Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera
Thread started 25 Aug 2017 (Friday) 23:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Help... 6D or 5DIII or 7DII

Mtk
135 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Montauk, NY
Aug 25, 2017 23:07 |  #1

Good evening everyone,

I would like everyones opinion on helping me select my next body but first a little background. I have been shooting my 7DI for a long time. I always liked wild life and bird photography so the 7D usually had a 100-400 on it. After a while I found myself wanting to shoot more landscape and astro photography but the 7d was not a great body for either. So now we come up to my question. Would you go with a 6D, 5DIII or a 7DII. While flipping through everyones photos I always seem to be drawn to images created with a 6D or now more often a 5DIV (out of my budget I think). The images from these bodies just seem to just have something about them. I am thinking of also getting the 24-105L to bring my lens line up to a canon 100-400, Canon 100 2.8 and a canon 10-22 (not useable with 6d or 5d). My thoughts are I can still use my 7d for birds and such if I was to go with the 6D and or possibly 5dIII (not sure what is a better set up for fast moving wild life and birds) or 7DII and compromise on IQ when it comes to landscapes and astro. I know this is very subjective but would love to here everyones thoughts.

Thank You in advance

Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 F4/5.6 ISL Canon EF-S- 10-22

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Nogo.
Aug 26, 2017 00:51 |  #2

5DIV (out of my budget I think).

The "I think" says it all. No matter which route you go, you will regret not getting the 5d4...

So, if you just can't justify the 5d4 buy a used 6d or 5d3. Now that the new bodies are out and the used market has taken the big hits you should be able to buy either one at a low enough price that you will be able to sell the used 5d3 or 6d for only a little or no loss if you decide you just have to have the 5d4. ;-)a

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,623 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 26, 2017 01:23 |  #3

7D2, Amazing AF, best for fast action, wildlife etc..
6D great IQ, a bit slow. best for landscapes, portraits, events etc.

Based on what you say above, the one you should get;

5D3: combines the best of both into one camera, positively the best compromise between the two above in features and performance. If you can't manage a 5D4,. which beats them all in every category, then the 5D3 is your next runner up.

If you get a 6D you will miss the 7Ds AF and speed when shooting anything action oriented.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
31,937 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Aug 26, 2017 10:29 |  #4

Why not get both a 6D and 7D2, and sell the 7D? I think you will find that the total expense of these 2 lightly used on the boards minus the $200-300 for the 7D will mean you will have the best of both worlds for a pretty decent budget.

The 5D4 is the best all around body covering everything and then some over the 3 bodies you are considering. If you can budget for that and sell the 7D, do it. :)

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

Eric ­ Hopp
35 posts
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Aug 26, 2017 11:18 |  #5

I am sort of in the same boat you are. I'm looking at upgrading my two 40Ds into better, all-around cameras. I've been looking at both the 6D and 7D. I'm more of a photojournalism-style shooter here. I have scoured the forums here on 6D and 7D posts.

I have found that the 6D autofocus tracking is not as good as the 7D. The 7D excels in sports-action photography. If you plan to use the 6D for birding and wildlife shooting, you may not be happy with the 6D.

The 6D appears t be an excellent camera for landscape and asto-photography, as it is a full frame camera over the crop 7D. The 6D would be a great camera for shooting flowers or still life, as you do not need the fast autofocus tracking of the 7D.

Controls on the back are totally different between the 6D and 7D. There is no joystick on the 6D, as there is on the 7D and I believe the 5D3. I picked up and played with both the 6D and 7D in a local camera shop, and I noticed how intuitively comfortable it was to play with the 7D controls--the layout was the same as my 40D cameras.

I have seen some commentators post the wickedness of having both a 6D and 7D cameras, giving you the best of both worlds combination. The 7D provides you with the best AF tracking for birds and sports-action, while the 6D gives the best for landscapes, still life and astro-photography. Maybe that is true. The disadvantage of this combination are the controls on both cameras are completely different. So I'm still debating between the two cameras.

Now I need to go research the 5D3 camera.

As with your looking into the 24-105 f4L lens, go for it! I shoot with a 28-105 f3.5-4.5 as my workhorse lens. As much as I like the lens, nothing compares to Canon L glass. I have a Canon 70-200mm f4L lens, and it is the sharpest lens I have, with rich, color detail. I am amazed at the quality of the Canon L glass. I have looked at the 24-105 f4 L, and I'm impressed with the quality of the lens. I'm planning to add it to my collection as my new workhorse lens--just got to save a little more money. I have also looked at the 24-70mm f4L lens. The advantage on the 24-70mm f4L lens is that it is more compact than the 24-105, but does not have the telephoto reach that the 24-105 has.

Decisions...Decisions. :)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 26, 2017 11:31 |  #6

Keep the 7D and lenses, get a 6D and a super wide zoom or a couple of primes.

Or,

5D IV would be a single camera option

Or,

80D could be another single body option. The new sensor will blow the original 7D out of the water.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

ksbal
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
N.E. Kansas
Post has been edited 1 month ago by ksbal.
Aug 26, 2017 13:53 |  #7

Actually, the 7DII is well regarded for astro photography, see clarkvision.com for info on that.

Personally, I'd go 80D or 7DII, if you ever shoot in bursts. I had the 7DII first, and while I do love the shallow dof and better iso the 5D3 can get, --
once you have that faster shutter speed (and you use it regularly) along with a serious buffer, it's hard to give up. Of my two, I'd keep the 7D2 over my 5D3 any day... but shallow dof is not my primary worry when shooting. JMHO, YMMV.

that said, when they finally upgrade the sensor in my 7D2, I'll be upgrading to the 7D3.. and be a very happy camper.

