Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 31 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 21:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Need help - External flash battery

Gary ­ Wiant
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Aug 31, 2017 21:35 |  #1

Its time to replace my flash zebra external battery pack. I'm in need of faster recycle times. I have a pro sports photographer that recommended the Quantium SC. He said because that's what he has and he doesn't know of other brands are as good or not. So my question is are there any external flash batteries that are as hood as the Quantium SC? I'm an amateur photographer & I like good equipment but $388 for the Quantium is a little nuts for me. Hopefully there is another model that will work as well be be a little cheaper.

Thanks in advance

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
pat.kane
566 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Aug 31, 2017 22:32 |  #2

It is hard to argue with Quantum's quality; however, you definitely pay a premium.

The Flashpoint Blast Power Pack BP-960 (it is a rebranded Godox pack) works with the same cables as the Quantum packs. It is $119 at https://www.adorama.co​m/fpppbp960.html (external link). You could give that a try and upgrade to the Quantum later without having to buy new cables.

Compare the weight of this pack at 1.2-lb to the Turbo 3 at 2-lb for an idea that Quantum is building a more robust product. I own both and the Turbo 3 is clearly a better pack. Is it 5 times better, which is the cost difference between the two? Probably not.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 31, 2017 22:39 |  #3

pat.kane wrote in post #18441866 (external link)

The Flashpoint Blast Power Pack BP-960 (it is a rebranded Godox pack) works with the same cables as the Quantum packs. It is $119 at https://www.adorama.co​m/fpppbp960.html (external link). You could give that a try and upgrade to the Quantum later without having to buy new cables....

I'd second this recommendation, and assume you will get a lot more as supporting this choice as well. There was a time when Quantum was the only game in town, a long time, but it's no longer the case and the new kids on the block are doing very good things to compete.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Gary ­ Wiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Post has been edited 2 months ago by Gary Wiant.
Sep 01, 2017 05:13 |  #4

Thanks Pat & Cyber Dyne, this looks to be exactly like what I'm needing. I shoot approximately 1000 shots a night at the most. All on ETTL so would I need to purchase an additional battery or would the 1 battery be enough? They say 1000 full power shots but i assume they are talking On manual.

How long of a life cycle do the batteries have?

Thanks again

Gary Wiant
1D mk IV - 1D mkIII - Eos- M - 70-200mm F2.8 IS Mk II - 24-105L f4 - 50 f1.4 - 100 2.8 Macro - M22mm - M18-55 - Canon Ef-Ef-s to M converter - 1.4x VIII & 2x VII extenders - 540EXII Flash, Flash Zebra SF-18 Ext. Battery Pack, Kenko Extension Tubes - Manfroto Macro Bracket - Lensalign Flickrexternal link

Gary ­ Wiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Sep 01, 2017 05:38 |  #5

I just re-read the discription they are saying 1800 full poer shots so i think im good for 1 pack lasting the whole game.

I'm still interested in how long of a life cycle the packs have.

Also I see they make a twin power adapter that I can take advantage of both power output wired to 1 flash for instant recycle times. Is this for speedlites 580 ex ii or just for strobes?

Thanks

Gary Wiant

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Sep 01, 2017 09:15 |  #6

Here you go and is a good deal...https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...o_flash_battery_pac​k.html (external link)

This looks like the same one all the Godox and Cheetah bare bulb flash uses. I personally am using the Lumedyne Ultra mega cycler with a DIY batter repack using Sanyo batteries.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Gary ­ Wiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Sep 01, 2017 13:10 |  #7

Ok so what's are the pros and cons between this and the flashpoint I can get the flashpoint with cable for $139 so they are basically the same price.

Any help is appreciated

Gary Wiant

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,026 posts
Joined Jan 2008
NYC
Sep 01, 2017 14:33 |  #8

Gary Wiant wrote in post #18442237 (external link)
Ok so what's are the pros and cons between this and the flashpoint I can get the flashpoint with cable for $139 so they are basically the same price.

