Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 Sep 2017 (Friday) 12:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Have you ever sat down and thought...

Talley
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 01, 2017 12:12 |  #1

When it comes to my photography... being a dad... what is best for your family? Everyone can see my Canon kit in my signature. But I've had issues recently where I'm allowed to photograph recitals of my kids but no video since there was a video guy... but having a mirrorless camera with a viewfinder means I could video and nobody would even know the difference. Plus we travel 3-4 times a year and something like a Sony/Fuji system would have it's benefits during travel.

Anybody ever say to themselves... what gear would fit the family needs best?

5D4 |12mm 2.8 FE | 16-35L 2.8 III | Σ 35A | Σ 50A | Σ 85A | 200 F2 IS | 1.4xIII
X-T20 | X-E3 | 18/2 | 35/1.4 | 56/1.2 | 18-135
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 01, 2017 13:25 |  #2

God every day, it's killing me.....

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2007
Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Sep 01, 2017 13:36 |  #3

I've thought about this; two of my cameras can shoot video. I don't think a video can compete with a photo that captures a key moment. People will look at photos on a wall every day. It takes a few seconds or less to appreciate it anew. How long does it take to set up a video for viewing? How many times will people view it? What if you had scores of them, each taking ten minutes to watch?

I had a conversation with a videographer one time. He was documenting a family event that I was shooting. I asked him how often he thought the family would view his video. He said once when they received it and then maybe ten years later at a special event like a birthday party or anniversary.

Without a doubt live action is enjoyable. It has appeal that a still photo does not. It's just not as accessible.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​texternal link
Editing ok

kmilo
98 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Sep 01, 2017 13:51 |  #4

I think about this all the time. I think a lot of mom's use Facebook and Instagram as their "family photo album" which makes short (15 seconds or less) video clips awesome, but a full video of an event is about the most boring thing in the world. Generally speaking, I agree that photos are far superior to video for documenting family life.

I can barely afford this hobby

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 01, 2017 13:56 |  #5

Good point. Then you also must ask is it worth shooting 4K for the sake of massive storage for something your only going to watch a few times in a lifetime

My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 14:25 |  #6

Yessir, all the time. I don't want the best kit, I want the kit that will get the most use with my family when we are doing stuff, be it couch potatoing the day away, or going some where special. There are days where no kit goes and the cellphone is it. My smallest portable "camera" kit is the EOS-M with a 22mm F2 pancake and a wee 90EX flash attached. It's small and powerful and kills a cellphone in low light and the flash is very good at close range with TTL for fill. Other days, I'm lugging my 1Ds II and a big lens and a full size flash because its not too inconvenient to what else we're doing. Either way, I bring light because that makes more difference than other camera gizmos, whatever lenses, tech, etc.

My profession is medical with a stay at home wife & kid. I'm just a dad who likes photography and fishing here in the swamp and west coast of Florida. I have more into very niche genres of photography than the basic family stuff with my lights and different cameras/lenses because I typically use 10~20 year old gear for most of it, but I have more in lights and stuff. My astro stuff was more than any of my terrestrial stuff.

But, I do always struggle with wanting to have a camera around with light, and wanting to keep the size down. But my big struggle is once we're there and I have my small kit (EOS-M and 22mm pancake), I end up wanting my 5D classic and a 35mm F2 IS instead (same FOV and speed, but I just like the look files of the old 5D better than the newer EOS-M). So I often just suck it up and take the bigger camera (no grip) and its fine. But sometimes its not fine, don't like the attention, takes up too much space, etc, and want the EOS-M that no one cares about, but I just don't like the files from it. Sigh!

I end up packing a backpack with options and pick the option for the day from there knowing I can change it up if I need to.

But yes it's a struggle!

We print our photos and hang them.
And I keep most of my photos of my family/daughter on my phone, instead of the old "pics of kids in the wallet" approach, and I look through them every day at work and show others (instead of just sharing on facebook, I physically use the phone and share by showing on the phone, etc). So I do appreciate having good photos to enjoy each time, because I do it often, and I come home to prints of them too.

My daughter loves to look at them all the time. So it motivates me to keep doing it.

I'm a nut, so here's my typical "dad grab & go" kit for "everything and anything" with my family (I always take light!!). These days I favor a light (YN685 & TX622) and an ultrawide (17-40L, cheap!) on a small 5Dc (cheap!) without a grip (compared to my 1D's and big lenses, 600ws, etc). I'm more and more not taking the EOS-M as much. Small is great. But I just don't like the files! I take this into the water at the beach. It's old and cheap stuff. Gets the job done.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4238/35761960236_7b3ab3cbe7_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Wuao​Rj] (external link)IMG_0947 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4235/34937790193_294d990261_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Veki​NZ] (external link)IMG_6124 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4258/35577678372_b41c6e6b73_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WcSU​gN] (external link)IMG_6082 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 01, 2017 14:31 |  #7

Completely understand and agree with you Mal.

