Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases
Thread started 02 Sep 2017 (Saturday) 19:26
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Bag for urban/street photography

ericz34
Joined Jul 2016
LA
Sep 02, 2017 19:26 |  #1

I've been doing a lot of shooting at night in the city, and there's a few sketchy areas with a lot of homeless folk. I've been around there before without my camera and it isn't much of an issue, but with my camera I get a lot of people asking for spare change. Makes me a bit uncomfortable walking around the city with a massive camera in my hand.

So I'm looking for a relatively small backpack to carry a body and maybe 2 lenses.. at least I won't stand out so much.

sponsored links
mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,015 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post has been edited 3 months ago by mike_d.
Sep 02, 2017 20:04 |  #2

Maybe a smallish sling bag. I like my Think Tank Turnstyle 20 for a Canon with 2-3 f/2.8 zoom lenses . They make a smaller version if you're shooting mirrorless or primes.

James ­ Crockett
129 posts
Joined May 2017
Sep 03, 2017 10:33 |  #3

I use the domke f2.. it's nice. I got mine off eBay for 100 bucks I believe it was.

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Sep 03, 2017 16:13 |  #4

My street kit and travel kit

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/Cameras/L1009858_zpseb4z8rl2.jpg

Scottboarding
Joined May 2016
Sep 03, 2017 23:48 |  #5

I have this bag: https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com ...nt_Messenger_150_Fo​r.html (external link)

You could easily fit all of your lenses in this bag. I usually carry my Nikon FM2 with the 50mm lens attached, my 28mm, and a couple rolls of film, and a water bottle. Keys, phone, wallet, etc go in the zipper pouch. When I had my 7D I could carry my body with the 24-105mm attached, plus a 35mm f2, extra batteries, and a water bottle. It's an awesome bag, and they make a smaller and bigger version if this size doesn't work for you. It did for me!

Olympus E-M1 - Mitakon 25mm f0.95 - Olympus 25mm f1.8 - Olympus 17mm f1.8
Nikon FM2n - Nikon Ai-s 28mm f2.8 - Nikon Ai 50mm f1.4
Ricoh GRii

Ah-keong
Joined Apr 2016
Sep 04, 2017 01:37 |  #6

I am using a Think Tank digital holster 40 (for one gripped body and one lens).
If I need more, I will swop in my Tenba DNA 15 Messenger....

IMAGE: https://cdn3.volusion.com/na6ye.akxn9/v/vspfiles/photos/881-4.jpg?1417002020

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
http://www.thephoblogr​apher.com ...O-501-100-sec-at-f-16.jpg
Click here to see our image rules.

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART |
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT |
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |
Tenba DNA 15 Messenger | Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 40v2.0 | Speed Changer v2.0

alex66
202 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Sep 04, 2017 06:37 |  #7

I would suggest getting an insert for a pretty non descriptor bag, a messenger bag with no labels or simple cheep looking back pack. I am not so keen on backpacks in the urban environment as you can't see what is going on behind you. An old shoulder bag is preferable especially if it looks a mess a bit dirty etc, that being said I have never had issues in urban environments.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

2mnycars
Goldmember
2,992 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Canada
Post has been edited 3 months ago by 2mnycars.
Sep 04, 2017 15:25 |  #8

ericz34 wrote in post #18443158 (external link)
I've been doing a lot of shooting at night in the city, and there's a few sketchy areas with a lot of homeless folk. I've been around there before without my camera and it isn't much of an issue, but with my camera I get a lot of people asking for spare change. Makes me a bit uncomfortable walking around the city with a massive camera in my hand.

So I'm looking for a relatively small backpack to carry a body and maybe 2 lenses.. at least I won't stand out so much.

I have a Think Tank Streetwalker. It's the smallest version. My regret is the zippers are obvious. It opens out so someone can open it from behind

Like another poster i use a TT sling. It's the largest one. I like it

Finally, I have a Maxpedition Colossus for really gnarly walks. It can carry two Glocks and a lock blade for fast access. No, I don't have a Glock. I can carry my D300S with grip and walk around lens.

Dave L
I'm a bagaholic

rburgett
58 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Sep 05, 2017 10:25 |  #9

Depending on the sizes of your lenses, you might want to look at the Peak Design Sling.
I don't have personal experience with it, but it looks like a handy bag to have for street photography.

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Southampton Hampshire UK
Sep 07, 2017 15:45 |  #10

Another vote for the F2.......

5DIII, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

SunD3v1L
46 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Sep 10, 2017 15:59 |  #11

Lowepro Video Fastpack 150 AW or Wandrd PRVKE 21.

I have both. Both are excellent.

sponsored links

930 views & 2 likes for this thread
Bag for urban/street photography
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.