Any help is appreciated

I think they are the same...just one being re branded. I like these because you can always replace the battery, the actual battery, if needed without the hassles to repack it (soldering and all). I just don't see the need to go Quantum really. If they are powerful and fast enough for those 300w bare bulb flash, they are fast enough for your speedlites. You can pretty much get 1sec recycling time using FULL POWER, instead of 3s. At sub 1/16 power output, a single charge will last you over 2k shots. Remember this, since you are using TTL, the higher the ISO you are using (shooting at night time), the less power the flash uses.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

pat.kane
566 posts
Joined May 2005
Arlington, VA
Sep 01, 2017 17:19 |  #9

Gary Wiant wrote in post #18442237 (external link)
... so they are basically the same price.

Yes, they're both rebranded Godox products. The same can be said for Cheetah Brand L4500 and others.

My assumption is the Flashpoint would be better supported by Adorama in case there was an issue, but I can't say for sure.

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Sep 01, 2017 23:35 |  #10

Gary Wiant wrote in post #18441994 (external link)
I just re-read the discription they are saying 1800 full poer shots so i think im good for 1 pack lasting the whole game.

I'm still interested in how long of a life cycle the packs have.

Also I see they make a twin power adapter that I can take advantage of both power output wired to 1 flash for instant recycle times. Is this for speedlites 580 ex ii or just for strobes?

Thanks

The twin adapter can be used with a Canon speedlight as well as strobes. To use the Canon, you need to get the ProPack cable Cx.
https://smile.amazon.c​om ...fRID=SS5KGNTWXMPQCH​XCRKMZ (external link)

I don't have any data on the life cycle, my own are coming up on two years. It's a well made Lithium ion that went through some revisions, the earliest ones would be coming on 5 years old I think.

Also, if you don't want to buy two packs, but would like a little more peice of mind, there's these;
https://smile.amazon.c​om ...AGKTG1&colid=45GF3D​QUOW8Y (external link)

This is the battery that is part of the PB960 pack. The actual battery swaps out in seconds :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Gary ­ Wiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Sep 02, 2017 06:33 |  #11

Sounds great PatKane & CyberDyne I'm ordering this the beginning of the week.

My only question is, if these are rebranded Godux flashes, why not just order a Godux off of Amazon? The price is the same at $119? but if I can get the original for the same price as a knock off wouldn't I want the original?

If it is because of better service from Adorama thats great, i do most of my purchases from Adorama anyhow.

Thanks

Gary Wiant

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,715 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been edited 2 months ago by CyberDyneSystems.
Sep 02, 2017 16:25 |  #12

After getting a few Godox, I personally began buying only Adorama flashpoint. They have great customer service, and here in the states to back the product with their name on it. They are hours away from me by car, and next day with UPS ground. I can call or email and talk to real people the same day.

So in the rare case that you do pay a few dollars more, what you are paying for is better service and backing of the product.

Godox is innovative and very competitive, but dealing with customer service (and manuals) from China poses another layer of difficulty. Plus the Flashpoint stuff goes on sale!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Gary ­ Wiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Sep 02, 2017 21:33 |  #13

CyberDyne, that's it then, as a business owner ( I own a Sign shop) I realize that customer service is worth a few extra bucks, at least that's the way we feel & run our business

Gary Wiant

HelenOster
That's me!
4,307 posts
Joined Jul 2008
New York
Sep 04, 2017 05:07 |  #14

Gary Wiant wrote in post #18442687 (external link)
If it is because of better service from Adorama thats great, i do most of my purchases from Adorama anyhow.

Thanks

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18443081 (external link)
After getting a few Godox, I personally began buying only Adorama flashpoint. They have great customer service, and here in the states to back the product with their name on it. They are hours away from me by car, and next day with UPS ground. I can call or email and talk to real people the same day.

Thank you - I'm delighted to hear it; we appreciate your business, and that you took the time to comment.

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOsterexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/external link

Gary ­ Wiant
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Joined Sep 2009
Shpenville, Pa
Sep 05, 2017 19:48 |  #15

I ordered today (online) with the help of Manny and didnt realize until i was off the phone that the 2 to 1 cable was backordered. Hopefully it wont be back ordered long.

Gary Wiant

sponsored links

1,252 views & 4 likes for this thread
Need help - External flash battery
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.