Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk
Thread started 01 Sep 2017 (Friday) 03:55
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Suggestions on promoting reply

this thread is locked
mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 03, 2017 01:01 |  #46

New bottom button, readers screen, total number of bottom buttons: three.

Screen: readers screen. Button name: conversation. Shown: if there is more than one reply to between the users.

Refreshed readers screen after pressing the new button. Shown: more than two postings.

Location reply (last) posting: bottom of the readers screen. Location replied to posting: above the reply posting. Scrollbar activation: if text/ activated pictures take more space than total height of the readers screen. Starting position scrollbar if text is longer than total height reader screen: bottom of screen. Initial available scroll direction on oversize: up. Showing scrollbar: transparency gradient applied to text/picture on the top part of the screen. Direction gradient: max transparency: top, min transparency: bottom. Total height of transparency area: 3 to 5 text lines.

Purpose is to give the reader a screen where the whole conversation between the last reply and the first posting is readable that occurred between the last reply and the first replied to posting. The minimal number of postings displayed: two and the maximum number is the lifetime (real life or forum lifetime) and ability of keeping up producing new text or pictures by the two users. Maximum of participants in conversation: two. Minimum number of participants in a conversation: one (some people talk to themselves).

Warning: the text below can be disturbing to the readers mind!!! Proceed with care and if you are not up to such then leave and never return to this specific part of this posting.

External influenced conversation lifetime: patience of the moderator, cleaning obsolete posts in database, an of course total POTN lifetime, limited by lifetime/ interest by Pekka or successors or availability of currency or other means ;-)a of payment/exchange to keep POTN a-life.

Mean threats, limiting the lifetime of posting and ability to post due to: total black-out, ISIS not liking the Nude section of POTN repeating a "Charlie Hebdo", human population being replaced by robots/AI, invasion terrestrial or non terrestrial, conventional and/or nuclear war, total lifetime of humanity and in case of total automation lifetime earth. Availability electricity is guaranteed by fusion reactors on the Moon with an reservation on a celestial collision.

Question to Pekka, are there plans to expand POTN outside the earth because then I have take more possibilities in account to answer all the possible questions in up front.

--------

Enough bla bla and I am going to get some more sleep that I missed earlier.

mmmfotografie : portfolio (external link) | ModelMayhem profile (external link)

sponsored links
mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie.
Sep 03, 2017 07:28 |  #47

When reading the thread the QUOTE button is replaced by a CONVERSATION button which is only displayed when the REPLY button is used by the poster for that posting.

This is the reader screen that is show when a member clicks / taps the conversation button.

IMAGE: http://mmmfotografie.nl/files/POTN/reader-screen.jpg

In this reader screen the SHOW CONVERSATION button is shown or active when there are more that two postings between the two members in this specific thread. To read the whole conversation one has use the scroll bar or scroll wheel on the mouse and the the direction is first up before one can scroll down again.

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 03, 2017 07:52 as a reply to post 18443121 |  #48

I made a mock-up of the reader screen.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 03, 2017 11:35 |  #49

It's hard for me to believe that we have burned through four pages of 'discussion' so that one member of a forum of several thousand people can have one very specific thing corrected that seems to bother him. One thing that doesn't seem to bother many, if any, others I might add.

But, who am I?

Carry on with your frivolity. :-)

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie.
Sep 03, 2017 12:51 as a reply to saea501's post |  #50

I believe that one can evolve. The discussing completed the setup I was thinking of. There are already mayor parts of the workings in place on the moment so. Structual there are no changes needed.

The technical work is into implement the reader screen. None of yhe current available options are taken away and the single qoute is just two clicks further away, than in the current workings of POTN.

The members have to give up the easy access to the single quote and get back a screen, that displays the whole conversation in one reader screen. Doing away with obsolete information and bundels the chain of postings that the two members exchanged in a chronological way. On the bottom the last post and scroll up to first replied to post.

This a big step for the members who are used to 'blindly' press the quote button and are so cluthering the view, reducing readability in a major way.

They still can do that, but not blindly any more. :-)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
15,177 posts
Gallery: 64 photos
Joined Dec 2012
California: SF Bay Area
Sep 03, 2017 13:06 |  #51

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18443599 (external link)
Doing away with obsolete information and bundels the chain of postings that two members exchanged.

How many series of posts are dialogues that consist only of multiple exchanges between two members? When there's a discussion, more than two usually join in.

