.

I remember going to camera stores with my father when I was a kid. In the better stores, there would be old guys standing around who had been into photography for decades. Whenever an interesting question came up, they would mull it over, offer suggestions and often teach the person a bit more about the subject, helping the querent to better understand the issue or learn a hard-won technique.

At their best, photo forums function like these old guys (except now we have some women in the ranks and we are not all quite as old). :)

If a person is using a film camera which lacks a meter (or for which batteries are unavailable or expensive) or.... then the phone as meter makes sense.

Alternative two is to purchase an external dome device, which can extend the metering capability of the phone. Here is one example:

https://lu.mu/ (external link)

This is $299. It appears to add color metering as well as typical flash meter abilities. I have no experience with it. The feature list is strong, but you can also buy a professional meter for that kind of money.

Alternative three is that a person wants to "learn light" and play a game to guess exposure and check it. This was more a film days practice, but perhaps...

There are, no doubt, options I have not thought of.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Aug 28, 2017 20:29 |  #6

F2Bthere wrote in post #18437624 (external link)
The first question was accuracy. The second question was about a "good one." :)

Often, when we are looking into gear, we lack a context for how it is used or useful. We often think a piece of gear will solve a problem for us. Sometimes we are right. Sometimes not. It often helps to know more.

I remember going to camera stores with my father when I was a kid. In the better stores, there would be old guys standing around who had been into photography for decades. Whenever an interesting question came up, they would mull it over, offer suggestions and often teach the person a bit more about the subject, helping the querent to better understand the issue or learn a hard-won technique.

At their best, photo forums function like these old guys (except now we have some women in the ranks and we are not all quite as old). :)

If a person is using a film camera which lacks a meter (or for which batteries are unavailable or expensive) or.... then the phone as meter makes sense.

Alternative two is to purchase an external dome device, which can extend the metering capability of the phone. Here is one example:

https://lu.mu/ (external link)

This is $299. It appears to add color metering as well as typical flash meter abilities. I have no experience with it. The feature list is strong, but you can also buy a professional meter for that kind of money.

Alternative three is that a person wants to "learn light" and play a game to guess exposure and check it. This was more a film days practice, but perhaps...

There are, no doubt, options I have not thought of.

Yep. I leaned a lot going to medium format. 12 shots a roll. Slow down, compose and don't waste. Meter, see the light and control it. No such thing as shot gunning in MF. You simply cannot spray and pray your shots.

PhotosGuy
74,606 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Aug 28, 2017 21:36 |  #7

Turn your iPhone into a pro-quality light meter with Luxi (external link) $24.95?

Why use a light meter when you have one in camera?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

Angmo
Joined Dec 2015
AZ-USA
Aug 28, 2017 23:52 |  #8

'Cause the meter in my kamera can't read my mind. :-)

PhotosGuy
74,606 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 08, 2017 18:40 |  #9

Angmo wrote in post #18439756 (external link)
'Cause the meter in my kamera can't read my mind. :-)

The meter in your iPhone won't be any smarter than the one in your camera. ; ) Try this: Need an exposure crutch?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

1,207 views & 6 likes for this thread
Light meter apps for iPhone?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.