Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 01 Sep 2017 (Friday) 11:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

back up for home and road

Ltdave
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2012
the farthest point east in michigan
Sep 01, 2017 11:57 |  #1

not a professional like most pros. i shoot a few things for pay but id say 80% of my shooting is family, fun and personal interest...

my laptop has a 512mb hard drive that is partitioned for programs and for files. the files are some of my photos (that seem to get shared or posted online someplace with a little bit of regularity or viewing) excel, word, pdfs etc...

i have a toshiba 1tb usb external drive with my main storage. yes i should have another off-site back up copy but at this point i dont...

ive seen where i can get an ethernet connected external hard drive that connects to the router. nothing of any serious personal matter would be stored on it, just photos and some music or video files...

would one of those work for my back up? i take my toshiba with me when i travel because i like to put a copy of my images on it as well as the laptop in the event that the computer gets wrecked and im getting leery of taking the usb hd with me in case something happens to it...

in the past ive tried to manage DVD backups and zip disk backups with my desktop hard drive and it gets very overwhelming sometimes. in some cases very quickly too...

im going to be replacing my laptop in the near future so i thought this might be a good time to go all in and set everything up the right way...

tim
Light Bringer
50,866 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 01, 2017 22:45 |  #2

I think your "ethernet connected external drive" is a NAS - network attached storage. It's not portable, and anything in the same building as your computer is a copy, not a backup. You really need an offsite backup. If you need more storage space, sure, get a NAS, but don't think of it as a backup.

You could get an external disk, plug it in, and run a backup to that disk. You'd want to use software that creates incremental backups, not copies, as that gives you better protection.

I suggest you do two things:
- Get BackBlaze as one backup
- Get an external USB hard drive, buy backup software, use it regularly and store the disk offsite.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

424 views & 0 likes for this thread
back up for home and road
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.