Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner
Thread started 28 Aug 2017 (Monday) 19:15
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photo looks "soft" and not sharp when zoomed in. Help Anyone?

Aswil23
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 28, 2017 19:15 |  #1

Hi, I am new here and and a fairly new photographer as well (Been shooting consistently for about a year now). I have noticed that most of my photos look really clear on camera. But when I go to edit them and I'm zoomed in, I notice that the image is not sharp, but rather fuzzy or grainy. I'm not sure why this is happening. I've read that it could be my aperture or shutter speed, but I'm still confused. Can someone shed some light please? Thanks

I've attached the grainy photo as well as another photo I took that came out much clear. Not exactly sure why one came out sharper and the other didn't. I have also included the metadata for each photo. (These are straight out of the camera btw)

1st Photo (grainy & fuzzy): 1/200 sec; f/2.8; ISO 160
2nd Photo (more sharp): 1/320 sec; f/2.8; ISO 200

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 28, 2017 19:20 |  #2

Looks plenty sharp.

But if you want help, post 100% crops so we can see the pixel peeper side of it.

My guess is just that you're experiencing the aggressive AA filter of the 7D coupled with using slower shutter speeds with long focal length on an APS-C sensor. Push ISO to 400 in the above and the shutter speed would have been a non-issue. It's possible to get a little motion blur due to the focal length on that sensor size with your shutter speeds as presented. But it's not profound from what I can see here. The grain is noise from being under-exposed and processed up, and the general noise of the 7D's sensor. But most probably it's your processing from an under-exposed image to begin with.

Beware pixel peeping. Everything is bad when you pixel peep. Focus on the final result and how it will look as presented, and don't focus on pixel peeping. You'll be a happier person in general.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Aswil23
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 28, 2017 19:55 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #3

Thanks for the insight MalVeaux. I know I shouldn't pixel peep, but I've seen other photographer's images and they seem to be pretty sharp. I know there are several factors that come into play with getting sharp images. In the mean time I will try pushing up my ISO next time when shooting outdoors. I always thought the increasing ISO to much resulted in grainy photos though.

I've attached zoomed in screenshots of the photos below. Hopefully you can see the difference between the 2.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 28, 2017 22:01 |  #4

Heya,

First one looks soft or slightly out of focus (potentially from using AI servo and it gently predicting a move and was wrong; that happens). I don't think its motion blur at 70mm on APS-C with 1/200s, but it may be partially part of it. I think its most likely just focus (they all miss now and then). Focusing on that face with a strong light background is going to cause fits for most cameras anyways as it struggles to know what to even cling to for focus.

2nd one looks sharp enough to me to not worry about it.

The grain is normal. While higher ISO values will increase apparent noise, if you shoot RAW, expose up a little (raise exposure when shooting by +1/3rd for example) and then drop exposure in post, the noise will not be easy to see. The 7D is a fairly noisy camera in general, but you can process noise out. You will get more noise from underexposing and raising exposure in post-processing to correct for it, noise pops out big time with that. So to combat noise, expose up a little (maybe +1/3rd increased exposure from your normal metered exposure here) and don't lift exposure in post. Then gently apply a light noise reduction with whatever software you use. Do this from a RAW file, not a JPG. You'll get much cleaner images. The 7D can make clean images easily upwards of ISO 800 with good exposure & processing. I would not worry about trying to shoot ISO 400 or less, practice at higher ISO so that you can use it when you need to.

That said, for someone with skin tone like this, I would look for backgrounds that are not bright or near white where possible, to help with nailing exposure.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2009
Canada, Ontario, Milton
Aug 28, 2017 22:12 |  #5

You made two same size crops. One is from image part which is three times less than other part. So, one has three times less pixels in it. Less pixels you have, more grainy it is going to be.
Oh, instead of 70 2.8, try it at 200 8. You might be surprised. :-)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Aswil23
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 28, 2017 22:29 as a reply to MalVeauX's post |  #6

Ok that makes sense, I will give this a try. Thanks so much!

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Aug 28, 2017 22:35 |  #7

Where was the focus point in these shots? Your shooting at f/2.8 so unless the focus point was smack on the eyes/face you are likely to have issues due to narrow DoF.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 29, 2017 06:19 |  #8

kf095 wrote in post #18439705 (external link)
You made two same size crops. One is from image part which is three times less than other part. So, one has three times less pixels in it. Less pixels you have, more grainy it is going to be.

^^^ this ^^^

you are zooming in too much. do you know what it means to "view at 100 percent" in your editor?

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,232 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 29, 2017 07:27 |  #9

It looks like the shutter speeds should have been sufficient, but perhaps there was some subject movement. IS should have stabilized the photographer's movements.

Also, look at the picture styles used, if shooting JPG. Raise your sharpness if you are shooting at lower ISOs.

If doing raw, then work on contrast and sharpness to bring out the detail.

Never zoom past 100%, otherwise you are digitally enhancing the image beyond what the sensor captured, and those results are seldom very good. With the 7D, don't underexpose, always raise ISO to keep your exposures very bright, and you can then always curve/filter them back down afterwards, this combats the noise at higher ISOs, but also provides enough contrast/details for sharpening.

If you provide the raw (or full sized JPG), others can tell you the best way to go about post processing when you feel the original image is subpar.

Here is a quick edit in photoshop, just using the highlight/shadows and USM.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

644 views & 2 likes for this thread
Photo looks "soft" and not sharp when zoomed in. Help Anyone?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.