Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 29 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 07:33
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Three new tilt-shift lenses: TS-E50mm f/2.8L, TS-E90mm f/2.8L, and TS-E135mm f/4L

StudioAbe
BAAAAAAN!!!
Joined Jul 2009
Westchester County, NY
Aug 29, 2017 07:33 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'binary/octet-stream'

from The Digital Picture

http://www.canonrumors​.com ...ee-new-tilt-shift-lenses/ (external link)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com ...News-Post.aspx?News=21126 (external link)

All three priced at $2199
https://www.usa.canon.​com ...e/products/list/len​ses/ef (external link)

While my everyday system has been Fuji as of late, I still rely on Canon system for critical assignments, a few types of which rely on their tilt-shift lenses. I currently own 17, 24 & 90 tilt-shifts and certainly looking into the new releases. Initially, I was set on 50mm to fill the gap but now I am not so sure... There were times when using the 90mm, I wished for the independent tilt-shift axis like the 17 and 24, and the 135mm could open up new possibilities...

All in all, welcome additions :love:

5DSR 5DMkIII X-T1 X-T2 | + gear | StudioAbe (external link) | Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 29, 2017 08:29 |  #2

Since these are so long I'm assuming they will continue to make the current line up?

That's is 7 TS lenses now in the Canon line... with only the 90mm having two versions. Wondering if the old 90mm will be discontinued...

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Post has been edited 27 days ago by CheshireCat.
Aug 29, 2017 10:40 |  #3

The really interesting upgrade here is the half-macro (1:2) capability.

I think the older lenses will still be available for a while, as they serve to cover the lower market segment.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

StudioAbe
THREAD ­ STARTER
BAAAAAAN!!!
Joined Jul 2009
Westchester County, NY
Aug 29, 2017 12:36 |  #4

CheshireCat wrote in post #18440003 (external link)
The really interesting upgrade here is the half-macro (1:2) capability.

I think the older lenses will still be available for a while, as they serve to cover the lower market segment.

Indeed. In particular, 50mm will be the bigger upgrade as 45mm it will be replacing only has .16x magnification. Current 90mm already has respectable .29x magnification and excellent image quality so the most significant gain would be independent tilt and shift axes.

5DSR 5DMkIII X-T1 X-T2 | + gear | StudioAbe (external link) | Facebook (external link)

remotehuman
I'm not into that
Joined Nov 2010
Quincy, MA
Aug 29, 2017 15:15 |  #5

This is very exciting, I can't wait to try them out :love:

The 50 should be interesting, the 45 was never really used, it was the bastard child of the tilt-shift lineup. The 135 will be a very welcome long focal length. I also wonder if the new 90 will replace or go along with the old 90, the old is a great lens for what it does and is quite sharp.

Max | Gear | flickr (external link)

dochollidayda
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Aug 29, 2017 18:39 |  #6

These are way beyond me, I am not even going to pretend I know of any use for these lenses.

A part of me wishes Canon were putting more effort behind their mainstream lenses.

Where's the replacement 50? or updated 300 F4L, 70-200 F4L? I don't know, good lenses that common folk like me can afford? Maybe I only care about what I mostly shoot with, but I am certain who share the same sentiment.

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 29, 2017 19:36 |  #7

Am I ever glad I didn't purchase the Zeiss normal lenses and decided to stick with my plastic phantastic mount nifty fifty for the time being.

Now I can buy a normal lens with camera movements! :cool:

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

remotehuman
I'm not into that
Joined Nov 2010
Quincy, MA
Aug 29, 2017 21:22 as a reply to dochollidayda's post |  #8

I hear what you're saying, but these lenses have a ton of use. I think you would be surprised to find out just how much these lenses are actually used by professionals. Not modeling or wedding really, but they are the go to for architecture, they are fantastic for product photography since you don't have to focus stack. I've used mine for food photography and it works amazing but I guess that would go hand in hand with product photography. There is also being able to take great panoramas as an advantage of the lenses. I honestly didn't expect to see one, never mind three, new TS-E lenses any time soon. While the mainstream lenses aren't getting a ton of love right now it's great to see Canon still putting effort into specialty lenses. Those that use them appreciate it a ton. The price tag keeps the average person away from owning one because no one in their right mind would spend 2 grand on one of these instead of a nice 70-200 that they would use plenty more. But once you have them and use them it changes photography for you. It allows you more creative control, lets you do more to your compositions and saves you time editing in some cases.

