Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 01 Sep 2017 (Friday) 03:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Suggestions on promoting reply

this thread is locked
mmmfotografie
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie.
Sep 01, 2017 03:55 |  #1

I am still bugged by having to ignore quoted text because the posting quoted, is right above the reply.

If a member does not see or not use the reply button and the quote button is used without shortening the quoted text to emphasize to what part one want to reply to. The quote is converted to a reply post after showing an option to replier to revert this.
Default: YES, please use reply
Option: NO, I want quote the complete text

Multi quote can be exempted of this rule.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Sep 01, 2017 06:58 |  #2

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18441973 (external link)
I am still bugged by having to ignore quoted text because the posting quoted, is right above the reply.

If a member does not see or not use the reply button and the quote button is used without shortening the quoted text to emphasize to what part one want to reply to. The quote is converted to a reply post after showing an option to replier to revert this.

If I understood you correctly, you want to remove the quote right after when you reply with a "QUOTE" command instead of "REPLY"? If that is the problem:

- when post editor opens with the quoted text:
click/tap that gray undo arrow (looks like)

One "undo" gets you a blank text, just like with a REPLY command.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 01, 2017 08:17 |  #3

Pekka wrote in post #18442030 (external link)
If I understood you correctly, you want to remove the quote right after when you reply with a "QUOTE" command instead of "REPLY"? If that is the problem:

- when post editor opens with the quoted text:
click/tap that gray undo arrow (looks like)

One "undo" gets you a blank text, just like with a REPLY command.

Mmm doesn't like when people do what you did with your post ... choosing to quote rather than reply ... believing that a quote should only be used when the response comes many posts past the post being responded to.

It is a matter of not wanting to scroll past extra space when reading threads.

Non-issue, imo.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 01, 2017 09:20 |  #4

........talk about looking for something to complain about......:cry:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 01, 2017 10:25 |  #5

Pekka wrote in post #18442030 (external link)
If I understood you correctly, you want to remove the quote right after when you reply with a "QUOTE" command instead of "REPLY"?

I think mmm wants the QUOTE button not to start a reply by quoting the whole preceding post. On the first try, QUOTE would do what REPLY does. A member who really wanted to quote the post could then choose to quote it. The reason for promoting this change is that lazy people quote all of a thousand-word post when they want to talk about one sentence in it, and the rest of us have to look at the original thousand words again. This excessive quoting wastes bandwidth, too.

I agree that quoting should be selective. If you need to quote just ten words from a long post, then delete the rest of the post when you quote. I don't know how to make people do this (the question has come up on other forums). I wouldn't want mmm's solution.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 01, 2017 10:29 |  #6

OhLook wrote in post #18442138 (external link)
I agree that quoting should be selective. If you need to quote just ten words from a long post, then delete the rest of the post when you quote. I don't know how to make people do this (the question has come up on other forums). I wouldn't want mmm's solution.

Then this could/should be addressed another way, at least on desktop. Can't think of an easy solution on mobile.

If you highlight a part of someone's comment a quote option should pop up allowing you to just include that highlighted section.

I would not support any other changes to the existing quote functionality, in spite of people using it badly.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.comexternal link
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.comexternal link

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,028 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Sep 01, 2017 10:46 |  #7

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18441973 (external link)

I am still bugged by people that whinge about free to use forums. If you feel that strongly about why not start your own forum, that way you can set it up the way YOU want it to work?

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 01, 2017 10:52 |  #8

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18442067 (external link)
Mmm doesn't like when people do what you did with your post ... choosing to quote rather than reply ... believing that a quote should only be used when the response comes many posts past the post being responded to.

It is a matter of not wanting to scroll past extra space when reading threads.

Non-issue, imo.

I missed this part of it tbh, and I agree. Non-issue. I always quote if I'm responding directly to someone. I reply if I'm responding to the topic in general.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Sep 01, 2017 10:55 |  #9

Colorblinded wrote in post #18442140 (external link)
Then this could/should be addressed another way, at least on desktop. Can't think of an easy solution on mobile.

If you highlight a part of someone's comment a quote option should pop up allowing you to just include that highlighted section.

But who among those inclined to quote excessively will take the trouble to highlight?

I don't deal with mobiles at all and don't know all the ways their display differs from a larger one. On regular computers, at least, when a reply starts by quoting eight photos or a huge amount of text, a notice could come up saying "Do you really need to quote that much?" and recommending an edit.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

Colorblinded
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
Sep 01, 2017 10:57 |  #10

OhLook wrote in post #18442160 (external link)
But who among those inclined to quote excessively will take the trouble to highlight?

I don't deal with mobiles at all and don't know all the ways their display differs from a larger one. On regular computers, at least, when a reply starts by quoting eight photos or a huge amount of text, a notice could come up saying "Do you really need to quote that much?" and recommending an edit.

It's a problem with no easy solution as far as I can see right now. You can dumb it down so some folks stop abusing it, and you make it worse for everyone else.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
Joined Jun 2011
The Uwharrie Mts, NC
Sep 01, 2017 11:47 |  #11

OhLook wrote in post #18442160 (external link)

I just happened to (again) come across an example of what mmm is talking about: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​423278

I appreciate your contributions mmm, but i'm not with you on this one. If it were simply a matter of length I might be more sympathetic to the request.

Pekka has already included a maximum length a quote can occupy, which I think is a good way to deal with quotes of long posts. Scrolling past a single line of type is easy.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Formerly he's gone before apostrophe-gate | Not in gear database: Canon 70-210 3.5-4.5, Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 2x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,176 posts
Joined Dec 2012
Sep 01, 2017 12:45 |  #12

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18442186 (external link)
Pekka has already included a maximum length a quote can occupy

Really? I've seen posts of several long paragraphs quoted in full. Then the quoter adds a reply of a few words. It's particularly absurd when Poster #2 in a thread quotes Post #1.

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 01, 2017 13:20 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #13

I do not agree with you. I don't want split up people and locations where to discuss.

What want to make the discussions more focussed and not be cluttered by redundant information.

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie.
Sep 01, 2017 13:31 |  #14

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18442186 (external link)
I just happened to (again) come across an example of what mmm is talking about: http://photography-on-the.net ...showthread.php?p=18​423278

I appreciate your contributions mmm, but i'm not with you on this one. If it were simply a matter of length I might be more sympathetic to the request.

Two people are talking and are each repeating what the other just said, before saying their own say. This goes on the whole conversation and seems to be very tedious me.

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 13:35 |  #15

It really nice to read that you all think that I am sweet by refering to me by writing "mmm" however I do no touching and especially no licking with strangers.

mmmfotografie ;-)a

sponsored links

1,858 views & 10 likes for this thread
Suggestions on promoting reply
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.