Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 02 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 04:17
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Wedding Video advice

rawshorty
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
Canberra Australia
Sep 02, 2017 04:17 |  #1

My best friends daughter has asked me to take video of her wedding. I don't do video (i did tell her this) but she can't afford a pro so i will be doing this for her.

My question is, what lens should i purchase to do this? I will be using my 7Dii. I would like auto focus and not sure if what i have will do this. I have a Sigma 17-50 that i think would be a good focal range but i assume i would have to manual focus. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I prefer to be in the bush with the animals than a crowded city.
Shorty
Flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Colin ­ Glover
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
Southport nr Liverpool United Kingdom
Sep 06, 2017 11:59 |  #2

7Dii will do video. And it's perfect length for the wedding. Try and keep it wide, as zoo.img I. During service will change focusing and might blur for a second or two wist it refocuses. Also place it where the photographer won't keep going in and out of shot.

Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 600D, EF-S 18-55 ii, EF 55-200 USM ii, EF-S 75-300 iii, Tamron 28-80, Sigma 70-210. Pentax 50mm, Pentax 135mm, EF-S 55-250, Raynox Macro adapter, Neewer filters (CPL, UV, FLD & ND4), Fuji HS20 EXR (30X zoom ) & cable release, Yongnuo 560 iii & Luxon 9800A manual flashguns for the Fuji, Hama Star 63 tripod, Hongdek RC-6 remote control, Velbon DF 40 www.point-n-shoot.co.uk website.

PhotosGuy
74,717 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Sep 06, 2017 12:15 |  #3

Moving images with sound is a whole different bag of worms, & more videos have been ruined by bad sound than by bad camera/editing work. I suggest that you look into a wireless mic that you can attach to the groom.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

rawshorty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
Canberra Australia
Sep 07, 2017 15:27 |  #4

PhotosGuy wrote in post #18445959 (external link)
Moving images with sound is a whole different bag of worms, & more videos have been ruined by bad sound than by bad camera/editing work. I suggest that you look into a wireless mic that you can attach to the groom.

I won't need to worry about sound. The groom is a DJ and he will replace the sound with music. Good idea about the mic but Aussie blokes say some stupid things and might not go down well with the bride :lol:

I prefer to be in the bush with the animals than a crowded city.
Shorty
Flickrexternal link

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,493 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Sep 07, 2017 15:54 |  #5

If at all possible, use an IS lens. It makes a big difference in video if you're handholding.

PhotosGuy
74,717 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited 1 month ago by PhotosGuy.
Sep 07, 2017 17:20 |  #6

rawshorty wrote in post #18446824 (external link)
I won't need to worry about sound. The groom is a DJ and he will replace the sound with music. Good idea about the mic but Aussie blokes say some stupid things and might not go down well with the bride :lol:

I guess I should have said that you mic the groom to get the brides audio & it's easier to hide the mic pack on him. Nobody cares what he says & you can edit him as much as you want. But be aware that it's all about the bride to the bride & the MOB.
https://en.wikipedia.o​rg/wiki/Lavalier_micro​phone (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

sponsored links

569 views & 3 likes for this thread
Wedding Video advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.