Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 Sep 2017 (Friday) 12:12
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Have you ever sat down and thought...

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2014
Ireland
Sep 05, 2017 11:56 |  #61

I agree on the phone front, great for little videos there and then and the 4K is not bad, plus the 240fps is a lot of fun for the kids. That did enjoy me chasing them round the house with a stabilisation rig for my Fuji but I'm hardly going to get that set up on the fly just in case. So for video the iPhone [In my case] rocks.

I'm happy with my existing set up for my family needs, usually just bring a couple [or three] lenses and a body [or two] in a small bag like the Ona Bowery. I can shoot away all day with that including their sports days, school plays, as well as just day to day happenings. I any of them want a more formal [LIghted] shot they'll just call over and sit in. I'm not about to go dragging a load of modifiers and stands and lights about at a family do unless that's expressly why I'm there.

I just like having a couple of primes and let the day unfold in front of the lens, more of the feeling of the moment when I do that but I know others prefer a different shot from time to time. Just getting out and shooting and never mind fretting over what gear you 'need' to bring with you would be a lovely feeling.

Cameras: X-PRO2, X-T1, X-E2
Lenses: XF16mm F1.4, XF 18mm F2, XF 23mm F1.4, XF 35mm F1.4, XF 56mm F1.2, XF 90mm F2, XF 16-55 F2.8, Samyang 8mm F2.8 Fisheye & 12mm F2, Zeiss 35mm F2.4 MC
Gear: AD600BM, Nissan i40, AL-H198, ThinkTank Airport Security 2, Peli 1514, Ona Bowery

flickr (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Monkey ­ moss
885 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Bristol, England
Sep 06, 2017 16:46 |  #62

Talley wrote in post #18444344 (external link)
Ya. But take you and your wants out.

IMHO, it's wrong to exclude your own wants completely. I'm selfish sometimes, I have a life, a hobby, and I want to be able to photograph stuff when the moment arises. Its tough having kids but we all obviously do lots of stuff with them. Do I think my kids want me to enjoy myself as well... yeah, I reckon they do.

One thing I have made a conscious effort on, is to not constantly have the camera, or phone, in hand taking photos of them. Enjoy the moment without pics every now and again. And again if i see anything i want to photograph for myself, when I'm with kids, then I only stop for a really good photo op, because you don't get much time to think (!!) and I want to spend as much time with the monsters as I can :-D

Jon :cool::oops::D:cry::confused::(:lol:
Gear: 5Diii, 16-35 f4, 24-70 f2.8 ii, 70-300L, 35mm f2 IS, 85mm 1.8
My Flickr (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
Joined Feb 2013
Florida
Post has been edited 13 days ago by MalVeauX.
Sep 06, 2017 17:26 |  #63

There is definitely something to be said about being in the photo with your family. I've gone through a lot of lengths to be able to do a lot of selfies with the family. They're more into it that way. Also, letting your family take photos of you is another twist. My daughter loves to do it. Pretty soon everyone wants a go with the camera. Hard to do that with a big camera that is heavy and bulky. Really great with cellphones of course, and other small camera systems (rangefinder style, compact, etc).

Luckily my other half is at least comfortable with my 5Dc and a short lens so I can get some photos with my daughter too that are fun:

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1473/26310904920_911ddcd740.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/G61g​nJ] (external link)IMG_2796 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

And every now and then, I take stuff to be able to do a little family selfie stuff on location. Nothing fancy. But better than a cellphone image (at least back then; today's phones can actually do pretty well for small prints).

Here, we did one with lighting on the beach near where we live with a cheap old Rebel and a speedlite at close range and I have a wireless trigger in my hand:

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3933/15475305689_a6d382e17f.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/pzuZ​ek] (external link)IMG_0982 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

These days though, I really would rather just set my EOS-M on a little mini-tripod with tragic lantern installed and do selfies with it that way when the girls are feeling like doing a family shot.

I'd love to have a compact that can do wireless remote and see it on a cellphone to compose, etc. That would be awesome. But, costly...

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

2,024 views & 34 likes for this thread
Have you ever sat down and thought...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.