Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 31 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 00:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

drop box compression

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Aug 31, 2017 00:41 |  #1

does anyone know if dropbox compresses images to any significant degree?

ive sent a couple of different versions of the same image to a friend who is putting together a book (through snapfish i think) and they keep saying the images are too small for print use...

the first time i sent it to her, it was 13kb. i must have resized it for something. the RAW was 20-22mb...

i found the LR version and sent IT to her and it was exported to Jpeg with a resultant size of about 13mb. she just texted me back saying it wasnt even 547kb...

before i make a comment i might regret, does anyone know of this being standard for dropbox? ive been sending the link through FB messenger and Im starting to wonder if she's looking at the thumbnail and trying to use it vs going to the actual link and downloading the image...

im on a tablet at work right now and cant access dropbox on a regular computer to try downloading the image from the link and then clicking around on it to get the properties and such...

thanks

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
32,241 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined May 2002
Northern Indiana
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by TeamSpeed. 2 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2017 01:29 |  #2

I have never uploaded an image to Dropbox only to find they altered the image when I do a test download. I get the same file I uploaded each time. If they compress it at their end, it is a lossless compression.

https://www.dropboxfor​um.com ...ed-photo-files/idi-p/6397 (external link)

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​449871

Past Equipment | My Gallery (external link)

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 31, 2017 02:02 |  #3

It all depends on how they are downloading the file. If they do as they should and simply download it to a local folder then Dropbox do nothing at all to the image. If on the other hand they open the image in the Dropbox viewing page to check the image is OK, and then simply do a right click save, that is when you will get issues.

When Dropbox build the viewing page they also resize and recompress the image to make it suitable for on screen viewing. It is worth them doing the processing to save on the data transmission costs when you consider the number of images they are dealing with. Most people can't tell the difference in quality anyway. I have noticed that even the most un computer savvy users seem to be able to use the right click save option. In fact many of those very low skill users will go with the right click over trying to work out how to correctly download the full sized image from Dropbox.

I don't do much commercial work, but both of my clients will do this when sent a Dropbox link. In the end I set them both up with dropbox accounts, and created shared folders so that the files just magically arrive on their hard drives. I just had to then convince them not to delete the files "to save space" to avoid me having to constantly re-export the images for them.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Aug 31, 2017 03:11 |  #4

I use Dropbox all the time for the specific reason of sharing photos of the kids with my parents. I've never seen any loss of file size/quality - what I upload stays there and if downloaded again it's exactly the same so I suspect she is looking only at the thumbnail.

If you want her to download the images replace the 0 at the end of the link with a 1 so it says dl=1 and it will automatically unload a zip file.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

Dan ­ Marchant
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Dan Marchant.
Aug 31, 2017 03:28 |  #5

Short answer - no Dropbox doesn't compress files.

Dropbox is not a photo sharing or social media app where compression might be acceptable. It is primarily a file syncing service designed to sync (the exact) file on one machine to one or more other machines. Compressing the files would render the system unusable because the resulting file would be different from the original.

This fact is easy to check for yourself. Go to your Dropbox, select an image or zip file and get the copy link that you normally send to your client. Now go to your browser and paste it in to display the file. Select to download the image/file (direct download - not to your Dropbox). Now check to file properties of the downloaded file against those of the Dropbox original.

I would bet money that Alan's suggestion (they are right click saving the thumbnail image) is what is happening.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
Repps cum Bastwick, Gt Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK.
Aug 31, 2017 16:10 |  #6

The problem when they view using the Dropbox web viewer is that it doesn't really look like a thumbnail, since they make it pretty much fit the screen, just like many social media sites. So you end up with an image that is IIRC close to the POTN posting limit. So it looks like a full sized image to many people who don't really have any idea about this sort of thing.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Sep 01, 2017 05:02 as a reply to BigAl007's post |  #7

and thats EXACTLY what happened...

when i suggested that they were possibly saving the thumbnail and not downloading the image, and then actually downloading the image they were blown away at the resolution and size of the file...

thanks everyone!

sponsored links

1,088 views & 4 likes for this thread
drop box compression
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.