Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 31 Aug 2017 (Thursday) 21:44
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

CF vs SD Cards

lewie
Joined Jul 2010
Noosa Heads QLD - Australia
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by lewie. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2017 21:44 |  #1

Hi all, I've been away for a while.
I did some tests today with surprising results. All shot on my Canon 5D Mk III.
I used a Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s (a few years old now) to see how many full size RAW images would buffer before slowing. I got 15 images before I filled the buffer.
But, today I bought a Lexar Professional SD card with a speed of 150MB/s to try and get a faster transfer rate and only managed to get 9 before the buffer filled.
So how can this be? The Lexar (150MB/s) is way more than double the speed of the Sandisk (60MB/s) but only transfers half as many.
What is going on here? Any Ideas?
Cheers
lewie

sponsored links
Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Aug 31, 2017 21:58 |  #2

Did you have a SD card in the slot when you tested the CF card. The write speed of a Canon 5d3 is slower to the SD card slot than it is to the CF slot. If you have a card in both slots, the CF card will not write at a speed faster than the camera can write to the SD card.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,789 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 31, 2017 22:42 |  #3

This is consistent with the 5DIII and it's lack of support for the faster SD cards.

The 5DIII is in fact quite slow at writing to SD, so the faster cards can not be put to good use in that regard.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

lewie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Aug 31, 2017 23:04 as a reply to Nogo's post |  #4

The answer to that is no, I didn't have both cards in at the same time.

lewie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Aug 31, 2017 23:06 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #5

Okay and that makes sense to me. I've just ordered an 80D which only has one SD card slot so I'm hoping it's faster in that.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,789 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Aug 31, 2017 23:27 |  #6

It should be fine in the 80D

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Nogo
I could have been worse....
Joined Dec 2013
All Along the Natchez Trace (Clinton, MS)
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by Nogo. 3 edits done in total.
Aug 31, 2017 23:49 |  #7

I misread your cards. The Lexar 150 mb/s SD card is an UHS-II card. The SD slot in the 5D3 does not support the higher speeds of the II class card. I assumed the new card was the CF card because that is the card of that speed that the camera would support.

The fastest SD UHS-I card is around 95 mb/s. There is no write speed advantage to use a UHS-II card in the 5d3 or even the newer 80d or (7d Mark II, 5d Mark IV, etc.)

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,907 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 01, 2017 01:01 |  #8

I have a Lexar UHS-II card rated at 150mb/s in my 7DII. The 7D2's maximum throughput for SD cards is 105mb/s. It works pretty well on the 7D2. There are just a few cameras from other brands that support the highest SD speeds (which has now surpassed maximum CF speeds). CF specs aren't going to get any faster because those formats are changing to CFast/XQD.

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,789 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Post has been last edited 3 months ago by CyberDyneSystems. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 01:06 |  #9

I am pretty sure the 5DIII won't even use the full speed of a UHS-1, it's not UHS-anything compliant.
Your going to get a little over 20MBs. That's it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

lewie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2010
Sep 01, 2017 01:15 |  #10

Hey thanks everyone for throwing all the info into my thread.
I'm now far wiser thanks to you all :lol:

davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
2,907 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sep 01, 2017 01:16 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #11

I've got to admit, when I first got the 7D2, I slapped in the Lexar card. Then I set to continuous with body cap still on, but kept shutter pressed to hear the 10fps:-) I haven't used continuous much on my 5D3. The main action I take is bicycle racing, but I like taking that one shot that seems to be the height of action(and current DSLRs can have some pretty nice tracking ability).

Canon 5D mk III , 7D mk II
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

-dave-m-
Joined Sep 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Sep 01, 2017 11:37 |  #12

Always best to check what the max write speed of your camera is before buying a memory card, although having a faster card and card reader that supports the speed does come in handy when transferring a large shoot. Canon seems to lag behind in supporting newer memory protocols and formats, sticking with what is fast enough to meet a target buffer size.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

sponsored links

698 views & 1 like for this thread
CF vs SD Cards
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.