Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 25 Aug 2017 (Friday) 13:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

thinking of returning my 6D mk1

ericz34
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 25, 2017 13:40 |  #1

I recently purchased a 6Dmk1, and although I love the IQ, Im not so sure I love the AF and especially not the AF points. they're extremely clustered in the center. It isn't a HUGE deal because I mainly shoot landscapes and astro photography (which its been great for). But I do from time to time enjoy getting some street photography, shooting events and just things with people in them. I find the focus points to be really clustered in, and I tend to miss a shot because people move around. The center point is great, but then it screws my composition if I shoot everyone dead center and even if I use the edge af points, they're still pretty centered.

I had, and still have, my t6i and I thought the af on that thing was better than the 6D. I don't want to lug around 2 bodies for 2 separate things, but I also can't afford a 5dmk4. I've heard of people using the 6D for weddings which seem pretty demanding, so im sure it's partially user error. I knew it wasn't the fastest camera going into it, but I also can't help but feel a bit underwhelmed.

Any suggestions? I wouldn't mind keeping it, just as much as I wouldn't mind selling it for a different cannon body or just jumping ship to a completely different brand. The nikon d610 seems to be in the same class as the 6D, not sure what else may be in the same "entry level FF" line ups.

Thanks in advance!

sponsored links
yellowt2
185 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Aug 25, 2017 15:48 |  #2

I haven't used a 6D, but the consensus seems to be if you're a center point AF shooter then you'll love it, if you want to use more than the center AF point then you'll hate it. The outer AF points and AF point spread is definitely the camera's weak point.

ericz34
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 25, 2017 16:11 as a reply to yellowt2's post |  #3

Yeah, I'm just having a hard time with outer af points because they're so close to the center. So if someone is walking toward me I don't know how to focus and recompose in the top right corner per say, because they're isn't any af points far up there to get their face in focus.. should I just stop down to something like f5+ and focus on some other body part, and hope they're face is in focus?

I guess I'd love a FF mirrorless option because they have af points spread out everywhere.. but financially they're just so expensive I don't think that's a feasible option for me at the moment.

Any opinions?

ericz34
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 25, 2017 19:43 |  #4

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Aug 25, 2017 22:35 |  #5

I've had my 6D since it first came out, coming up on 5 years, IIRC. The short answer is, if you can use it for center-point focus, it is a fantastically capable camera. Some users even use it for sports/athletics/actio​n. I couldn't get it to keep up with 6 year old children trying to play football. My guess is that your T6i has all-around better AF than the 6D. I know my 60D was better, and it only had 9 points. If you shoot AI-Servo at moving targets, the 6D presents a challenge. I love my 6D, and it will take a serious upgrade (not 6D2) to get me to move on. That said, I have a second camera (80D) for when I need AF that can track a subject on the playing field.

If you are keeping the T6i, keep the 6D. If the 6D is going to be your only camera, you WILL be a center-point shooter.

Tom

ericz34
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Aug 26, 2017 17:18 as a reply to Bassat's post |  #6

Thankfully I typically shoot on one-shot, and rarely is anything ever moving fast. I think I'll be keeping it and give it a chance or figure out how to work around it's weaknesses. My biggest gripe is how clustered the af points are. They're basically in the center. Although it's rare, Some of the street photography I shoot is typically right after the sun sets, when it's dark but not pitch black yet.. so we'll see how it goes!

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 27, 2017 02:22 |  #7

It's more reliable to focus and recompose rather than using the outer focus points on the 6D.

Your probably better off looking for a low mileage 5dmk3. This body would provide you accurate outer focus points, fast AF, acceptable fps and good high iso capabilities. Dynamic range is OK for the generation of this sensor at the time although Nikon was definitely better.

If your now critical on shooting mutiple bodies it may be an idea to sell both T6i and 6D and purchase a more universal use body. The 5dmk3 is still available new at some camera shops even though it's discontinued.

If you don't mind letting go of your Canon crop sensor you may consider going all full frame to maximize IQ.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

drmaxx
Joined Jul 2010
Aug 27, 2017 03:04 |  #8

Just an other perspective: I shoot a lot of 'candid' (not posed) pictures of people and get a long with the center point on the 6D really well. Much is how you are used to shoot - and how fast the action is around you.

Donate if you love POTN

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
6,280 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Bassat.
Aug 27, 2017 07:46 |  #9

AlanU wrote in post #18438070 (external link)
It's more reliable to focus and recompose rather than using the outer focus points on the 6D.

Your probably better off looking for a low mileage 5dmk3. This body would provide you accurate outer focus points, fast AF, acceptable fps and good high iso capabilities. Dynamic range is OK for the generation of this sensor at the time although Nikon was definitely better.