My Gear Archive

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
5,937 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Bourbon, Indiana - USA
Sep 01, 2017 14:31 |  #8

Wow! What a great question. I have never considered that before. My conclusion? With the (somewhere in the neighborhood of) $15,000 worth of camera gear in my closet, I could pay off my motorcycle, pay off my car, and spend a week on the beach in Maui with my wife (and some VERY dark sunglasses). :)

Tom

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 01, 2017 14:36 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18442305 (external link)
Wow! What a great question. I have never considered that before. My conclusion? With the (somewhere in the neighborhood of) $15,000 worth of camera gear in my closet, I could pay off my motorcycle, pay off my car, and spend a week on the beach in Maui with my wife (and some VERY dark sunglasses). :)

Well maybe not trading the camera gear for vacations I'd never do that because I'm a guy who very much appreciates equity. Camera equipment holds very nice equity vs other hobbies like fast cars which typically loses alot of value.

But I've always strived for ultimate IQ but in the end I think to myself... what is the best camera equipment "for my family". And Honestly I look at my wifes camera kit with major jealousy because it does a better job with that.

Fuji is soon to release a XE3 which I'm very much leaning towards and supposedly an X-T2s with IBIS and that would be the ultimate camera to have IBIS on fuji 1.4 glass.

So while I want ultimate IQ... Fuji or olympus or sony or whatever would offer 95% IQ at a much more family friendly system. I lean toward Fuji more because of a cost factor. It's 5D3 equal in IQ if not better and the cost of the system is more than half what a Sony system would cost...

..I know you guys would say Sony gets you best of everything but then again it's "Cost" is not necessarily "family friendly" either.

My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by MalVeauX. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 15:02 |  #10

I definitely look at Fuji & Sony often these days. I love the appeal, love the size. Don't love prices! Fuji glass kills me for cost. I really dig those wide fast primes, but man, they are spendy! Love the new Sony sensors, I could probably get away without a flash more often making the gear less gear to carry around. But, again, cost puts me off. I keep my cost in photography small, but my output big (the challenge to do well with little is a drive too).

I have very little money into my camera systems for terrestrial photography in general. I try to do good with simple stuff. Over the years I found that I don't need autofocus hardly at all for a lot of family stuff. I rarely need a fancy fast lens (despite enjoying them). The one thing I find I really need to be able to bring to the table is a light.

I always have to remind myself, when I'm thinking of buying something for photography, if it will tell the story any better, when I look back at a photograph later on. And if I'm not planning on printing it, telling a story, or sharing with others physically, then is it a photograph I need to really worry about taking? I'm not into snap-shotting for the sake of taking an image just to not care about it later. My wife takes care of that with 20k iphone images that we never look at ever again. At the end of the day, I'm just a dad trying to capture some of our story for when I'm gone for her to look back on fondly, but with some quality to it.

Our yard flooded a few months back and I had a lake front yard for a bit. My daughter (3 at the time) wanted to run through it with her rain boots and it was still raining. My old 5D classic and a 90mm macro lens at the time was going to have to do the job because we wanted to play and have fun in the rain, and of course, I used a flash for fill (ETTL & HSS, best automated tool in photography for me!). And its this stuff that keeps me shooting, because we love these photos and print/share, and again my daughter loves to look back and remember it and talk about it. You can do really great work with minimal inexpensive gear. Granted, realastically this was a "large" camera kit (though most of us are used to these things around here).

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3703/33798294116_1de60d6b1d_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/TuD6​jU] (external link)IMG_5461 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

I could have done it with a Fuji. Just don't have one because they cost more than I'm typically willing to spend right now on a camera since I have old working stuff that does this already, just bigger.

Very best,

thc1979
Joined Jun 2014
East of England
Post has been edited 21 days ago by thc1979.
Sep 01, 2017 15:23 |  #11

I thought the same towards the end of last year. We had 3 small holidays last year as it was the last year we'd be able to go away out of school holidays (when it's cheaper). I got fed up with lugging medium format and full frame cameras and lenses around and earlier this year added an Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II plus a few lenses to the ever growing collection. I have to say I am amazed with the quality and a small kit is just right for our little days out and holidays.

The four thirds sensor in the EM1.2 punches well above its weight.

Canon EOS 1D X Mark II | Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II, Tough TG-4 | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, TS-E 24.0mm f/3.5 L II, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 16-35 f/4 L IS USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | Samyang 24mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon Speedlite 430EX II, Dedicated flash ST-E3 RT controller , Speedlite 600EX-RT | Yongnuo YN 600EX RT

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,165 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by welshwizard1971. 3 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 15:53 |  #12

I keep getting dragged back to the fuji's, I did have a X100S a while back, loved the IQ, but the slow focus and viewfinder was killing me, but, apparently much better now, but if I get the XT-2, I could change lenses, but would I then keep my Canon stuff, and I'm really familiar with my canon stuff, I'm confident with it, lots of accessories, good lenses, grrrrr!!!!

