Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation
Thread started 30 Aug 2017 (Wednesday) 22:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

issues with shooting HDR in forest setting

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,347 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Sep 02, 2017 10:30 as a reply to post 18442491 |  #16

No Tone Curve, just the tonal sliders and a spot (radial) local adjustment on the truck.

The image could use more local contrast in certain areas, but LRs clarity slider is hamfisted and there are better tools.

Kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links
Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Post has been edited 1 month ago by Bcaps.
Sep 02, 2017 21:30 |  #17

I'm unclear on why this needs 7 exposures. This isn't really a challenging shot with regards to dynamic range. Take one shot that is exposed for the highlights and in post increase the exposure, take down the highlights, and bring up the shadows and you are done.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Stiga
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2015
Nr Perth, Scotland
Sep 03, 2017 05:23 |  #18

Bcaps wrote in post #18443225 (external link)
I'm unclear on why this needs 7 exposures. This isn't really a challenging shot with regards to dynamic range. Take one shot that is exposed for the highlights and in post increase the exposure, take down the highlights, and bring up the shadows and you are done.

Agreed. I tried it with 4 and the result was just the same as far as I could judge.

Martin
I'm not a gear guy but I have a tons of software :-)

Z10silver
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
Joined Nov 2016
Sep 03, 2017 21:17 as a reply to Bcaps's post |  #19

There's lots of noise if you try to do this with 1 shot exposed for the highlights...

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
Joined Jun 2003
Bay Area, CA
Sep 04, 2017 01:12 as a reply to Z10silver's post |  #20

I'm not familiar with your camera (6D), but this is one shot on my D810. I just took a look at your raws and was able to blend together 2 exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows. Seven shots is just way over the top for this scene.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,347 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Philadelphia, PA USA
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by kirkt. 5 edits done in total.
Sep 05, 2017 08:13 |  #21

Bcaps wrote in post #18444021 (external link)
I'm not familiar with your camera (6D), but this is one shot on my D810. I just took a look at your raws and was able to blend together 2 exposures, one for the highlights and one for the shadows. Seven shots is just way over the top for this scene.

If you do not shoot with a Canon, and you are fortunate enough to use a Nikon 8XX camera (or the Sony equivalent), then this may seem like an exercise in excess for this scene. However, even if you want to go the route of using a single exposure, there is no problem with bracketing to get just the right ETTR that you can pull back in post. I cannot speak to the choice of exposure intervals in this sequence, but to each their own. Even if you shoot 7 exposures, there is no rule that requires you to use all of them and card space is cheap. better to shoot 7 and use 2 than to shoot 2 and get home to realize that you did not shoot enough to cover the DR. Most of the images presented in the "Natural Looking HDR" thread could probably be produced from a single exposure, regardless of the sensor. They are "Natural Looking" because the scene does not contain a high dynamic range.

Exposing for the highlights in a scene like this will leave you with splotchy noise in the shadows - look at image 6048 (shot at 1/80s) for an example of a candidate single image for editing. You can wangle the sliders in LR and get something that looks "acceptable," but you must apply copious amounts of NR and use extreme highlight and shadow input. When you do this, you reveal the color shifting and limitations of pushing those shadows - on the most important subject in the image, the truck. And, the original problem (flare and blooming) is still present.

This lens appears to have limitations with a scene like this - problems such as flare and internal reflections cause a decrease in the overall local contrast and DR right out of the gate, regardless of the sensor that is recording the light coming through the lens.

kirk

Kirk
---

sponsored links

1,208 views & 4 likes for this thread
issues with shooting HDR in forest setting
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.