Max | Gear | flickr (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
Canada
Aug 29, 2017 21:25 |  #9

Heh, for those few events I've done the 24mm TS-E has been unbeatable, especially for the group shots.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,601 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Rhode Island
Aug 29, 2017 22:52 |  #10

FarmerTed1971 wrote in post #18439926 (external link)
Since these are so long I'm assuming they will continue to make the current line up?

That's is 7 TS lenses now in the Canon line... with only the 90mm having two versions. Wondering if the old 90mm will be discontinued...

remotehuman wrote in post #18440195 (external link)
I also wonder if the new 90 will replace or go along with the old 90, the old is a great lens for what it does and is quite sharp.

These are replacement lenses for the 45 & 90, both of which will no longer be available after the existing stock is sold.

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

PatrickChen
Mostly Lurking
17 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Aug 29, 2017 23:15 as a reply to bps's post |  #11

Is it worthy of getting new one, instead of old ver + extension tube or 100 macro ?

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Sunny California
Aug 29, 2017 23:24 |  #12

Alveric wrote in post #18440353 (external link)
Am I ever glad I didn't purchase the Zeiss normal lenses and decided to stick with my plastic phantastic mount nifty fifty for the time being.

Now I can buy a normal lens with camera movements! :cool:

Yeah, at $2200 it's definitely the new nifty fifty :p

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Aug 30, 2017 01:40 |  #13

PatrickChen wrote in post #18440485 (external link)
Is it worthy of getting new one, instead of old ver + extension tube or 100 macro ?

If you can afford it I would like to think so. The separate tilt/shift of the new ones would make it worthwhile. I use an adapted Cambo with a 210mm lens, mainly because I didn't like that the 90mm didn't allow independent tilt and shift direction. I've been getting a bit g.a.s.'y since I saw the 135 TS-E Macro announced.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2010
Chula Vista, CA
Aug 30, 2017 01:43 |  #14

dochollidayda wrote in post #18440317 (external link)
These are way beyond me, I am not even going to pretend I know of any use for these lenses.

A part of me wishes Canon were putting more effort behind their mainstream lenses.

Where's the replacement 50? or updated 300 F4L, 70-200 F4L? I don't know, good lenses that common folk like me can afford? Maybe I only care about what I mostly shoot with, but I am certain who share the same sentiment.

Maybe Canon is sticking to what they are good at, rather than trying to engineer new lenses for a market already being serviced by Sigma and Tamron? Who isn't making a 70-200? Who is making a TS-E? Product and food photographers will be lining up for the new TS-Es I'd think.

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

cwphoto
Go ahead, make my day
Joined Oct 2005
Kellyville, Baulkham Hills, Cumberland, NSW, Australia
Aug 30, 2017 08:06 |  #15

Gees, there's another $10k out of the wallet.. :-|

EOS-1D X Mark II| EOS 5D Mark IV | EOS 80D | EOS-1V HS
L: 14/2.8 II | 17/4 | 24/1.4 II | 24/3.5 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 100/2.8 Macro IS | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 300/2.8 IS II | 400/2.8 IS II | 500/4 IS II | 600/4 IS II | 8-15/4 Fisheye | 11-24/4 | 16-35/2.8 III | 24-70/2.8 II | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS II | 200-400/4 IS 1.4x
Sundry: 600EX II-RT | 1.4x III | 2x III | 12 II | 25 II | OC-E4

sponsored links

2,547 views & 22 likes for this thread
Three new tilt-shift lenses: TS-E50mm f/2.8L, TS-E90mm f/2.8L, and TS-E135mm f/4L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.