Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 13:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hurricane Harvey: Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue @ My Neighborhood

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,126 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 29, 2017 13:37 |  #1

I'm in Humble/Kingwood area and while we are OK with the hurricane flooding we have many around us that are not doing ok and have lost everything or have severe damage from flood waters. As of right now they have many helicopters flying in our area and our own neighborhood picking people up and bringing them to safety. Our neighborhood doesn't have near the issues as others. They are flying more north where it is really bad. I cannot thank these responders enough and I pray for everyone they are helping. Photo uncropped taken directly above my house.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.
HOSTED PHOTO

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
TustinMike
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2011
Aug 29, 2017 13:45 |  #2

Glad to hear that you're OK, and my thoughts are very much with all affected by this hurricane and flooding etc.

Take Care,
Mike

All New Year, All New Sig !

jake14mw
71 posts
Joined Jan 2017
Aug 29, 2017 14:52 |  #3

Just looked up your posts because I remembered you were in Houston. I hope you stay dry. Tragic circumstances there.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Aug 29, 2017 20:24 |  #4

Glad things are OK in your neck of the woods. It's nuts out here...like a post apocalyptic movie. The photographer in me wants to document everything, but its not a priority with everything going on.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,126 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 29, 2017 21:06 |  #5

I hear ya... I don't really feel like taking any photos either... it would be documenting my neighbors tragedies.

My Gear Archive

Osa713
Joined Jun 2011
Houston, TX
Aug 30, 2017 00:37 as a reply to Talley's post |  #6

I'm in the same situation, didn't feel like documenting my neighbors being distraught.

Here is a drone shot of my neighborhood though

HOSTED PHOTO

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,126 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 30, 2017 02:39 |  #7

You know I took my p3p up above my house real quick just to get a quick capture and I post the image on the community facebook page and then I get some guy flaming me for doing so because of the no fly zone in affect. FAA says no UAS right now since the entire area is considered rescue operations...

whats your thoughts on that? I flew mine up and down within a 2 minute flight but I keep seeing a ton of video from drones.

My Gear Archive

PhotogNY
587 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Lawn Guyland, Noo Yawk
Aug 30, 2017 07:30 |  #8

Talley wrote in post #18440418 (external link)
I don't really feel like taking any photos either... it would be documenting my neighbors tragedies.

As someone who was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, PLEASE take pictures. Your neighbors are dealing with loosing everything, and it's the last thing they're thinking of doing. But they want people to see what's going on. No one understands unless they see photos. And when it's all over, and the recovery begins, they'll want to look back, and see just how bad it really was.

Please take pictures.

Photographer's Guide to Copyright Law Basics (external link)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Aug 30, 2017 07:50 |  #9

Talley wrote in post #18440544 (external link)
You know I took my p3p up above my house real quick just to get a quick capture and I post the image on the community facebook page and then I get some guy flaming me for doing so because of the no fly zone in affect. FAA says no UAS right now since the entire area is considered rescue operations...

whats your thoughts on that? I flew mine up and down within a 2 minute flight but I keep seeing a ton of video from drones.

Technically you shouldn't be flying a drone since there are all sorts of search and rescue choppers out right now....there's a staging area near me and there are military choppers constantly flying overhead. But the likelihood of disrupting anything with a tiny drone going up for a few minutes at a time is pretty minimal.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Aug 30, 2017 07:52 |  #10

PhotogNY wrote in post #18440631 (external link)
As someone who was devastated by Hurricane Sandy, PLEASE take pictures. Your neighbors are dealing with loosing everything, and it's the last thing they're thinking of doing. But they want people to see what's going on. No one understands unless they see photos. And when it's all over, and the recovery begins, they'll want to look back, and see just how bad it really was.

Please take pictures.

Yeah its a really odd feeling though. I've been to a couple of shelters and visited a couple of flooded spots to see if anyone needed a lift and have had my camera on me, but its really the last thing on my mind. Doesn't feel right to start snapping photos in the moment when there's more to do....feels really insensitive with everything going on.

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Aug 30, 2017 09:22 |  #11

It is possible that photos could help someone in some way when they are trying to settle their insurance claims. If anyone were to question you taking pictures, just tell them you are documenting what you can at least partly for that reason.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Aug 30, 2017 09:36 as a reply to Talley's post |  #12

I went through Hurricane Katrina. Take as many pictures as possible. You and your neighbors will be thankful later. You will never know when you need some obscure random picture of a certain stage of damage. It is very helpful for insurance purposes.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Aug 30, 2017 10:16 |  #13

I've been through several hurricanes. Photos are important after the disaster for claim purposes. It's amazing how locked up insurance companies are and how they try to get out of everything. Photos help a lot. Just like anything out there, if you want to put things in your favor during a bad situation, have documentation of it, and photographs and video are profound in that sense.

Also, most people I know here in Florida that have been through a few hurricanes and took loss do like to look back, remember their story, share it. There's a lot of people who live here and in 20 years never even see something, so they don't believe it can happen to them living on the coast, then bam, it happens.

As for drones, drones are super useful during times like these. Inexpensive ways to see damage, potential victims, potential disasters (like a forming big sink hole), and it doesn't cost whatever fuel is in a chopper. Obviously flying it around with other vessels is not a good idea, but if there's nothing in the sky, it's a useful tool. Also again useful for later for people in your neighborhood for claim purposes. Rules are rules, but honestly you have to look out for yourself and others during bad times, Uncle Sam and the Insurance companies are in bed together and while they will help you out, there's a lot they won't do unless you fight for it with evidence. Heck the military uses drones for surveillance because its just so efficient and inexpensive.

And of course, stay safe, hope everything goes well for everyone in TX.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

imsellingmyfoot
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2011
Dallas, TX
Aug 30, 2017 12:26 |  #14

MalVeauX wrote in post #18440724 (external link)
I've been through several hurricanes. Photos are important after the disaster for claim purposes. It's amazing how locked up insurance companies are and how they try to get out of everything. Photos help a lot. Just like anything out there, if you want to put things in your favor during a bad situation, have documentation of it, and photographs and video are profound in that sense.

Also, most people I know here in Florida that have been through a few hurricanes and took loss do like to look back, remember their story, share it. There's a lot of people who live here and in 20 years never even see something, so they don't believe it can happen to them living on the coast, then bam, it happens.

Agreed with both your points.

We had a window break during a hurricane or tropical storm, and the insurance company tried to deny the claim because the "damage was from wind driven rain, not a hurricane." They'll try to get out of everything.

I actually wish I had photos of damage from Hurricane Katrina. I've since moved to Dallas and have met lots of new friends, and I don't have photos to go along with my stories.

Canon 6D | Sigma 24A | Sigma 35A | Canon 50 f/1.8 | Canon 70-200 f/4
Check out Welcome to Downtown Plano (external link), a time lapse video I created.
BLOG (external link)| INSTAGRAM (external link) | flickr (external link) | Buy/Sell Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Aug 30, 2017 12:54 |  #15

I am glad to read that you guys are OK. I'd hate to see Tally's gear get wet! :)

Seriously, try to take as many photos as possible. I know, I am not a photo journalist or a people photographer in general so I too have a very hard time taking photos, particularly when people are in distress.

But, this is an event for which the more documentation the better.

Take care guys and stay dry.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

2,532 views & 28 likes for this thread
Hurricane Harvey: Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue @ My Neighborhood
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.