Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 29 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 13:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Hurricane Harvey: Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue @ My Neighborhood

AZGeorge
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2010
Southen Arizona
Aug 30, 2017 12:55 |  #16

Unless you a professional or public safety worker with official clearance do not violate public safety no fly. Not now. Not ever.

Yes, there are fine reasons to fly. We can even convince ourselves they are at least slightly noble reasons, but don't do it.

With care, the risk of taking down a rescue craft are small, but they are not zero. Your innocent even slightly noble flight could cause death. A low flying craft can come over the trees in seconds with your UAV in its path.

Your flight will also make life harder for both crew and dispatch. What will dispatch do when an unauthorized UAV is reported? Yep, they have no choice but to shut down and you keep people from getting the help they need. You help keep the fire out of control. You, no matter how wonderful a person you are in real life, are the irresponsible tool.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

sponsored links
Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,126 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 30, 2017 14:32 |  #17

I haven't flown since the only time I took it up and determined the wond was too much.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Aug 30, 2017 19:10 |  #18

Positive thoughts and healing vibes for your neighbors.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 31, 2017 07:41 |  #19

I would feel awkward taking photos, but I do feel it is important to document the event and tell the story for everyone else who can't imagine what it's like.

This photographer provided a good example: http://www.cnn.com ...rvey-cnnphotos/index.html (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 31, 2017 11:05 |  #20

Ascenta wrote in post #18441296 (external link)
I would feel awkward taking photos, but I do feel it is important to document the event and tell the story for everyone else who can't imagine what it's like.

This photographer provided a good example: http://www.cnn.com ...rvey-cnnphotos/index.html (external link)

I'd only disagree with your choice of the word "good" :)
Exceptional!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been edited 2 months ago by welshwizard1971.
Aug 31, 2017 12:29 |  #21

Take photo's, that's journalism, that's photography, that's a huge element of your hobby, personally I think the best. I was in charge of flood responses in an area of the UK in 2014, flat out dawn till dusk, not many chances to take photo's, but I did when I could. In hindsight, not my best work, but I did have my mind on other things to be fair. However, good or not, they were used widely by local media, agencies, employers , presentations, training events, response plans, they were popping up all over the place! I still see them popping up and wonder how the heck did they get a copy of that??

As for the drone, no way, the risk is tiny, but just imagine if that risk was realised, how would you feel? What if it crashed and killed people, your neighbors, even just got grounded so couldn't rescue people? Do you want your face all over the worlds media? JUst don't even think about it, or, offer it's use to local agencies for official S&R purposes....

Keep you and your family safe fella, photo's don't matter much in comparison....

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7030/13822807184_2478bdb586_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/n4tu​ZN] (external link)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Ascenta
Joined Sep 2005
Aug 31, 2017 15:43 |  #22

What about video...like news reporters doing interviews? That seems a bit too intrusive, especially at a shelter. There was a lady that went off on a CNN reporter on live tv and they let it roll...oops! F-bombs and everything else.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mystik610. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2017 16:05 |  #23

I think there's a distinct difference between being an actual photojournalist and doing your job and being a hobbyist with a camera shooting for yourself. Don't get me wrong I brought my camera with the full intention of documenting things because this is historic stuff, but when you're actually in the thick of things it doesn't feel right at all because at the end of the day, these photos would be for myself.

The bigger priority for me is to actually be actively helping out.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,237 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been edited 2 months ago by welshwizard1971.
Aug 31, 2017 16:43 |  #24

Until an independent photographer / photojournalist gets paid, they're taking them for themselves too....

I see you live on Houston, the 4th biggest US city in the richest country in the world, in a very rich area due to the oil wealth, surely there must be 10 people helping for every person who needs help?

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

s1a1om
Joined Jul 2013
Hartford, CT, USA
Aug 31, 2017 17:41 as a reply to AZGeorge's post |  #25

mystik610 wrote in post #18440642 (external link)
Technically you shouldn't be flying a drone since there are all sorts of search and rescue choppers out right now....there's a staging area near me and there are military choppers constantly flying overhead. But the likelihood of disrupting anything with a tiny drone going up for a few minutes at a time is pretty minimal.

Keep in mind that hobbyist drones have impacted fire fighting efforts during wildfires and Medevac helicopters trying to land to help accident victims.

The risk of a mid-air may seem minimal to you (and it likely is), but if your drone is spotted it may prevent your neighbors from getting the help they need.

Further, violating the FAA, FARs, etc gives other hobbyist a bad name and may force the government to enact additional regulations in the future.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2012
Houston, TX
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mystik610. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2017 17:44 |  #26

welshwizard1971 wrote in post #18441701 (external link)
Until an independent photographer / photojournalist gets paid, they're taking them for themselves too....

I see you live on Houston, the 4th biggest US city in the richest country in the world, in a very rich area due to the oil wealth, surely there must be 10 people helping for every person who needs help?

Hehe I think you'd have to be here to really understand. It's bad in parts of the city. It's very hard to stand idle and not do something that will really help people...and nothing I photograph is going to help anyone. I'd rather have a boat than a camera right now.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α9 - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - 85GM - Sony 70-200GM

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
10,126 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Aug 31, 2017 19:10 |  #27

I'm not photographing anything right now. Photography is a hobby for me. My profession is I'm a state licensed Master Electrician so I've been going around helping out checking out peoples electrical and helping cleanup efforts.

Photography is the last thing on my mind sorry. I look at this as an opportunity to aid in what I know best.

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

Orogeny
Joined Aug 2003
Houston, Texas
Sep 06, 2017 15:40 |  #28

Not interested in taking photos of this mess. We were too busy helping friends pull up carpet and removing furniture and sheetrock to even think about picking up a camera. And I sure as heck would not want to bring my camera to those locations anyway because of all of the water and the resulting humidity inside those houses.

Tim

There's someone in my head, and it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,534 views & 28 likes for this thread
Hurricane Harvey: Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue @ My Neighborhood
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.