This is the favourite shot I've taken recently, very dark on a phone, blurry, grainy, IQ wise it's shocking. But, it's my mother in law with my youngest in a wind machine, and it captures the joy of the moment, the movement, his mad hair, the occasion, my 5Diii and L lenses would have missed this as I'd have been piddling around with them, I just grabbed the phone and pressed the shutter, job done, moment captured, but would a Fuji have done a better job, would I have even taken it with me.....

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4347/36795182702_a133fc9a8b_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Y4sV​TL] (external link)

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been last edited 21 days ago by MalVeauX. 4 edits done in total.
Sep 01, 2017 16:05 |  #13

That's the struggle. The best gear for family photographs is really the one you have on you and the one you'll use. As you pointed out, if you had a big bulky thing with settings to fiddle with, would you miss the moment? Probably true! If you were prepared, could have you gotten a better photograph? I don't know. Maybe one without blur, grain, etc sure, but "better" is too hard to define. A good photograph doesn't have to have the best quality in certain ways--the best photograph tells the story. I think its hard sometimes to split away from pixel peeping, worrying about grain or not, sharp or not, blurry or not, etc, and instead go back to focusing on what the photograph's purpose is, which is to basically hold a memory and re-tell the story. You see people take photographs and induce grain, purposefully blur them, basically degrade image quality, for the sake of what the photograph evokes due to that.

This exact dilemma is why I think my favorite thread on POTN is the family photojournalism thread. It grounds me and reminds me what photography is for, from the perspective of family use and purpose. I had to remind myself that you don't need thin depth of field. You don't have to have perfect exposure. You don't have to have color. It's going back to the story telling of photography, and less worrying about technicalities of image quality and attributes. Lose the gear side of requiring something specific to be able to do photography and instead work with the moment, capture the moment, and do it with what you have, not what you think would do it "better."

For example, I recently started wanting to get a monochrome camera for this. I have a monochrome sensor camera that I use for astro, for the sensitivity of true monochrome. The only way I can get that in a system like a little camera for terrestrial use is basically a Leica. Talking about costly small form factor! Gah. But the reason I was interested in it was for simplicity. Color has a psychology attached to it; I can push reds and greens and blues in a photo with saturation and contrast and most brains will have a positive response, we're wired to, but does that mean its good? No. I feel color can really distract from really studying a photograph without the brain fooling around with being attracted color. I certainly don't need the cost of a Leica just for this purpose and carry that around to get damaged. Too expensive to be a beater. So a 5Dc is my beater, and I go mono in post. Sigh!

++++++++++

Some of my favorites to tell that story recently (stuck in the house with all these storms lately). They tell the story, evoke a memory, there's more to a photograph than technical stuff. Some just "work" because of what they stir up in us. Family photography is that for me. They grow up, split up, etc. I want the story & memory. I know I won't care if it's not perfectly sharp, or grainy, when I just want to remember them.

In the 2nd image, you can't see it at this angle/resolution, but the image on the fridge under the X magnet above her head is the same composition and position when she was a few months old getting into this fridge as a toddler, printed and still on the fridge to remind us of the time. She's still doing it, years later. Still capturing the story. Story within a story, granted I would be the only one to know it, but on my full res photo I can see the photo still in this photo and remember that one too. I love that kind of stuff.

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4334/36069142050_6142fbdac3.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WXiM​iu] (external link)IMG_8422 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4312/35877231060_17c693fd5e.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/WEmb​Rj] (external link)IMG_8417 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

... Or times when I was shooting manual focus, and those moments that remind you of things you just cannot recreate if you tried:

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/332/19351193490_19cd634817.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vtZV​D5] (external link)IMG_4518 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

Talley
THREAD ­ STARTER
Talley Whacker
Joined Dec 2011
Houston
Sep 01, 2017 16:09 |  #14

Take my drone for example... Phantom 3 Pro. Love it... but big to carry with and hard to travel with. The new mavic pro would fit in my existing camera bag....

the best drone is the one you take with you!

Oh... Mal... that photo of your girl in the rain is absolutely amazing man. Love it!

My Gear Archive

MalVeauX
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Sep 01, 2017 16:50 |  #15

I've wanted a drone so bad. I just like the idea of taking the drone out to the beach or in my 5 acre field with the family and doing some interesting wide angle from above vertical shots. Unreal, can't be done with a phone, etc. But like you pointed out, you gotta take that big sucker out, control it, program it, etc. Not too costly for it, but I know I wouldn't take it out often enough because of the difficulty.. but man I think about it and want one just for that.

Very best,

sponsored links

2,101 views & 34 likes for this thread
Have you ever sat down and thought...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.