YN622 English User Guide/Manual by Clive
https://drive.google.c​om ...Ig0gMMzZFaDVlZ1VNTE​0/view (external link)

Mtk
THREAD ­ STARTER
135 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Montauk, NY
Aug 27, 2017 15:58 |  #8

Thank you everyone for your recommendations. Nogo you are correct the "I think" will bug me if I don't get the 5DIV but I have 23 month old twins and hard to justify the cost when I have a ton of learning to still do. At the end of the day I think I will be going the route of the 6D for a few reason's. IQ seems to be very good. Down the road if I do go the route of the 5DIV I can always mod the 6d for astro. For the time being I will keep the 7D as my second body for fast moving wild life and bird photography.

Canon 7D, Canon 100-400 F4/5.6 ISL Canon EF-S- 10-22

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 02, 2017 11:11 |  #9

What's your budget?

I'd suggest a Fuji X-t20 with 18-55 f/2.8-4.0 image stabilized lens as a supplemental camera.

The price isn't outrageous and the IQ in my opinion is massively better than your current 7D.

Now that you've mentioned you have twins you can have excellent HD video and excellent skin tones with fuji render. That is a great camera to document your twins. Capable of tracking running little children too using zone af.

You can have excellent exposure as you shoot WYSIWYG. When I shoot fuji I almost catch myself go brainless as controlling exposure compensation becomes second nature. No chimping is really required in that respect of checking exposure.

If you want to stick with canon the 80D is a good option. DPAF video documenting the kids and IQ is definitely a huge jump over the 7d. Noise control is not as good as the 6d/5dmk3 but better than the 5dmk2. Touchscreen works well and great for doing focus pulls if your camera is on a tripod.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
Joined May 2011
Gainesville, Florida
Sep 02, 2017 11:22 |  #10

I just picked up a used 6D on POTN. I won't get it until the middle of the week. I really needed something a bit more up-to-date than the 5Dc. My 1D IV still does very well for me with birding. The price of used 1D IV's keeps dropping... although a bit slower than some other bodies because it's the last APS H body.

I really hope the color rendition on the 6D is close to the 1D IV. It's been the most accurate for me... what I see is what I get if I do my job correctly.

Anyway, since I can't manage the current price of the 5D IV, a two camera solution seems to be the best path for me. There are quite a few options out there for this: 7D2/6D; 1DIV/6D,
80D/6D or 5D3... etc etc.

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1D IV | 6Dc | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS |100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Sep 02, 2017 22:34 |  #11

I'm very naive person for stars photography. Last time I checked, it was required wide lens and tripod. To me it sounds like 6D.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,690 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Mar 2006
S.F. Bay Area
Sep 03, 2017 01:12 |  #12

with a couple 2 year olds, i'd say buy some faster lenses

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)
my 366 for 2016 (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 1 month ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 03, 2017 04:36 |  #13

Heya,

5D3 used would be my pick. It will do it all. And it will not kill you to buy one these days ($1200~1300) compared to a new body at double that. 1D level AF, great performance every where else, the only reason to even consider a 6D compared to it, would be if you absolutely only used it for high ISO long exposure (astro).

Keep the 7D for a while. See if you like the 5D3 better for birding with the same lenses. If you do, sell the 7D. If not, keep the 7D a while longer. You could then just sell the 7D and put that into a 150-600.

Another alternative, though costly, is to consider a 5DSR. The pixel density is great for birding, the wider FOV is great for easier tracking, yet still does the rest as a full frame would. Probably still too expensive used even, and the file sizes are a chore unless you're already used to having a workflow. So again, makes me think the 5D3 is the way to go.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

gossamer88
"something else"
Joined Aug 2014
NYC
Sep 03, 2017 05:54 |  #14

Canon Refurb store (external link) has their labor Day sale currently running.

Refurbished EOS 5D Mark III Digital SLR Camera
$1999.20
Refurbished
20+ In Stock

EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera
Refurbished EOS 6D Digital SLR Camera
$1099.00
20+ In Stock

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 6s
flickr (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
Vancouver, BC
Sep 03, 2017 09:55 |  #15

Just rereading the thread the 5d3 is probably the most universal body. However in the addition to purchasing this full frame camera some form of wide angle zoom/prime must be purchased.

A compromise in some image quality the 7dmk2 can be another option and it also can be used for video documenting family/children's growth. High iso performance is a substantial upgrade from the 7dmk1.

Since I shoot both Canon and Fuji I select my tools for specific needs.

For a new 1200USD (much cheaper used) the Fuji X-t20 w/ 18-55 kit lens would very likely take on the duties of video and universal use of family outings and even an acceptable make shift fast moving/action camera. I only say this because I'd rather take out my fuji X-t2 over my 5dmk3/4 or even 80D due to weight for casual/family outings. I like the fuji files over Canon in some respects. If video or light form factor is not a concern you can disregard my fuji suggestion. I can't stress the beauty of video documentation of young ones. Before you make judgement on fuji or any other gear I'd suggest borrowing/renting more gear.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 80D | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | EF-S 10-22 | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 55-200 | EF-X500

sponsored links

1,241 views & 9 likes for this thread
Help... 6D or 5DIII or 7DII
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.