Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 30 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 21:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Coast Redwoods. Splendor of the tallest & widest trees.

mdvaden
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Aug 30, 2017 21:54 |  #1

Waited two seasons for this photo. A river was too high to cross last winter and spring. Set a timer to give myself 9 minutes to get down, over and up to this coast redwood. This pic is resized by an external image host, but seems okay. The coast redwoods are the tallest and widest diameter trunk species in the country. My favorite forest and climate to visit. Captured this just after daybreak yesterday morning, and already have a 20 x 30 framed here in the home office studio.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/giant/La_Leche_%20Redwood_Brwn_Cr.jpg

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Aug 30, 2017 22:01 |  #2

EPIC! Love it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,252 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 30, 2017 22:17 |  #3

Gorgeous picture and great story but though the coastal redwoods are the tallest trees they are not the widest. That honor belongs to the Sequoias in the Serra Nevada mountains nearly three times the width.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Aug 30, 2017 22:21 |  #4

A few months ago, I left my 70-200 behind to shed weight. Glad I brought the light 135mm though. At least it got me something, because I haven't crossed paths with an owl before in the redwoods. Shot from a distance, so the photo is a crop from a wider view. Barred Owl in Jedediah Smith redwood park.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/huge/owl_1200mdv.jpg

vadenphotography.comexternal link . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Pageexternal link

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mdvaden. 4 edits done in total.
Aug 30, 2017 22:32 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #18441155 (external link)
Gorgeous picture and great story but though the coastal redwoods are the tallest trees they are not the widest. That honor belongs to the Sequoias in the Serra Nevada mountains nearly three times the width.

That changed 2015, when Sequoia sempervirens took the crown for the greatest known diameter. The coast redwood below is a sample new discovery. It's wider than General Sherman, but this is not the widest coast redwood discovery. There's some from Redwood National and State Parks that havent been published yet. When visitors go to the Sierra Nevada, it's almost certain they will not hear about these from rangers, because even the coastal rangers say very little if anything. This is "Spartan" ... Sequoia sempervirens ...

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods2/huge/GF_Ari_Cnvs_Sample.jpg

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,252 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 30, 2017 22:38 |  #6

I stand corrected.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 01, 2017 09:04 |  #7

This is more like what I hope to spot in the coast redwood forest these days.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/huge/Density_1400mdv.jpg

DMax82
Joined Jan 2008
Home Again (Nashville)
Sep 01, 2017 15:12 |  #8

Surreal! Those trees are simply amazing and you did a great job of capturing their beauty.

T5i. Standard Canon zoom. Big Canon zoom. Wide Canon zoom. Plasticy Canon prime. Sony a6000 and a bunch of crappy old lenses plus a Samyang 12mm 2.0. Pentax K-5. Manfrotto tripod and head.
My blog about becoming a father for the first time - The Terrified Dad (external link)

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 06, 2017 17:13 |  #9

DMax82 wrote in post #18442322 (external link)
Surreal! Those trees are simply amazing and you did a great job of capturing their beauty.

The forest is amazing in how different trees and groves look one season to another, or different hours of the day. This forest can appear more evergreen in winter than it does in the summer.

Here's a gnarly limb

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/huge/Shapes_1800mdv.jpg

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
Joined Sep 2013
Portland, OR
Sep 06, 2017 17:31 |  #10

TREEBEARD!!!

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - 18-55 - 35 f2 WR - 50-140 - 6D - 135L - 70-200 f4L IS - 600EX-RT x2 - ST-E3-RT - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

Keith ­ Newton
984 posts
Joined May 2006
Arkansas
Sep 07, 2017 05:44 |  #11

Great shots of a difficult subject. I haven't been out there in a long long time, and just felt frustrated that there was no way actually capture what it's like being there. But congrats, you did a fine job of capturing their feet. ha

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 08, 2017 18:13 |  #12

Keith Newton wrote in post #18446520 (external link)
Great shots of a difficult subject. I haven't been out there in a long long time, and just felt frustrated that there was no way actually capture what it's like being there. But congrats, you did a fine job of capturing their feet. ha

Due to the extreme height and dense forests, there not not many options to capture the entire height. Stout Grove and Tall Trees Grove can be photographed top to bottom from the Smith River and Redwood Creek river. And along the Eel River shown below, the entire 300 ft. to 350 ft. is sometimes in full view.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/huge/Eel_Ave_12mdv.jpg

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 09, 2017 20:52 |  #13

An old elderly red huckleberry among a scenic grove of coast redwood and sword fern. A few small hemlock are peeking behind.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods2/huge/Fern_Glade_14mdv.jpg

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Sep 12, 2017 23:41 |  #14

Wedding this week in the coast redwood forest of Humboldt. A couple from Hawaii. Recently shared this in a wedding thread too.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods/huge/Earle_1_1800.jpg

mdvaden
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2009
Beaverton, Oregon
Post has been edited 2 months ago by mdvaden.
Sep 24, 2017 09:05 |  #15

There is a carnivorous plant that overlaps it's range with the coast redwoods. Darlingtonia, or Cobra Lily. These are it's flowers, with the rest behind in the Bokeh. Grows where water trickles all summer or in bogs.

IMAGE: http://photos.imageevent.com/mdvaden/redwoods2/huge/C_L_1200mdv.jpg

sponsored links

1,838 views & 41 likes for this thread
Coast Redwoods. Splendor of the tallest & widest trees.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.