Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup
Thread started 02 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 06:07
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

File Sync software for backup?

virsago_mk2
577 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Perth (Australia) & Semarang (Indonesia)
Post has been edited 1 month ago by virsago_mk2.
Sep 02, 2017 06:07 |  #1

Anyone got a good recommendation on a file/folder sync software for Windows?

Preferrably that can run automatically in background (connect & forget).

I've been using MirrorFolder for 6 years (recommended by one of the members here). But the latest built 5.1.2 isn't stable for Windows 10 & always give BSOD occasionally. I've since uninstall it & get no more BSODs.

Can anyone help?

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,354 posts
Joined May 2003
Southeast Pennsylvania
Post has been last edited 1 month ago by John from PA. 2 edits done in total.
Sep 02, 2017 09:49 |  #2

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #18442682 (external link)
Anyone got a good recommendation on a file/folder sync software for Windows?

Preferrably that can run automatically in background (connect & forget).

I've been using MirrorFolder for 6 years (recommended by one of the members here). But the latest built 5.1.2 isn't stable for Windows 10 & always give BSOD occasionally. I've since uninstall it & get no more BSODs.

Can anyone help?

The latest build is not 5.1.2 but 5.1.320. The version history remarks that some fixes address BSOD and the product is now stable with Win 10. See http://www.techsoftpl.​com/backup/verlog.php (external link). You can also download the latest by using the appropriate link. The latest build is free to users that had MF v5.0 / v4.x. Still have your license?

I have to say I actually don't see a 5.1.2 in the version history so maybe that was a typo. But if you have been happy with the product makes sure you try the latest.

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 02, 2017 13:03 |  #3

If that doesn't work out, take a look at Second Copy.

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 02, 2017 16:14 |  #4

SyncBack is excellent. Stable. And FREE.

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 03, 2017 14:36 |  #5

Sync is NOT BACKUP. It's Sync. It leaves you vulnerable to viruses, adware, etc.

Read this thread.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Moose408
Joined Jan 2006
San Jose, CA
Sep 04, 2017 19:57 |  #6

I use Goodsync and disable the sync (i.e. only copy one way from master to backup). You can have multiple jobs and it does it all in the background. My local files get copied to 3 backups every night, and into the cloud as bandwidth will allow.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

dhyana
49 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 04, 2017 20:25 |  #7

FreefileSync has worked great for me.
You can create and run batch files via Task Scheduler.

https://www.freefilesy​nc.org (external link)

"Visits always give pleasure - if not the arrival, the departure."
- a Portuguese proverb

Archibald
You must be quackers!
Joined May 2008
Calgary
Sep 04, 2017 21:04 |  #8

dhyana wrote in post #18444631 (external link)

I'm also quite happy with FreeFileSync, but use it manually only. I inspect what it wants to do to make sure it is OK before doing the sync. If I made a big mistake in the source drive without realizing it, I don't want to propagate that to the target drive.

Hasselblad 500 C/M with 80mm/2.8 Zeiss Planar (trying to sell it); Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

nordlysBW
319 posts
Joined Jan 2010
Sep 08, 2017 15:01 |  #9

I use FreeFileSync in basically the same way as Archibald and have, after many years of use, found that it is one of the easiest ways for me of keeping six to eight copies of my files on as many hard disks stored in three different locations.

virsago_mk2
THREAD ­ STARTER
577 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Perth (Australia) & Semarang (Indonesia)
Post has been edited 1 month ago by virsago_mk2.
Sep 11, 2017 03:32 |  #10

John from PA wrote in post #18442803 (external link)
The latest build is not 5.1.2 but 5.1.320. The version history remarks that some fixes address BSOD and the product is now stable with Win 10. See http://www.techsoftpl.​com/backup/verlog.php (external link). You can also download the latest by using the appropriate link. The latest build is free to users that had MF v5.0 / v4.x. Still have your license?