This [Is] a big step for the members [who] are used to blindly press the quote button

I would say "conveniently" rather than "blindly."

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS FOR YOU: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.) | IMAGE EDITING OK

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,030 posts
Joined Nov 2009
The Rhubarb Triangle
Sep 03, 2017 13:28 |  #52

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18443403 (external link)
When reading the thread the QUOTE button is replaced by a CONVERSATION button which is only displayed when the REPLY button is used by the poster for that posting.

This is the reader screen that is show when a member clicks / taps the conversation button.

QUOTED IMAGE

In this reader screen the SHOW CONVERSATION button is shown or active when there are more that two postings between the two members in this specific thread. To read the whole conversation one has use the scroll bar or scroll wheel on the mouse and the the direction is first up before one can scroll down again.

That is just a long-winded, convoluted way of doing what we can already do.

Those that can, do. Those that can't whinge.

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 03, 2017 13:52 as a reply to john crossley's post |  #53

Yes, now drive cars and not travel any more by horse couch. It is not better for the environment but is that faster and easier.

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
Joined Jan 2010
Florida
Sep 03, 2017 14:09 |  #54

OhLook wrote in post #18443613 (external link)
I would say "conveniently" rather than "blindly."

john crossley wrote in post #18443640 (external link)
That is just a long-winded, convoluted way of doing what we can already do.

Yes, but one member got what he wanted. Apparently, that's all that matters.

........whew......I'm so glad that's taken care of. :rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 03, 2017 14:14 |  #55

OhLook wrote in post #18443613 (external link)
How many series of posts are dialogues that consist only of multiple exchanges between two members? When there's a discussion, more than two usually join in.

Multi quote is untouched just like split quote. Only single quote is addressed and that can be only between two person or the same person.

The chain exists of replied to and reply postings between the same member(s).
The thread is shown without the single quotes and if they are present then there is the MORE button which replaces the QUOTE button (this a shorter name covering and drawing attention of the reader).

Multiple members with single quotes are ignored and only the reply starts the chain to which it replied to.
In a later the stage multiple single + multi quote can be sequenced in chronologically way but it will reduce also the clearness of the suggested reader screen.

Personally it would not go that way.

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 03, 2017 14:26 as a reply to saea501's post |  #56

I am not alone, I am just not afraid to sticking my neck out. It makes one not populair in a group I know.

I will not answer to any more psychological sides in this treadh.

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,238 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2001
Hellsinki, Finland
Sep 03, 2017 15:34 |  #57

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18443599 (external link)
I believe that one can evolve. The discussing completed the setup I was thinking of. There are already mayor parts of the workings in place on the moment so. Structual there are no changes needed.

The technical work is into implement the reader screen. None of yhe current available options are taken away and the single qoute is just two clicks further away, than in the current workings of POTN.

The members have to give up the easy access to the single quote and get back a screen, that displays the whole conversation in one reader screen. Doing away with obsolete information and bundels the chain of postings that the two members exchanged in a chronological way. On the bottom the last post and scroll up to first replied to post.

This a big step for the members who are used to 'blindly' press the quote button and are so cluthering the view, reducing readability in a major way.

They still can do that, but not blindly any more. :-)

Members may quote from any threads they think is relevant to the discussion, they can refer to photos that are in other threads and posts. The threads are not discussions between two persons, so viewing only those would omit a lot. Also, posts which have been done using "POST TO THREAD" are essentially replies to the first post of that thread (even if the reply is quoted with something else and as a reply to some specific post), which would not fit well in when ordering by who replied to who.

What you suggest would essentially mean a more complex user-interface, more commands for rarely needed features for things that can be done in conventional methods like opening tabs and clicking links.

Thanks for the time you took to explain this, and although it may not be implemented you have brought this viewpoint to my attention.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 1.4 Changelog (installed here now)

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Post has been last edited 2 months ago by mmmfotografie. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 03, 2017 16:52 |  #58

I was writing on my small tablet a reply until the battery was depleted in he middle of the reply. I am depleted too so I will say thanks also for your time and till the next opportunity on this.

Marcel

mmmfotografie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,059 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Utrecht Netherlands
Sep 04, 2017 03:49 |  #59

Fullscreen view:

IMAGE: http://mmmfotografie.nl/files/POTN/read-fullpage.jpg

sponsored links

1,859 views & 10 likes for this thread
Suggestions on promoting reply
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff AMASS Forum Software Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.