If your now critical on shooting mutiple bodies it may be an idea to sell both T6i and 6D and purchase a more universal use body. The 5dmk3 is still available new at some camera shops even though it's discontinued.

If you don't mind letting go of your Canon crop sensor you may consider going all full frame to maximize IQ.

1.) The 5D3 is still available from Canon. I assume that means it is NOT discontinued.
2.) There isn't much left to the argument that FF offers significantly better IQ than crop. That depends on which bodies you are comparing, and your subject matter. WRT IQ, the 5D had a lot to offer over the XTi. The 5D3 has just about nothing on the 80D/7D2/and newer crops.

Tom

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 27, 2017 07:49 |  #10

If you are shooting mostly Landscape and Astro what do you need AF points for?

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 27, 2017 07:56 |  #11

Learning BBF was key for my growth on the 6D. Try it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Aug 27, 2017 09:45 |  #12

Bassat wrote in post #18438170 (external link)
1.) The 5D3 is still available from Canon. I assume that means it is NOT discontinued.
2.) There isn't much left to the argument that FF offers significantly better IQ than crop. That depends on which bodies you are comparing, and your subject matter. WRT IQ, the 5D had a lot to offer over the XTi. The 5D3 has just about nothing on the 80D/7D2/and newer crops.

I was just at my local favourite camera store. I inquired about buying another 5dmk3. In their catalog it appears they no access to get from Canon Canada. This busy local shop doesn't have it listed in their website anymore either. I guess possibly it's the shops choice not to carry the body anymore due to age.

To say the 5dmk3 has nothing over the 80D or 7dm2 seems a bit unrealistic. Canon crop system has no native FOV 24mm f/1.4 glass or top tier level UWA options like 16-35mm f/2.8mk3 or even the 3rd party Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 VC lens. This is where my fuji has a 16mm f/1.4 (24mm fov) and very good stabilized 10-24mm f/4 UWA which suites me better than my 80D's IQ and lens limitation.

As you know I also own the 80D and I do visual comparisons all of the time. Indeed the 80D sensor is one of the most capable Canon crops ever made but it's still not equally on par with the 5d3 IMO. 5d3 is showing it's age to a degree but there is still enough dynamic range for me with aggressive post processing as long as I'm not messing up the exposure that badly. The 5d3 seems to have cleaner files than my 80D. Perhaps this has to do with mega pixel density of smaller real estate on a crop sensor vs larger spacing on a full frame.

I did end up liquidating some of my Canon gear to fund the purchase of my new 5dmk4. So far overall IQ seems to have had a jump over my previous 5dmk2 and secondary body 5d3. In the past in good light I was not able to tell the difference between the 5dmk2 or 5dmk3 image quality. The 5dmk4 definitely has a bump in better optics due to the increase in MP and newer tech over the 5d3.

Eric, if you jump to Nikon or even Sony there may be some pros and cons. This choice is very personal. Nikon full frame bodies do seem to have more features and better internal sony sensors over Canon. If I was not heavily invested in Canon I'd say Nikon is a system that listens to their customers when it comes to latest tech and features. Canon bean counters have serious wax in their ears LOL!!! I'd take a D610 or 6D anyday! In Canada the 5dmk4 price is basically the same price as the new introduction D850. I just bought a 5dmk4 and as I look at the Nikon D850 specs I'm simply shaking my head to Canon.

As I'm a Canon shooter the price of the 5dmk3 is much more reasonable now in the used market and offers a lot more (specs wise) overall to a 6D. Look at your application and choose your tool.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 27, 2017 10:46 |  #13

I'm not landscape and astro guy. I'm into people. Street and else. My suggestion is to get 50 Planar ZE lens and use it at f5.6, f8 for people shots. This lens has real DoF scale.
Once you get used to it, all AF problems will go away.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 27, 2017 15:37 |  #14

When it comes to low light AF the 6D has a full three stop advantage over the 5DIII or the 7DII. The 6D was as far as I know the first Canon body (outside possibly 1 series cameras) to have AF that is sensitive down to -3 EV (ISO 100), all of the rest until the 80D/5DIV came along are only good down to 0 EV. Just for reference 0 EV is 1s @ f/1 at the specified ISO value. So in useable exposure terms that gives you AF on the 6D at 60s @ f/2.8 ISO 100!

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2008
Knoxville, TN
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Lyndön.
Aug 27, 2017 17:43 |  #15

BigAl007 wrote in post #18438454 (external link)
When it comes to low light AF the 6D has a full three stop advantage over the 5DIII or the 7DII.
Alan

I'm pretty sure the 5D3 is -2EV and the 7D2 is -3EV, not 0EV.

(Yep, just checked my manuals... I own both)

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,204 views & 1 like for this thread
thinking of returning my 6D mk1
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.