I have to say I actually don't see a 5.1.2 in the version history so maybe that was a typo. But if you have been happy with the product makes sure you try the latest.

Soryr my bad it was a typo. Yes version 5.1.320, it still gave me BSOD occasionally. It was running great for Windows 7 & 8, but ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 it made my PC crawl & BSOD on wake.

tim wrote in post #18443681 (external link)
Sync is NOT BACKUP. It's Sync. It leaves you vulnerable to viruses, adware, etc.

Read this thread.

Thanks for the lecture mate, but this is not applicable for me. I was trying to sync just files from my internal HDD in my main PC to my portable HDD for my Surface Pro 2. I wasn't trying to sync OS drive.

Moose408 wrote in post #18444608 (external link)
I use Goodsync and disable the sync (i.e. only copy one way from master to backup). You can have multiple jobs and it does it all in the background. My local files get copied to 3 backups every night, and into the cloud as bandwidth will allow.

Cheers for the suggestion mate on the Goodsync. Is the app optimised i.e. not resources hungry on CPU & RAM? Can it runs on background & auto-sync external drive straight away?

dhyana wrote in post #18444631 (external link)

Archibald wrote in post #18444662 (external link)
I'm also quite happy with FreeFileSync, but use it manually only. I inspect what it wants to do to make sure it is OK before doing the sync. If I made a big mistake in the source drive without realizing it, I don't want to propagate that to the target drive.

nordlysBW wrote in post #18447543 (external link)
I use FreeFileSync in basically the same way as Archibald and have, after many years of use, found that it is one of the easiest ways for me of keeping six to eight copies of my files on as many hard disks stored in three different locations.

Thanks again for the suggestion of FreeFileSync. The UI doesn't look very intuitive but I got to give a try.

Gear: Here | Portfolio: Flickr (external link)

Moose408
Joined Jan 2006
San Jose, CA
Sep 16, 2017 12:44 |  #11

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #18449082 (external link)
Cheers for the suggestion mate on the Goodsync. Is the app optimised i.e. not resources hungry on CPU & RAM? Can it runs on background & auto-sync external drive straight away?.

It runs in the background, it is fairly resource hungry but you can limit it.

For auto-sync do you mean that it detects when the drive is attached and starts a sync? That is not my use case but I don't think so. I leave my external drive plugged in most of the time and have scheduled syncs every night.

Canon 5DmkII | 24-105mm f/4.0L IS | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f/4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | 50mm f/1.8
Photography Blogexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Model Mayhemexternal link

timd35
Joined Dec 2012
Dallas / Fort Worth, Texas
Sep 16, 2017 13:14 |  #12

I use Goodsync also on my main computer and backup data on both my wife's computer and mine to a NAS. I setup the shares and then setup jobs in Goodsync to backup the shares every night. I schedule the one way backups in the middle of the night when we are not on the computers. Any changes from the day is backed up every night.

'Imagination is more important than knowledge.'
—Albert Einstein
http://timdahlphotogra​phy.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,842 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Wellington, New Zealand
Sep 16, 2017 17:16 |  #13

virsago_mk2 wrote in post #18449082 (external link)
Thanks for the lecture mate, but this is not applicable for me. I was trying to sync just files from my internal HDD in my main PC to my portable HDD for my Surface Pro 2. I wasn't trying to sync OS drive.

Your thread title says backup, not sync. Many people here have no idea about the difference and need a bit of a kick to get the idea.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mike_d
Goldmember
4,962 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Sep 17, 2017 16:32 |  #14

tim wrote in post #18453812 (external link)
Your thread title says backup, not sync. Many people here have no idea about the difference and need a bit of a kick to get the idea.

Sadly many people don't get the difference until disaster strikes.

eddieb1
673 posts
Joined Apr 2013
Oregon
Sep 18, 2017 14:23 as a reply to mike_d's post |  #15

How about enlightening us?ߘ

sponsored links

949 views & 1 like for this thread
File Sync software for backup?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.