Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 02 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 11:05
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Alternative to Canon 70-200

CheshireCat
Goldmember
2,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008
*** vanished ***
Sep 04, 2017 02:08 as a reply to post 18444037 |  #16

^^^ Not to scale. The f/2.8 is quite bigger than it appears from your photo.

1Dx, 5D2 and some lenses

sponsored links
Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 04, 2017 05:28 |  #17

sorry, my bad.  :p

IMAGE: http://hikeitlikeit.com/wordpress_files/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/photo_70-200-compared.jpg

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

Pigpen101
Joined Mar 2017
Sep 04, 2017 08:13 as a reply to Ah-keong's post |  #18

I know a couple of pros that own both the F/2.8 & F/4 for NFL games. If it's a daylight game, the bring the F/4 due to it's size and weight. You won't go wrong with either when it comes to IQ.

Eric ­ Hopp
Joined Apr 2017
Campbell, CA, USA
Sep 04, 2017 11:47 |  #19

I would also say go for the Canon 70-200mm f4L IS USM lens as well. One of the sharpest telephoto lenses I have, and fun to shoot. You can get some very good, or like new lenses on Amazon for around $700 - $800 now, half the price of what the 70-200mm f4 L IS II lenses currently are going for.

You can get the Canon 70-200mm f4L USM without the IS for brand new at $600, with used lenses going for less than $500 on Amazon. You can't get any cheaper for an L-quality telephoto lens.

nautox
Mostly Lurking
11 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Sep 10, 2017 01:34 |  #20

You asked about a non Canon so I'll throw my hat into the ring.

I got earlier this year from fleabay a 'new open box' Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 SP LD for $375.00
This is not the newer VC USD version, but it is sharp at 2.8 and tack sharp at F4. It has inner focusing like the L lenses and has a little closer focusing distance over any any of the Canon's. Color and contrast is superb. I used to have a 2.8L IS -the old one, and this is thing comes close to it at nearly 1/3 the price.
My only (minor) gripe is the AF isn't super fast but it is quiet and smooth. I probably wouldn't take it to a football game but I would not hesitate to take into the pit of a fashion show runway.

If you really need IS and fast AF, the VC USD version of this lens is even better/sharper for around $700-ish.

Besides being inexpensive, between the two of you there would be a 2.8 lens option (for low light or more background blur) that you can borrow if the need arises.

Both of you having the same lenses may not be the most practical if you are in proximity of each other and have the convenience of trading & sharing :)

ELSELS
831 posts
Joined May 2009
Western New York, USA - BTW: I may appear online, but may be away from the computer.
Sep 14, 2017 12:54 |  #21

Bogino wrote in post #18442850 (external link)
I want to get a lens as a birthday gift for my daughter. I've decided to go with a 70-200mm. She is currently "borrowing" my Canon 70-200mm f4 non-IS which is the least priced of the 70-200's. I believe the most expensive is the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS at around $1,00 or so. And then there's the f4 with IS around $1K. Can I get a recommendation or 2 for a non-Canon version of the lens that would save some $$. Thank You.

Hello:

I have available for sale, this Canon mount - Tamron 70-300 VC *Vibration Compensation* (Stabilized) lens:

——————————————————————

Tamron 70-300mm SP 4-5.6 Di VC 62mm Ultra Silent Drive (model A005)...with caps and hood

(- Canon EF mount.)

Asking: $ 275 or Make Offer

——————————————————————

If interested, please contact me?

Thanks for your time,

Have a nice day -

Ed

~ ~ ~

sponsored links

4,160 views & 4 likes for this thread
Alternative to Canon 70-200
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.